C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
I think it's now obvious that next year he will either be playing NHL or AHL. Nothing left to do in SHL after the post-season.

And remember for all of you that are talking about the transition from bigger rink to NHL rinks.. he is the top prospect not playing in NHL, he will find a way as all very talented hockey player does. If the coach tells him to only worry about his offense, he will deliver. Also if he's playing with the Twins it could be a very important year in his dev.

Even if he comes in at 170 lbs. If he can play a style like Backstrom/Crosby/Datsyuk where they bend themself along the boards to protect the puck, he will be just fine protecting the puck. Even if Backstrom is 210, Crosby is 200 and Datysuk was 195, EP is still taller at 6'2''.

And not without saying that he's not oblige to play the same style as the players that I used for exemple above. I personally think he will be in the same mould as Barzal and Keller. As of, he will be a dynamic forward with a lot of tool in his offensive game. Even if his sakting is not elite as many of you are saying.

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
I hope they play him in the American league as a center, before coming into the NHL full time.
I agree. Even half a year in the AHL playing with Dahlen, and Lind would be a great way for him to develop his ability to play on a smaller ice surface at a high level with men. He can also work on his strength and build some more muscle. No need to rush him.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Don't really agree with grooming him in the AHL first. The kid is putting up unprecedented numbers in Sweden for his age. He is too good to play in the AHL, despite his weight.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Don't really agree with grooming him in the AHL first. The kid is putting up unprecedented numbers in Sweden for his age. He is too good to play in the AHL, despite his weight.

Agreed. We'll see in training camp that he's ready to play in the NHL

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
If they want him as a winger, then yeah he can be in the lineup next year; however, if they want him to be a center then AHL is the best route.

I don't see him playing center at 165 right away. I guess it all depends on how strong he shows up at camp.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Better to start fresh next year then enter the Canuck 2017/2018 circus.:nod:

Looking forward to seeing him play in the NHL.

Canucks need to make some moves at the draft and get some more young players on the roster.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Looking forward to seeing him play in the NHL.

Canucks need to make some moves at the draft and get some more young players on the roster.

In terms of young players.

Boeser, Horvat, Petterson, Juolevi, Demko (goalie), top 5 pick 2018, Jonathan Dahlen, Kole Lind and Gaudette. We have a lot of them that will be coming in next year... I think a lot of us are more concerned about the defense. Absolutely atrocious. If for some luck the stars align and we get Dahlin, I think we will be in good shape for the next few years. Being bottom 5 the past 4 years is just demoralizing, and I think we have lost more than half of our members in these boards. I can't even imagine how Oiler fans feel.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
In terms of young players.

Boeser, Horvat, Petterson, Juolevi, Demko (goalie), top 5 pick 2018, Jonathan Dahlen, Kole Lind and Gaudette. We have a lot of them that will be coming in next year... I think a lot of us are more concerned about the defense. Absolutely atrocious. If for some luck the stars align and we get Dahlin, I think we will be in good shape for the next few years. Being bottom 5 the past 4 years is just demoralizing, and I think we have lost more than half of our members in these boards. I can't even imagine how Oiler fans feel.

Haha well as a Ranger, we just allowed 55 SOG against you guys. So if you wanna talk about atrocious defense, i hear ya. I would frankly almost say that.. Whats defense? Do we need one to play?

Poor hank.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
The Sedins have always have excellent strength on their skates, making them a hassle to play against along the boards. Their power game has always been massively underrated.

Nicklas Backstrom weighs 210 lbs. He is heavy enough on his skates to push through traffic.

One can't rule out an eventual increase to a sufficient level of strength in the NHL for Pettersson. Kyle Turris and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins both took several years to mature into 190-lb players with sufficient balance on their skates not to be impeded as easily by the opposition.

Pettersson either needs to become quicker or much stronger, though, than he currently is. He struggles in traffic, and one off-season might not be enough for him to completely overcome this issue. The NHL opposition closes in so quickly on the puck carrier and on loose pucks that he'll be in traffic much more than he has ever been in his hockey career.

I'm not entirely sure he will be ready for the NHL next season.

I love this prospect! But I am certain you are correct about your central idea here. Except, I think he has the tools and can move well... (minus the lower body strength). Instead of skating at the speed he is capable of skating, I think he is actually choosing to slow down and use all the space around him to pass into, shoot, or play in. He will not have the same space small ice in either the AHL or NHL.

A poster indirectly mocked assessments like these that were being made while EP was at the WJC's; but he needs to move/explode, drive even, to create angles and attack space differently, rather than passively standing, looking, and finding space to pass into. He will need to learn to create the choices/angles to play from because they will not be there for him over here. And sometimes, that means fighting through people and winning control of space physically. He does not have the strength NOR the mentality just yet. But he has the decision making skills and the technique to impose himself once he changes the mentality.

It will take time for his body to mature, but I am convinced he can use his skills and smarts to develop the new strategies once his body developed the required strength and balance.

I just believe he is going to have to do it in the AHL for at least part of the season next year (or any year he finally chooses to come over- as he might instinctively know this and choose to stay in Sweden for another year).

When he was drafted, so many people commenting on him suggested he was really talented, but that he would need even more time than usual to make the jump. After watching him so many times now, I think it is clear where these comments were coming from.

I guess, who knows what one off season can do, but I take it slightly further than you "Blade Paradigm" and think it would be best for him to spend a year (or most of one) in the AHL figuring this out and continuing to get stronger while changing his attacking mentality.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Haha well as a Ranger, we just allowed 55 SOG against you guys. So if you wanna talk about atrocious defense, i hear ya. I would frankly almost say that.. Whats defense? Do we need one to play?

Poor hank.

Since you're a Ranger fan, I feel bad that you folks still have Alain Vigneault. Looking at your fan base posts, it's like De Ja Vu for me on what the Canuck fan base was saying half a decade ago. Did you guys enjoy his love affair for Tanner Glass and fourth line scrubs? If you go by our timeline AV should be gone real soon.

It's really funny, you guys have the exact same timeline as us. Have Alain Vigneault coach your team while having a franchise goalie (Luongo for us Lunqvist for you). Win some playoff rounds and go to the epitome of greatness in the Stanley Cup Finals.....only to crash and burn like there's no tomorrow.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Since you're a Ranger fan, I feel bad that you folks still have Alain Vigneault. Looking at your fan base posts, it's like De Ja Vu for me on what the Canuck fan base was saying half a decade ago. Did you guys enjoy his love affair for Tanner Glass and fourth line scrubs? If you go by our timeline AV should be gone real soon.

It's really funny, you guys have the exact same timeline as us. Have Alain Vigneault coach your team while having a franchise goalie (Luongo for us Lunqvist for you). Win some playoff rounds and go to the epitome of greatness in the Stanley Cup Finals.....only to crash and burn like there's no tomorrow.

If AV is still the ranger coach the next season something is really really wrong in our organisation. The NYR fans have wanted him gone for a looooooooooong time and i think #fireAV is the most trending reply on the rangers Twitter posts.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Having watched him for his last 10 or so games, I really don't think Pettersson needs AHL time at this point, even as a center. He's so good already that he could easily play on the third line right now. You shouldn't rush some players, but there's also a risk of over cooking.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Having watched him for his last 10 or so games, I really don't think Pettersson needs AHL time at this point, even as a center. He's so good already that he could easily play on the third line right now. You shouldn't rush some players, but there's also a risk of over cooking.
Sedims, naslund, backstrom forsberg never playee in ahl.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
:huh: SHL 2nd place (and best Swede) in points with some missed games. Yet not good enough for the Olympics....?

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
He's not going to play as center. If you force him then he needs to start training faceoffs because right now, he's horrible.

Also, Utica might scare him away. Not a great way to introduce a young player to NA. Im not american and even I know that place is a xxxxhole

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
He's not going to play as center. If you force him then he needs to start training faceoffs because right now, he's horrible.

Also, Utica might scare him away. Not a great way to introduce a young player to NA. Im not american and even I know that place is a xxxxhole
I’m assuming his faceoffs will get better as he gets stronger.
Anyways, If they don’t see him as a center I sure hope the Canucks go for Tkachuk or Wahlstrom if they don’t win the top 3.
Regardless I think they should go for either, but If they don’t see Pettersson as a center, the choice should be obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad