C Easton Cowan - London Knights, OHL (2023, 28th, TOR)

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
where would he go in a redraft
I would think it’s fair to assume he would crack the top 20 after the year he’s had.
He wouldn't go top 20 in my opinion.

Among the players drafted in front of him here are those who would be picked after in my opinion: Honzek, Sale, Stramel, Stenberg

Some who might go after, but I'm not sure/pretty equal value now: Wood, Molendyk, Bonk, Barlow, Danielson, Ritchie

However, there are some players drafted after him who might be drafted before him in a redraft: Brindley, Rehkopf, Nadeau, Cristall

So he would basically be drafted at the same spot imo

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
He wouldn't go top 20 in my opinion.

Among the players drafted in front of him here are those who would be picked after in my opinion: Honzek, Sale, Stramel, Stenberg

Some who might go after, but I'm not sure/pretty equal value now: Wood, Molendyk, Bonk, Barlow, Danielson, Ritchie

However, there are some players drafted after him who might be drafted before him in a redraft: Brindley, Rehkopf, Nadeau, Cristall

So he would basically be drafted at the same spot imo
One could argue you take the OHLs leading ppg player over Simashev, Reinbacher, Danielson, Barlow, Moore and everyone taken in the 20s mins Perrault

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
Reinbacher and Simashev would absolutely still be drafted before Cowan. I'm a Habs fan and hated the Reinbacher pick, but he's an excellent defensive dman. Moore is an elite skater with solid offensive upside I'd take him before Cowan also

Reactions: Flynn84

genk

Nov 15, 2015
Cowan has had about the best possible year you could ask* for. Second best offensive OHL season, broke the modern-day OHL point streak record, tremendously good PKer, and an all-situation go-to guy for the Knights. He’s pretty handily top 20 in a redraft.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Cowan has had about the best possible year you could for. Second best offensive OHL season, broke the modern-day OHL point streak record, tremendously good PKer, and an all-situation go-to guy for the Knights. He’s pretty handily top 20 in a redraft.

He’s a guy who went way ahead of where he was ranked based on a projection and that projection has come through and justified the pick but not a lot more than that.

Reactions: jfhabs and Vector

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
Cowan has had about the best possible year you could for. Second best offensive OHL season, broke the modern-day OHL point streak record, tremendously good PKer, and an all-situation go-to guy for the Knights. He’s pretty handily top 20 in a redraft.

Wouldn't you pick Brindley, Rehkopf and Cristall before him (which were drafted after) Then you'd have to tell me 11 players who were drafted before him that shouldn't have been to show that he's a top 20 pick of the years.

I'll give you 4: Honzek, Sale, Stramel, Stenberg,

Name me 7 others who are less valuable prospects now.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Wouldn't you pick Brindley, Rehkopf and Cristall before him (which were drafted after) Then you'd have to tell me 11 players who were drafted before him that shouldn't have been to show that he's a top 20 pick of the years.

I don’t see any argument for why Cristall and Rehkopf should go over Cowan.

And I’d rather have Cowan than Bonk, Moore, Barlow, Yager, Molendyk, Ritchie.

Just a loaded draft class overall. Don’t think anyone saw it being this deep of a draft with all the focus being on Bedard.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I would take Cowan over Cristall without even blinking. That one isn’t all the close. The rest at this point just kind of comes down to personal preference in the individual players.

Mar 12, 2009
No chance, a lot of prospects from that draft are having strong seasons. Does that also mean Denver Barkey would go top 20 too? lmao.
Barkey is much smaller and lacks the away-from-the-puck skills. To me, it is very funny if you lyao to that, but some are more easily entertained than others I suppose.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don’t see any argument for why Cristall and Rehkopf should go over Cowan.

And I’d rather have Cowan than Bonk, Moore, Barlow, Yager, Molendyk, Ritchie.

Just a loaded draft class overall. Don’t think anyone saw it being this deep of a draft with all the focus being on Bedard.
Everyone saw it being a deep class? The class was hyped up for more than just Bedard

Mar 12, 2009
I would take Cowan over Cristall without even blinking. That one isn’t all the close. The rest at this point just kind of comes down to personal preference in the individual players.
Ya that's a weird one. Cristal is scoring at a similar pace to last year and offense was never a question mark for him. It's his away from the play and certain aspects of his skating that have been big question marks and I don't think he's done as much to answer his question marks as Cowan has for his.

Rehkopf goes ahead because he top end potential is just higher. I see him almost every game he plays and I believe this to be true, his shooting ability is just on another level. That said he's not as consistent game in and game out offensively, or in terms of effectiveness away from the puck. Still not 100% sure what he is at the NHL level if he doesn't come out as a legitimate top 6 scorer.

Whether he'd go ahead of Simashev or Reinbacher, I highly doubt it...but I am much happier with Cowan at 27 than I would be with Reinbacher based on how things have gone.

Ya that's a weird one. Cristal is scoring at a similar pace to last year and offense was never a question mark for him. It's his away from the play and certain aspects of his skating that have been big question marks and I don't think he's done as much to answer his question marks as Cowan has for his.

Rehkopf goes ahead because he top end potential is just higher. I see him almost every game he plays and I believe this to be true, his shooting ability is just on another level. That said he's not as consistent game in and game out offensively, or in terms of effectiveness away from the puck. Still not 100% sure what he is at the NHL level if he doesn't come out as a legitimate top 6 scorer.

Whether he'd go ahead of Simashev or Reinbacher, I highly doubt it...but I am much happier with Cowan at 27 than I would be with Reinbacher based on how things have gone.

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
The case I'd make for Cristall over Cowan might not be convincing to many, but it's based on the fact that I value Cristall more then most other scout analysts. I see a potential first liner, who might also be a bust. Maybe my eye is bad, but I've rarely seen a prospect that caught my eye everytime I've seen him play more then Cristall. So Cowan has a lower ceeling and a highher floor imo, and I would take the chance on Cristall before drafting Cowan. However, I wouldn't say that defending that Cowan is more valuable then Cristall is irrationnal

Last edited:

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
The case I'd make for Cristall over Cowan might not be convincing to many, but it's based on the fact that I value Cristall more then most other scout analysts. I see a potential first liner, who might also be a bust. Maybe my eye is bad, but I've rarely seen a prospect that caught my eye everytime I've seen him play more then Cristall. So Cowan has a lower ceeling and a lower floor imo, and I would take the chance on Cristall before drafting Cowan. However, I wouldn't say that defending that Cowan is more valuable then Cristall is irrationnal
So your argument is "I just personally think Cristall is better in every single way"?

How's Cristall have a higher ceiling AND floor in the same paragraph you say he might "be a bust"?

If his floor is 'a bust', how could that be higher than Cowan, who's floor at the very least would be equal to busting.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The case I'd make for Cristall over Cowan might not be convincing to many, but it's based on the fact that I value Cristall more then most other scout analysts. I see a potential first liner, who might also be a bust. Maybe my eye is bad, but I've rarely seen a prospect that caught my eye everytime I've seen him play more then Cristall. So Cowan has a lower ceeling and a lower floor imo, and I would take the chance on Cristall before drafting Cowan. However, I wouldn't say that defending that Cowan is more valuable then Cristall is irrationnal
I dont think you understand what a floor is lmao.

I would be shocked if Cowan doesnt carve out an NHL career.
I would not be shocked if Cristall was playing in europe or the AHL in 10 years.

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
My bad, I meant Cristall has a higher ceeling and lower floor, Cowan has a lower ceeling, but higher floor. What I meant to say was that I would draft Cristall in front of Cowan because of the high ceeling and the fact he catches my eye when I see him, but it wouldn't be a bad take to prefer Cowan because he's absolutely safer, he could play outside the top 6, which is not the case for Cristall.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I dont think you understand what a floor is lmao.

I would be shocked if Cowan doesnt carve out an NHL career.
I would not be shocked if Cristall was playing in europe or the AHL in 10 years.
Cristall would probably be too good for the AHL in 10 years from now but europe is a possibilty and I don't think that many actual NHL scouts (pro or otherwise) would have him before Cowan in a redraft.

Cowan probably isn't a star at the next level but almost certainly becomes a really use full NHL player.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Leaf fans overhyping a prospect who eventually turns into a 3rd liner?!? Never seen that before!
Well, fans of every team over hype their prospects. Fans of the Leafs do the same. People like to look towards the future positively.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I think he'll be what many hoped Robertson (not that he's a bad young player) would have been. Seems way more durable and more likely to translate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad