C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I’m assuming his faceoffs will get better as he gets stronger.
Anyways, If they don’t see him as a center I sure hope the Canucks go for Tkachuk or Wahlstrom if they don’t win the top 3.
Regardless I think they should go for either, but If they don’t see Pettersson as a center, the choice should be obvious.
I think the Canucks will still go for a defensemen if we don't get a top 3 pick.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
man hes a GREAT prospect wow... I am actually quite excited for Nucks and their fans having a top Euro prospect(Pettersson) crushing it and hopefully coming next year, THE top NCAA prospect(Gaudette) tearing up his league, and one of the better guys in the WHL(Lind) dominating juniors.... Great to see and Nucks are going to be a real fun team to watch soon

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
If they want him as a winger, then yeah he can be in the lineup next year; however, if they want him to be a center then AHL is the best route.

I don't see him playing center at 165 right away. I guess it all depends on how strong he shows up at camp.

Plenty of rookie centres start their careers on the wing in the NHL before moving back to centre when they adjust to the league/get stronger. I fully expect that to be the plan with Pettersson, as Gaudette should be on the team and is more physically ready to be centre at this point.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
:huh: SHL 2nd place (and best Swede) in points with some missed games. Yet not good enough for the Olympics....?

It is a shame, if for no other reason that it is not exactly common that a player in that age is the best player in SHL.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
  • Some more crazy Elias Pettersson stats:
  • Has scored 50p while only averaging 16min a game
  • Has only been on ice for 12 goals against all season
  • Is only 1 point behind shl leader despite lagging 7 games behind
  • Has 11 more points than nearest teammate
  • Has already scored over 100 points in mens leagues despite being a teenageer
  • Second in +/- in shl
  • Only second junior in history to reach 50p in shl

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
  • Some more crazy Elias Pettersson stats:
  • Has scored 50p while only averaging 16min a game
  • Has only been on ice for 12 goals against all season
  • Is only 1 point behind shl leader despite lagging 7 games behind
  • Has 11 more points than nearest teammate
  • Has already scored over 100 points in mens leagues despite being a teenageer
  • Second in +/- in shl
  • Only second junior in history to reach 50p in shl

Wow. He's gonna be a good one for sure.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Having watched him for his last 10 or so games, I really don't think Pettersson needs AHL time at this point, even as a center. He's so good already that he could easily play on the third line right now. You shouldn't rush some players, but there's also a risk of over cooking.

The gm of vaxjo also went on air saying he’s ready for the nhl.

He does need to add more weight if he is still 167.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
We saw how that worked for them;)

Yeah, Sweden tried to play safe and defense first with not giving Dahlin any playing time and not giving E.Pettersson a chance at all. Turned out as a turd of a tournament for Sweden. A good day for hockey though, shows that talent beats mediocrity any day.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
man hes a GREAT prospect wow... I am actually quite excited for Nucks and their fans having a top Euro prospect(Pettersson) crushing it and hopefully coming next year, THE top NCAA prospect(Gaudette) tearing up his league, and one of the better guys in the WHL(Lind) dominating juniors.... Great to see and Nucks are going to be a real fun team to watch soon
VANs defence Corp is a big issue though. If only they could draft Dahlin. Then they’d be set. I’m loving what Elite Pete is doing though. So glad he’s ours.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
VANs defence Corp is a big issue though. If only they could draft Dahlin. Then they’d be set. I’m loving what Elite Pete is doing though. So glad he’s ours.

Ya agreed.. Seems like alot of teams though over the years that have a deadly forward crop lack in the defense area. If you guys can win Dahlin and if Juolevi turns out unreal then you will be laughing!!

Reactions: BlueGreen

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Pettersson now leads SHL despite missing 8 games from wjc.

jTNojsz.png

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
You’re correct our ‘d’ situation is far behind our forwards...
We have a couple of significant ‘ifs’ that could change that: Tryamkin coming back and OJ.
We should get a stud from the draft...but he’s probably a minimum of 2-3 years away from making an impact.

I’m also interested to see how Rathbone progresses over the next 2 seasons.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
You know your prospect is doing well when you're disappointed he only got 1 goal/point as a 19 year old in the SHL

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I did not expect him to have such a great shot. It was not in the scouting package at the time of the draft. Brock Boeser-esque. They both like using traditional wrist shots instead of the hybrid or full snap shot that most players in the NHL use these days. It's quite unique now.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
@Elias Pettersson I've mentioned this before, but Pettersson in an interview early in the season said he was to reliant on passing, and had a weaker shot. Elias correctly assessed his game, and the need for a great shot to open up passing lanes and become a multi-dimensional offensive threat at the SHL level. He spent all summer working on developing it into a weapon, and it's really paid dividends. Impressive self awarenss, and commitment to improving his game.

Reactions: Elias Pettersson

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I did not expect him to have such a great shot. It was not in the scouting package at the time of the draft. Brock Boeser-esque. They both like using traditional wrist shots instead of the hybrid or full snap shot that most players in the NHL use these days. It's quite unique now.

Don't wan't to take anything away from Elias but man that's some horrible defense on that goal.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Don't wan't to take anything away from Elias but man that's some horrible defense on that goal.

I didnt watch the game, but i'm guessing this was scored right after a 5on3 PP turned into a 5on4? Otherwise no way he gets that type of space in the NHL.

I think the most impressive thing I have read about Pettersson is that he has only been on the ice for 12 goals against in 41 games. That is crazy.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I didnt watch the game, but i'm guessing this was scored right after a 5on3 PP turned into a 5on4? Otherwise no way he gets that type of space in the NHL.

I think the most impressive thing I have read about Pettersson is that he has only been on the ice for 12 goals against in 41 games. That is crazy.
He's now #1 in +/- in the SHL. Although not a PKer or a shutdown guy, he's pretty darn good defensively

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

I see these type of comments thrown out here among many prospects over the years almost to point out that the only reason the player scored was because of terrible defense in a lower level league. There is terrible teams and terrible plays in the nhl every week that are just dreadful. Last night sam gagner let a predator walk around him in OT with the softest defensive play and stick check I have seen on the game winning goal. If a prospect did that people would point out that soft d play would never happen in the nhl. The nhl also has some terrible defense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad