Prospect Info: (C) David Gustafsson (2018, 60th overall pick)

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Why must always the overhill vets play? We have enough veterans to sit both Bourque and Letestu and let someone useful who can play hockey, play.....
Let Gustafsson center a line...

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Why must always the overhill vets play? We have enough veterans to sit both Bourque and Letestu and let someone useful who can play hockey, play.....
Let Gustafsson center a line...
I'm not sold that he's particularly useful... but then again, could he possibly be less effective than at least one of the players you mentioned?

..."Gustafsson, suit up!"

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Time to start an HF Boards whip-round so Gus can be a little bit more comfy in the PB as he watches LetesGlue cement his 3rd-line role?

HCH8GTQ_ak.jpg

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I am having joy this season so far. Lots to smile at.

however

the current plan or lack thereof for Gus is a joke and completely indefensible.

Use the 19 year old or reassign him you stupid **** nuts.
I've been thinking about this as well. My take is that the organization would really like to be able to send Gus to the Moose but are handcuffed by having to send him back to Sweden if he isn't on the Jets roster. They likely see him as a player not quite ready but would like available as the inevitable injuries happen. Again just speculation but I'd guess there is a drop dead date where he is sent back. I'm not an expert on European contracts, but I'm curious if there is anything they can do to payout his European team and make arrangements for him to play on the Moose.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I've been thinking about this as well. My take is that the organization would really like to be able to send Gus to the Moose but are handcuffed by having to send him back to Sweden if he isn't on the Jets roster. They likely see him as a player not quite ready but would like available as the inevitable injuries happen. Again just speculation but I'd guess there is a drop dead date where he is sent back. I'm not an expert on European contracts, but I'm curious if there is anything they can do to payout his European team and make arrangements for him to play on the Moose.

It’s really hard to say. There might be more too it but I just don’t value the Moose as an option over the top leagues in Finland or Sweden. I actually prefer if Euro’s develop in Europe and North Americans develop in The AHL. I am kind of alone on this point of view but I think it works better due to age and cultural fit. The one exception I have is when the Euro kids play in North America before being drafted.

Back on point though I like Gus but if he is currently actually behind Letestu in Maurice’s mind then fine but we have burnt off some games already with his pro club in Sweden and that’s a crime. He needs to be playing and developing anywhere right now.......no more press box time for a 19 year old this is a critical time in any non blue chips development path and we can’t blow it off. Piss or get off the pot and if I am missing a grand design plan I will retract my comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
He is a candidate to slide his 1 st year ELC......I think the Jets see him as a Usefull player and want him to start his 3 year ELC next year. Give him lots of NHL expierience around the team showing how hard he has to work..... and NHL lifestyle and sen him back to Sweden for the WJC in December playing less than 10 games and keeping his low cost 3 year ELC starting next year.

Reactions: scelaton

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
He is a candidate to slide his 1 st year ELC......I think the Jets see him as a Usefull player and want him to start his 3 year ELC next year. Give him lots of NHL expierience around the team showing how hard he has to work..... and NHL lifestyle and sen him back to Sweden for the WJC in December playing less than 10 games and keeping his low cost 3 year ELC starting next year.
Agree with this entirely. Plus, the team's veteran corps is so decimated right now that Maurice clearly is weighting the scales toward experience.
When Little returns, if Buff comes back and after Heinola returns to Finland, Gus will get his 9-game chance, if not before. In the interim, every day he spends practicing with the team is a learning opportunity.

Last edited:

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
You could be right. Maybe it's a Scheifele situation. Seemed to work out development wise for him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Some real good points by everyone. This is a situation it would be real nice to know the organizations plan and the rational behind it. I still think they would like to send him to the Moose if they could.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
It’s really hard to say. There might be more too it but I just don’t value the Moose as an option over the top leagues in Finland or Sweden. I actually prefer if Euro’s develop in Europe and North Americans develop in The AHL. I am kind of alone on this point of view but I think it works better due to age and cultural fit.

Didn't work for Vesalainen. He was doing great with the Moose before heading back to Europe, and seemingly has not yet recovered. When you think about, the cultural fit they are looking for is over here, so why delay that? Get them playing the NA game, get them more comfortable with English as the primary language, get them eating Fat Boys instead of herring on a shingle. :nod:

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
As opposed to Letestu, who is the worst guy on the ice every game? This is an even worse version of the Kiselevich situation from last year. It's not like either were being blocked by good or even adequate players, and Kiselevich couldn't even get a single game. And sure, I can get behind the idea that you don't want to make moves to change the lineup after a victory but Niku was kicked to the curb after the Pens game while Letestu is trotted out to embarrass himself game after game. In reality, what's the worst case scenario for giving Gustafason a single game? That he plays bad? It's pretty close to impossible for anyone to play worse than Letestu has played this season. If he's not quite ready now, what makes him ready in an emergency situation where he would be forced into action? And wouldn't you want to get his feet wet early in the season when the stakes aren't as high? If this is the thought process behind the motive to keep Gustafson in the PB, it's extremely unintelligent.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree with this entirely. Plus, the team's veteran corps is so decimated right now that Maurice clearly is weighting the scales toward experience.
When Little returns, if Buff comes back and after Heinola returns to Finland, Gus will get his 9-game chance, if not before. In the interim, every day he spends practicing with the team is a learning opportunity.
Yeah I'm curious on how much weight the organization places on this. But even if they thought it important at some point the kid needs some games.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
You could be right. Maybe it's a Scheifele situation. Seemed to work out development wise for him.
I believe that’s what it is. Henoila is going to get the same treatment IMO. Especially if he keeps up like the last game.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
Some real good points by everyone. This is a situation it would be real nice to know the organizations plan and the rational behind it. I still think they would like to send him to the Moose if they could.
From all the interviews if heard of Chevy and Maurice I’m confident Gus is only here in the short term to learn from the NHL guys. They’ve done this over the years a few times already.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I do wish if they are going to have him hanging around, they give him a couple of games. Give him that taste so he really knows what he has to work on. I don't mind him being around the team at all - you can learn a lot by being in the room, practicing and working out, but there is nothing that can replace in game experience.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I do wish if they are going to have him hanging around, they give him a couple of games. Give him that taste so he really knows what he has to work on. I don't mind him being around the team at all - you can learn a lot by being in the room, practicing and working out, but there is nothing that can replace in game experience.

Yep. And hard to see how he can be a downgrade on Letestu, especially as that line has become a defacto 4th. But not sure Mo will tinker with a winning lineup.

Reactions: Jet

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I wonder how gus feels. Getting to participate in NHL practices, getting to know his future teammates as well as making an NHL wage.

Before I make an opinion of his usage I would like to know how happy he is in the position he is in right now

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yep. And hard to see how he can be a downgrade on Letestu, especially as that line has become a defacto 4th. But not sure Mo will tinker with a winning lineup.

After the last debacle anything is better than Lestestu! Really don't get how having a 22 year old in the PB helps his development!

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

That's my pet peeve of perfect NHL thinking. "Do not touch winning lineup". It's such an idiot idea to begin with. "Don't touch what is working", right? Wrong. The Jets won with a pretty bad game. They got lucked. They had a lot of things that did work (don't touch those!), and a lot of think that did not work. And if you continue to not fix things that do not work on a winning streak, you just increase your odds to start losing.

Always touch something that doesn't work, regardless if you have a losing or a winning streak. Get a little bit better for every single game by making small adjustments. Like try to replace Letestu with Gus, to get Lowry out of his misery.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Didn't work for Vesalainen. He was doing great with the Moose before heading back to Europe, and seemingly has not yet recovered. When you think about, the cultural fit they are looking for is over here, so why delay that? Get them playing the NA game, get them more comfortable with English as the primary language, get them eating Fat Boys instead of herring on a shingle. :nod:

Ves is a very different cat. I look at other examples like Toby, Klingberg, Heiskanen and the list goes on. It’s pretty easy on this case to find guys to support either side of this argument. The AHL is fine but I “personally” think it’s is a bit overrated as a place for young Euro’s to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad