C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
A very underrated part of what Pettersson will bring to the Canucks is his pure skill and threat to score will generate so much more room for Boeser to play with. Boeser is a dangerous sniper but not the greatest at carrying the puck and making space, so opponents just collapse on him in the offensive zone. Pettersson will make it so that people will have to choose to either cover Boeser or Pettersson.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
He's now #1 in +/- in the SHL. Although not a PKer or a shutdown guy, he's pretty darn good defensively
Last game I watched live he actually blocked 4 shots two of which he had to make a hell of an effort to be able to reach.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Well I guess being the best player in the SHL is the bottom for him... excited on how much higher he'll go.

Feb 19, 2018
As a Canuck fan I can’t wait to watch the next core led by EP and co. I think his Hockey IQ is his biggest strength and as far as filling out his IQ is the one saving grace in order to play in the NHL next year.

besser

Dec 27, 2017
Vancouver
Well I guess being the best player in the SHL is the bottom for him... excited on how much higher he'll go.

Not much apparently because his competition isn't as good as it was when Forsberg or Backstrom was playing plus Tolvenan is killing the KHL with his 0.72 ppg, the same league Nigel Dawes and Linden Vey are among the top scorers.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I see these type of comments thrown out here among many prospects over the years almost to point out that the only reason the player scored was because of terrible defense in a lower level league. There is terrible teams and terrible plays in the nhl every week that are just dreadful. Last night sam gagner let a predator walk around him in OT with the softest defensive play and stick check I have seen on the game winning goal. If a prospect did that people would point out that soft d play would never happen in the nhl. The nhl also has some terrible defense.

Literally said I don't want to take anything away from Elias and thus I was only pointing out the bad defense on the particular play. But great write up...

I'm from Sweden and I watch quite abit of SHL, it's quite a structured league but on that goal I have no idea what the defense was thinking. Again, I'd like to make it clear that I'm not taking anything away from your guy here.

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
Literally said I don't want to take anything away from Elias and thus I was only pointing out the bad defense on the particular play. But great write up...

I'm from Sweden and I watch quite abit of SHL, it's quite a structured league but on that goal I have no idea what the defense was thinking. Again, I'd like to make it clear that I'm not taking anything away from your guy here.
It was a broken play so their defense were out of position, they had been defending his side quite well up until that point.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Petterson gets way too much negativity here. I don't even like the Canucks but they have a helluva prospect in this guy.
Agreed. Its kinda nonsense. I think if he adds 20 lbs by the preseason he will be just fine adapting to the NHL physicalness

Reactions: timbermen

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Nice. Hiponiemi at 2 is interesting. I know he's tearing the WHL but is he really better than Tolvanen and Haiskanen?

It's weird.

Statistically it's an exceedingly impressive season but a lot of guys on that team are doing well in that department.

We saw Sam Steel put up 2 P/G alongside Brooks last year but now he's dropped off quite a bit.

Heponiemi is still a good prospect but I expect something similar to happen to him when Steenbergen leaves and I sure as hell don't value him over Tolvanen or Heiskanen.

Reactions: 42

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Agreed. Its kinda nonsense. I think if he adds 20 lbs by the preseason he will be just fine adapting to the NHL physicalness
I don't think that's necessary. The league isn't that physical anymore. If Gaudreau can play at his current size, so can Pettersson.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
You can add 15 pounds or so if you work out and change your diet. Now, that isn't always what you want to do as it will effect how you move etc....

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
I don't think that's necessary. The league isn't that physical anymore. If Gaudreau can play at his current size, so can Pettersson.
Except Gaudreau is a elite skater, and Pettersson is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino