C Easton Cowan - London Knights, OHL (2023, 28th, TOR)

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Sure, and he is still 18 for a few more months. If you think he is a decent 3rd line NHL winger now, image how good he will be if he gets to the NHL.

No, he's definitely a junior star... I meant he projects to be a good 3rd line winger in the NHL, which is pretty awesome for where he was picked.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No, he's definitely a junior star... I meant he projects to be a good 3rd line winger in the NHL, which is pretty awesome for where he was picked.
He definitely can be more than that. I'd say he projects more to be a strong 3rd wheel on a top 6. Look at most teams top 6's there loaded with guys who work hard, have a decent to good scoring touch and don't have to dominate the puck to be effective. Someone like Bunting was on our first line for 2 years, and currently fluctuates in the middle 6 for Carolina.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I know people are trying to be tentative with their Cowan projections and calling him a surefire 3rd liner.. but I've learned not to bet against this type of player who just 'plays the right way'

He could easily end up being a Konecny/Parise type of guy in the NHL. Look at Hyman, these guys just don't get denied, regardless of their overall 'skill level' or physical tools

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
I dislike the leafs but Cowan is a pretty nice prospect to follow. He has everything you want a young player to have and he seems to show good offensive potential.

Hes a safe bet to become a pretty good nhler , just remain to be seen how good

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I know people are trying to be tentative with their Cowan projections and calling him a surefire 3rd liner.. but I've learned not to bet against this type of player who just 'plays the right way'

He could easily end up being a Konecny/Parise type of guy in the NHL. Look at Hyman, these guys just don't get denied, regardless of their overall 'skill level' or physical tools
While, I don't think he turns into Brad Marchand, tons of guys overachieve their perceived ceilings and many guys dramatically underperform their floors. The kid is productive, used in all situations on a top CHL team with a coach that has coached many NHLers, and made the Canada WJC team as an 18 year old.

I honestly get pretty tired of this perceived top 6/bottom 6 stuff. Tons of guys who aren't a Matthews, Nylander or Marner play in NHL teams top 6's. Last year, Michael Bunting was on our top line (an undrafted overacheiver), Matthew Knies currently is (a 2nd round pick 3 years ago), Zach Hyman a later round pick who was in the NCAA for 4 years was prior to Bunting. Hard working players who do the small things will get opportunities with star players. Do I expect Cowan to be a line driver on a first line in the NHL, probably not, but I don't see how a highly effective 3rd or 2nd wheel in the Leafs top 6 is too much to ask. The role consists of basically working hard on the forecheck, having some skill, knowing to lay it off to the big money guys, drive the net, and be in position. The reason a lot of guys can't adapt to that is because they've never had to play that role, they are so used to being puck dominant that they lack skills playing off of it, and then they end up middle 6 tweeners like Kapanen who could never solidify a spot in the Leafs top 6.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You don’t see the difference between two top 10 picks expected to be stars compared to two second round picks?

In the second round you are hoping to get anyone playing NHL games. At 28 you shouldn’t be expecting a superstar either. If you get an NHL regular at 28, that’s a good outcome.

Cowan is a good prospect. No one is saying otherwise. The discussion is whether he deserves to be considered one of the best prospects in the league or from his draft.

Yeah yeah, everyone's got their own little re-draft list... Leafs just need Cowan to keep doing what he's doing and develop into a useful and hopefully impact player in the next little while.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
While, I don't think he turns into Brad Marchand, tons of guys overachieve their perceived ceilings and many guys dramatically underperform their floors. The kid is productive, used in all situations on a top CHL team with a coach that has coached many NHLers, and made the Canada WJC team as an 18 year old.

I honestly get pretty tired of this perceived top 6/bottom 6 stuff. Tons of guys who aren't a Matthews, Nylander or Marner play in NHL teams top 6's. Last year, Michael Bunting was on our top line (an undrafted overacheiver), Matthew Knies currently is (a 2nd round pick 3 years ago), Zach Hyman a later round pick who was in the NCAA for 4 years was prior to Bunting. Hard working players who do the small things will get opportunities with star players. Do I expect Cowan to be a line driver on a first line in the NHL, probably not, but I don't see how a highly effective 3rd or 2nd wheel in the Leafs top 6 is too much to ask. The role consists of basically working hard on the forecheck, having some skill, knowing to lay it off to the big money guys, drive the net, and be in position. The reason a lot of guys can't adapt to that is because they've never had to play that role, they are so used to being puck dominant that they lack skills playing off of it, and then they end up middle 6 tweeners like Kapanen who could never solidify a spot in the Leafs top 6.

Even little details like converting Kapanen, Nylander, Marner, etc into penalty killers after they’re already established as skill guys vs having someone who’s been optimizing their game for the role before they hit pro. A lot of the 3rd wheels that the big 4 have had tend to defer too much to the 4 on 2 on 1 rushes, just the sheer amount of clinical breakaway execution Cowan and Barkey have gotten reps on is already better value than getting reps on running a PP or some other puck dominant role he won’t get an opportunity for in pro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad