C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019, 1st, NJD) Part 6

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Both of his last seasons he had 13 points in his first ten games of the season.
yeah, not saying Hall is bad out there, but something is off with his decision making and how he looks on the ice to me..flubbing some passes, second guessing himself at times - hell, even when he nearly got decapitated out there I didn't understand what he was doing there to even be in that position..I am sure he is a bit rusty and will shake it off, but Devils need this guy to get going, it will only help take pressure off Action Jackson..

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Hall hasn't played NHL hockey for nine months. He's playing on a team that hasn't found its legs collectively. The flubbing passes and poor decisionmaking are coming from pretty much everyone who isn't Blake Coleman.

So they got two points out of horrific hockey. I am not a fan of Hynes but the third period last night was encouraging team-wide. Hughes looked better and there was more puck support overall. We'll see if they can sustain it.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I like what I'm seeing. Jack oozes skill but he's also very raw. He's had some turnovers but he's also had the puck on his stick a lot... and when he does have the puck you can tell he's trying to drive the play and make something happen. Chemistry, time, experience etc etc... Don't write this kid off after 4 games... stay patient and it will pay off.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Hall always starts slowly. And he's hit quite a few posts already.

Hughes is improving. I think putting him with Simmonds and/or Zacha has been a good move. It's absurd that this coaching staff needs to trial and error its way to what should be obvious (pairing an undersized rookie with size and/or defensive acumen).
Brutal start for Hall. And just a reminder posts are NOT the samething as goals or points FACT

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Hahaha, there's a lot of salt on the sidewalk today.

Four games in.

Four games.

But yeah, by now, I'm pretty sure Heinola will be the best player in this draft class!

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014
Heres 1 thing ill never get with him. He had all the hype but he dominated a us junior league when he could have been playing in the OHL. I never got why he didn't go to Missisagua, he draws comparisions to Kane and Matthews but both went to the OHL, and the NLA before the NHL. Can he be sent to the OHL? Or is that impossible now.

Why would he go to the OHL when the USNTDP is an option??

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

NTDP is not an option and would be a waste of time . The USHL is a good league though but hard to transition from there to the NHL. He can go to the OHL but the best option would be the AHL, as I would think it would be too late to play college as he would have to enroll in classes. Regardless far to early to be saying any of this , Svechnikov had an adjustment period last year as well. Hughes will get better and NJ will make the decision if it is better for him to gain more strength this year. Doesn't take away from his potential if he needs more time.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I mean I think given the path he took it might have made more sense to go for the OHL rather then the development program directly to the NHL. The benefit of the development program in my opinion is feeding the guys into the NCAA....If you aren't going to fast track into college hockey then go play a more pro like schedule in junior hockey.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
NTDP is not an option and would be a waste of time . The USHL is a good league though but hard to transition from there to the NHL. He can go to the OHL but the best option would be the AHL, as I would think it would be too late to play college as he would have to enroll in classes. Regardless far to early to be saying any of this , Svechnikov had an adjustment period last year as well. Hughes will get better and NJ will make the decision if it is better for him to gain more strength this year. Doesn't take away from his potential if he needs more time.

Generally the AHL isn't the best place for players like Hughes that could use more time to physical mature and develop--the ideal spot for that is the NCAA, but he's already signed his NHL contract so that's off the table. I would suspect the OHL is the preferable option.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
People coming to conclusions after 4 games are being reactionary, however it's also not crazy to suggest Hughes isn't ready. Look at the transition he's making. USHL to NHL is pretty much without precedent. His whole situation is quite unique. I honestly think he if was anything other than a 1st overall pick he would have not been signed right away and we would have went to play college hockey first.

With that all being said, the fact he doesn't look out of place in the NHL is ridiculous and a testament to his abilities. I don't know. It's a difficult situation. At this point, as someone else said, he's signed so all the Devils can do is either send him to the AHL or let him continue to learn on the job in the NHL. I hope he gets on the board soon!

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
People coming to conclusions after 4 games are being reactionary, however it's also not crazy to suggest Hughes isn't ready. Look at the transition he's making. USHL to NHL is pretty much without precedent. /QUOTE]

Yup, the closest I can remember is Girgensons and he went to the AHL for a season first.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Girgensons is also so different, man amongst boys. AHL was good for him in all the reasons it might not be in Jack's case

Girgensons also should have done a season or two in college or another AHL year. I think Hughes should have went NCAA for a year since as it's extremely rare that players his size play right away in the NHL at 18.

Reactions: tealhockey

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Although I think the Devils would be doing far far faaaaar more damage to Hughes by demoting him than letting him struggle in the NHL, there are two examples of an AHL demotion to a 1stOA that were and were not damaging.

Owen Nolan in 1990 made the Nords out of camp but was sent down soon after. I know he had injuries so it could have been more of a rehab. Really struggled in the NHL that season but that 1991 Nords team was historically putrid. He scored 40 the next season.

On the flip side, Joe Murphy was demoted to Adirondack after five games with the “Dead Things” in 1986. He was never that good in Detroit, but then again he wasn’t a consensus top pick like Hughes and was more part of a small top group with Carson etc. Doubtful the AHL hurt Murphy but it didn’t help either. Was traded to Edmonton for Carson anyway and won a Cup on the Kid Line in 1990, plus had a few good years in Chicago before concussions destroyed his life.

IMO, First overall picks deserve the benefit of the doubt, and every veteran in that room understands this. Hughes did his part the last two years and the Devils should handle this no differently than others before.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Although I think the Devils would be doing far far faaaaar more damage to Hughes by demoting him than letting him struggle in the NHL, there are two examples of an AHL demotion to a 1stOA that were and were not damaging.

Owen Nolan in 1990 made the Nords out of camp but was sent down soon after. I know he had injuries so it could have been more of a rehab. Really struggled in the NHL that season but that 1991 Nords team was historically putrid. He scored 40 the next season.

On the flip side, Joe Murphy was demoted to Adirondack after five games with the “Dead Things” in 1986. He was never that good in Detroit, but then again he wasn’t a consensus top pick like Hughes and was more part of a small top group with Carson etc. Doubtful the AHL hurt Murphy but it didn’t help either. Was traded to Edmonton for Carson anyway and won a Cup on the Kid Line in 1990, plus had a few good years in Chicago before concussions destroyed his life.

IMO, First overall picks deserve the benefit of the doubt, and every veteran in that room understands this. Hughes did his part the last two years and the Devils should handle this no differently than others before.
IMO doesn't seem like examples from 30+ years ago are particularly relevant, but either way every player is different and grinding it out in the AHL doesn't seem like the solution for a kid like Jack. If he was going to play somewhere else I think a proper top-of-a-pyramid league like SHL or even NLA would be much more appealing. Really doubt they send him anywhere, they're just going to ride this out

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
IMO doesn't seem like examples from 30+ years ago are particularly relevant, but either way every player is different and grinding it out in the AHL doesn't seem like the solution for a kid like Jack. If he was going to play somewhere else I think a proper top-of-a-pyramid league like SHL or even NLA would be much more appealing. Really doubt they send him anywhere, they're just going to ride this out

Of course it’s relevant because Hughes was a first overall pick and an AHL demotion hasn’t happened to a forward in 30 years. You think Shero doesn’t know that?

Stefan wasn’t demoted. Thornton wasn’t demoted. Staal wasn’t demoted. Lecavalier wasn’t demoted. Wickenheiser wasn’t demoted. Hell, Brian Lawton wasn’t even demoted his rookie year and he was fresh out of HS. All had either poor or nondescript rookie years in comparison to most, if not all forwards taken first.

Murphy and Nolan were the only two forwards in NHL history who were demoted to the AHL the same year they were drafted first overall. That’s it. Draft is over 50 years old.

The AHL option is silly talk. Only way he plays there is if he gets hurt and needs to rehab.

And the Europe option would be even sillier. Neither the Devils nor his parents are entrusting a non-affiliated organization across the Atlantic with the post-draft development of their most prized possession. Works for Euros, not for teenagers from America. Matthews went to Europe because the NHL wasn’t an option yet and wanted nothing to do with Everett.

It’s NHL or bust. At least for this season.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
And the Europe option would be even sillier. Neither the Devils nor his parents are entrusting a non-affiliated organization across the Atlantic with the post-draft development of their most prized possession. Works for Euros, not for teenagers from America. Matthews went to Europe because the NHL wasn’t an option yet and wanted nothing to do with Everett.

Are you saying it didn't work for Matthews regardless of why he went to Europe?

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Of course it’s relevant because Hughes was a first overall pick and an AHL demotion hasn’t happened to a forward in 30 years. You think Shero doesn’t know that?

Stefan wasn’t demoted. Thornton wasn’t demoted. Staal wasn’t demoted. Lecavalier wasn’t demoted. Wickenheiser wasn’t demoted. Hell, Brian Lawton wasn’t even demoted his rookie year and he was fresh out of HS. All had either poor or nondescript rookie years in comparison to most, if not all forwards taken first.

Murphy and Nolan were the only two forwards in NHL history who were demoted to the AHL the same year they were drafted first overall. That’s it. Draft is over 50 years old.

The AHL option is silly talk. Only way he plays there is if he gets hurt and needs to rehab.

You really think the league looked anything like it does today? The dead puck era has come and gone since then. The way athletes are today is radically different. The NHL is different. The AHL is different. The world is different. These comparisons are useful for trivia, that's about it. The European idea is so silly compared to referencing a guy who hasn't even played in the NHL this decade right? Fascinating thought process there

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Most of the players you mention weren't even eligible to be assigned to the AHL.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
I think the concerning issue is that so many Devil fans have brutally ripped the coaching staff.

Hughes needs good coaching and excellent mentoring.

There are enough class vets on the Club to help him personally.

But if he continues to have some issues, I would fire the entire staff.

Don't forget how many potential stars had their careers screwed up due to poor coaching.

I certainly expect management and ownership to fix this long before it becomes much of a problem, they should be discussing this sooner than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad