C Dylan Cozens - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL (2019, 7th, BUF)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would you take Dach over him from a Rangers point of view? I know you like Turcotte so i'm assuming you would take Turcotte over both?

Absolutely.

1/2: Hughes and Kakko in some order. We’re not getting either of those two draft slots. Stay away from the wingers, Podkolzin and Boldy.

Try to pick between Byram and the four centers. I’d have Turcotte first, Zegras fourth and Cozens last. Byram and Dach are nearly interchangeable, but I think I’d pick Dach based on higher upside

Not gonna draft: Hughes, Kakko
Stay away: Podkolzin, Boldy, Broberg
In order: Turcotte, Dach, Byram, Zegras, Cozens

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Absolutely.

1/2: Hughes and Kakko in some order. We’re not getting either of those two draft slots. Stay away from the wingers, Podkolzin and Boldy.

Try to pick between Byram and the four centers. I’d have Turcotte first, Zegras fourth and Cozens last. Byram and Dach are nearly interchangeable, but I think I’d pick Dach based on higher upside

Not gonna draft: Hughes, Kakko
Stay away: Podkolzin, Boldy, Broberg
In order: Turcotte, Dach, Byram, Zegras, Cozens

Yeah I’m feeling the same. Turcotte, cozens/dach but would not be upset with Bryam if they feel with rest of our first rounders we can grab a decent forward. I guess cozens right now seems more exciting but if dach has the longer term higher upside I can understand going with him.
I think being in the top 5/6 getting a top 2 pick is not impossible. Still holding out hope for a Kakko. Top 3 at 5th overall is well over 20 percent so not totally out of the question.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
i dont know a lot about the kid but from the clips i saw, limited viewings obviously, but the kid kind of looks like, style wise, Schiefele? no?
Actually Cozens reminds me of the Sutter's without the intensity. Can score but needs to work on his skating. I d not pick him in top 17!

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Cozens reminds me of a Sean Monahan, Ryan O Reilly. Doesn't exactly stand out in any way but plays a confidence game. I think his lowest ceiling is probably a Tyler Bozak.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the NHL in October.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It’s an important distinction. Why would you want a non-NHL ready Russian forward in North America? I think any smart development organization would prefer they play in Russia until they are NHL ready.

You want him playing steady minutes and having a bigger role though. I mean one of my pauses with Podkolizin is he plays for SKA and it limits his role there. If he breaks through into one of those roles they will likely be interested in handing him a 4+ million dollar contract without the tax burdens...

He is one that I actually have the fear on in terms of would he come over and it does influence how I evaluate him. I don't want him toiling away on SKA's youth teams after this draft, but you want to make sure he plays a heck of a lot more than he did this year in terms of meaningful minutes. He has one of the best compete levels if not the best in this draft, there are things to like, but there are a lot of ifs piling up for the draft slot people are talking about, I would prefer not to be the team that takes the chance. There is a reason he has big consensus in the industry in terms of #3, he is a very talented hockey player despite some of the numbers, I think scouts have seen enough in terms of there, but yes in his case the team stuff in Russia does give me a lot of pause.

I would much rather take a guy like Cozens, who I think is also a pretty good floor player like Podkolzin in terms of he has a lot of translatable skills to the NHL when you watch him. Again I really do like the Jeff Carter comparison, if he can become that, it is a huge foundational piece for whatever organization does call his name in June.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You want him playing steady minutes and having a bigger role though. I mean one of my pauses with Podkolizin is he plays for SKA and it limits his role there. If he breaks through into one of those roles they will likely be interested in handing him a 4+ million dollar contract without the tax burdens...

He is one that I actually have the fear on in terms of would he come over and it does influence how I evaluate him. I don't want him toiling away on SKA's youth teams after this draft, but you want to make sure he plays a heck of a lot more than he did this year in terms of meaningful minutes. He has one of the best compete levels if not the best in this draft, there are things to like, but there are a lot of ifs piling up for the draft slot people are talking about, I would prefer not to be the team that takes the chance. There is a reason he has big consensus in the industry in terms of #3, he is a very talented hockey player despite some of the numbers, I think scouts have seen enough in terms of there, but yes in his case the team stuff in Russia does give me a lot of pause.

I would much rather take a guy like Cozens, who I think is also a pretty good floor player like Podkolzin in terms of he has a lot of translatable skills to the NHL when you watch him. Again I really do like the Jeff Carter comparison, if he can become that, it is a huge foundational piece for whatever organization does call his name in June.

The SKA point is a fair one. I mentioned that under "development with his club team" when I voiced my concerns with picking Podkolzin in the top five. I've mentioned it before, and some people believe that his development will be different from that of Rykov, Maltsev, Dergachyov, Morozov and Marchenko, but it is true that those players have not been given big roles with the SKA first team. Podkolzin may be the exception to the rule. I think it would be preferable for him to be loaned next season to another KHL team, but SKA pays his contract, so it doesn't matter what the NHL team that drafts him wants.

I wouldn't be worried about what SKA could offer him. He'll make 4M+ when he's up for a new contract if he's can stick in the league as a top 9 player, and he'll make way more than that if he's as good as advertised. None of the best Russian players of the current generation are staying in Russia. They all have come to the NHL or are considered likely to eventually come to the NHL. If you consider the money aspect of this, he'll make more in the KHL in the coming years than he would in the AHL.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
A few bad or average games and absolutely nobody is talking about him now.

I find that kind of silly to be honest

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
A few bad or average games and absolutely nobody is talking about him now.

I find that kind of silly to be honest
Yeah. It was, like, two. He’s looking dangerous and hounding the puck all over again today. It was his effort and speed onto the defender that created the easy third goal; not every player will do that in the dying seconds of a period. Hope he got credited with an assist as I think I saw him push the puck directly out to Newhook while muscling off the defender.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Most overrated prospect in the entire draft. That was before his showing the last couple games check my posts.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Most overrated prospect in the entire draft. That was before his showing the last couple games check my posts.
What exactly can be overrated about him?

You’re getting outstanding speed, excellent shooting with a shooter’s mentality, the hands and willingness to go through a defenseman, strong two-way instincts, and a relentless drive to hound the puck. That’s what he is, and that’s what I feel everybody understands him to be. You can value those traits differently to others - perhaps more suitable to a 2C role than a 1C - but there’s not much to stand on that they don’t exist. He’s a simple player.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Never take someone with low hockey IQ in the top 8. He's dominating kids physically once that advantage goes away he is not going to be the same player.

Reactions: Sens in Process

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad