C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019, 1st, NJD) Part 6

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
It’s a tough league, he’s showing enough to give me hope he will figure it out by the midway point. Not ready to throw in the towel on his rookie year.

Devils as a whole also look like a work in progress. More talent than last year by a mile, just need to make it work effectively.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
Physically, mentally, time and space, not ready. Its obvious he has skating speed and skill, but that's not a enough if you wan't to succeed in the NHL, i don't think he should be playing in the NHL right now.

Heres 1 thing ill never get with him. He had all the hype but he dominated a us junior league when he could have been playing in the OHL. I never got why he didn't go to Missisagua, he draws comparisions to Kane and Matthews but both went to the OHL, and the NLA before the NHL. Can he be sent to the OHL? Or is that impossible now.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Heres 1 thing ill never get with him. He had all the hype but he dominated a us junior league when he could have been playing in the OHL. I never got why he didn't go to Missisagua, he draws comparisions to Kane and Matthews but both went to the OHL, and the NLA before the NHL. Can he be sent to the OHL? Or is that impossible now.
Kane and Matthews were late birthdays, so they were not eligible for the NHL Draft after completing their two year stints with the US NTDP. Hughes was draft eligible upon graduating from the NTDP.

Apples vs. oranges.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It’s a tough league, he’s showing enough to give me hope he will figure it out by the midway point. Not ready to throw in the towel on his rookie year.

Devils as a whole also look like a work in progress. More talent than last year by a mile, just need to make it work effectively.

This is about the long and short of the truth here.

Jack is fine. He's made some fantastic plays that just didn't hit the scoreboard yet. And for a guy his size, there's probably gonna be more adjustment than prior #1 picks. He can and will figure it out, it's got nothing to do with his skill or his ability. I'm optimistic Jack is gonna figure it out FAR before the halfway point of the season. As he adds size he'll add points and pan out into a Brayden Point type down the road. And plus it doesn't help that the Devils are a mess right now and have little to no structure or game plan anymore. Things will get better once Hynes is let go of.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
He also played college teams while admittedly dominating the USHL, and he did pretty well against the NCAA, so the OHL wouldn't be the move for him at that point. He didn't have the frame for pro (or college) last year realistically, so he chose to have fun at the NTDP that year. He could have played in Europe or college this year if anything, most players need a year

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
Hughes is looking better game by game, it's an adjustment process and he already looks ahead of the curve I think most would have expected. Some of the moves he was making last night are full of a different sort of confidence. It's all about learning what he can and can't get away with at the next level. I'm actually pretty impressed by his progress over just four games.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Point being that had Matthews been born two days earlier, he probably would not have played in Europe for a season. Neither Kane nor Matthews had the option of playing in the NHL or AHL after graduating from the NTDP -- their choices were CHL, NCAA or Europe.
USA had a long run of their absolute best young players being born between September 16th and December 31st. Add Seth Jones and Eichel to the list. All those guys would have made the immediate jump if they were eligible.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
This is about the long and short of the truth here.

Jack is fine. He's made some fantastic plays that just didn't hit the scoreboard yet. And for a guy his size, there's probably gonna be more adjustment than prior #1 picks. He can and will figure it out, it's got nothing to do with his skill or his ability. I'm optimistic Jack is gonna figure it out FAR before the halfway point of the season. As he adds size he'll add points and pan out into a Brayden Point type down the road. And plus it doesn't help that the Devils are a mess right now and have little to no structure or game plan anymore. Things will get better once Hynes is let go of.

Brayden Point was a third round pick

that being said jack will be just fine

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
from what I have seen so far this year, I would be more concerned with Taylor Hall than Jack Hughes...Hall just isn't himself yet and Hughes has gotten better every game I have watched..

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Hall always starts slowly. And he's hit quite a few posts already.

Hughes is improving. I think putting him with Simmonds and/or Zacha has been a good move. It's absurd that this coaching staff needs to trial and error its way to what should be obvious (pairing an undersized rookie with size and/or defensive acumen).

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
People here sure have strange way to read hockey, i guess not everyone understands hockey like most fans do. (understandable)
- avg hockey fans really should stop ooglng those advanced stats and what not, they paint a pretty picture sure, but gives you false hope

4 games in the NHL thus far, not in a single one has Jack shown that he is NHL ready and belongs with the big boys.
- last night he got pick pocketed and physically out played by Markus Granlund for crying out loud!

You decided to come back after someone outed you as having some
Of the most ignorant hot takes around? Like your take on Matthews?

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Yeah your out to lunch. He played good last night. He looks way better than Hischier right now. Nobody on the Devils has really shown anything to get excited about
We should screen shot that take of his lol. Hughes is NHL ready. Was fine the past two games and got robbed of getting on the board a few times the past two games. Even in the Jets game in OT.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
People here sure have strange way to read hockey, i guess not everyone understands hockey like most fans do. (understandable)
- avg hockey fans really should stop ooglng those advanced stats and what not, they paint a pretty picture sure, but gives you false hope

4 games in the NHL thus far, not in a single one has Jack shown that he is NHL ready and belongs with the big boys.
- last night he got pick pocketed and physically out played by Markus Granlund for crying out loud!
Do you ever look back at your posts and think "oof, I actually said that?!" and cringe a bit. Or do you just stand behind what you say and the way you say them, even years later.

But yea, if you ignore advanced stats and any game footage from the last 2 games, I agree with you, he isn't NHL ready. But if you are forced to take into consideration the last 2 games, I'm sure you would come to the same conclusion as most people who actually watched them and see he was one of the best players out there both nights.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't think he would struggle for the first bit while adjusting, but I don't blame you for not seeing what he will become sooner rather than later, "I guess not everyone understands hockey like most fans do. (understandable)"

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
He was playing on the perimeter the first two games, but since then he's been really engaging. Attacking the middle of the ice, circling around the zone and drawing defenders out of position, dekeing out D. He had some beauty assists robbed by lack of finishing ability/excellent D.

I'm not worried about him. I'm worried about special teams and defense.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Do you ever look back at your posts and think "oof, I actually said that?!" and cringe a bit. Or do you just stand behind what you say and the way you say them, even years later.

But yea, if you ignore advanced stats and any game footage from the last 2 games, I agree with you, he isn't NHL ready. But if you are forced to take into consideration the last 2 games, I'm sure you would come to the same conclusion as most people who actually watched them and see he was one of the best players out there both nights.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't think he would struggle for the first bit while adjusting, but I don't blame you for not seeing what he will become sooner rather than later, "I guess not everyone understands hockey like most fans do. (understandable)"
his takes on the Hawks board are just as cringe worthy...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad