Prospect Info: (C) David Gustafsson (2018, 60th overall pick)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
First off I agree I'd prefer to see him play over Letestu. In terms of Gus' contract status I've asked a few times if there are any contract experts out there to give an opinion. My understanding is a 1st round pick can be sent to the AHL and over ride a contract to one of the European leagues not counting the KHL, while a 2nd round or later pick has to go back to their European team if they are not on the NHL roster. I don't know if a NHL team can buy out a contract for a later round pick and then assign them to the AHL. I would assume this is possible and speculate that is what is currently happening and Gus is caught in a bit of limbo. But as I said this is just speculation based on what we can observe from the outside.

One of our CBA/contract guys posted a couple of days ago that you are wrong about 1st rd picks being treated differently - IIRC. Not going to name him because I'd probably get it wrong and have 2 guys mad at me. :laugh: I think it is a buyout arrangement. My guess is that the amount is predetermined and no time is required to arrange it. But I can't swear to any of this. Whatever the system, I'm pretty sure that if the Jets wanted to send him to the AHL it would have been done by now unless I am mistaken and it can't be done. In that case just send him home.

He is a 19 YO very late 2nd rd pick with an awkward skating style. I don't believe he is that close to having actually made the team out of TC. If he was, then he would be playing. So how big an issue can it be?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
First off I agree I'd prefer to see him play over Letestu. In terms of Gus' contract status I've asked a few times if there are any contract experts out there to give an opinion. My understanding is a 1st round pick can be sent to the AHL and over ride a contract to one of the European leagues not counting the KHL, while a 2nd round or later pick has to go back to their European team if they are not on the NHL roster. I don't know if a NHL team can buy out a contract for a later round pick and then assign them to the AHL. I would assume this is possible and speculate that is what is currently happening and Gus is caught in a bit of limbo. But as I said this is just speculation based on what we can observe from the outside.

This is the second time I've seen someone post this information, the first being on the Jets Facebook fan page, hardly a quality source for information.

Where did you hear this? It's news to me.

When the Flyers signed 2013 second-round pick Robert Hagg to an entry-level contract, he was 19 years old for most of his rookie season with the AHL’s Lehigh Valley Phantoms. Hagg was drafted from a Swedish team (Modo Hockey), so it was within the rules for the then-teenaged player to be assigned to the AHL.

Additionally, the Flyers were able to assign Hagg to the AHL in 2014-15 under the slide rule, meaning that the first year of his three-season NHL entry-level contract would not be used up despite the fact he was playing at the pro level. National Hockey League teams are able to slide an 18-year-old or 19-year-old player’s contract to other leagues – CHL, teams in European leagues and even to the AHL in a case such as Hagg’s – which means it does not count against the NHL’s 50-contract limit per season and does not “burn” a year off an entry-level contract so long as the player does not play in at least ten NHL games during the first season of the contract.

As a result the first year of Hagg’s entry-level contract was the 2015-16 season. Under NHL rules, an 18 or 19 year-old prospect may dress in up to nine NHL games at age 18 or 19 before it triggers the player’s entry-level contract for the full duration of the season. This “trial period” has been used many times by NHL teams over the years.

Gustafsson is a 2nd round pick and a quick look at Capfriendly has him listed exactly as Hague was in 2013. He's on a ELC, he's waivers exempt, he's a slide candidate and his contract doesn't apply to the Jets 50 player contract limit.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We are sitting at 4-3, not 0 -7. Pump on the dramatic a bit

Its poor management yes but it aint getting anyone fired

Not yet.

I mean not anytime very soon. :laugh:

Get a player or two back and the roster management may improve by default.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is the second time I've seen someone post this information, the first being on the Jets Facebook fan page, hardly a quality source for information.

Where did you hear this? It's news to me.

When the Flyers signed 2013 second-round pick Robert Hague to an entry-level contract, he was 19 years old for most of his rookie season with the AHL’s Lehigh Valley Phantoms. Hagg was drafted from a Swedish team (Modo Hockey), so it was within the rules for the then-teenaged player to be assigned to the AHL.

Additionally, the Flyers were able to assign Hagg to the AHL in 2014-15 under the slide rule, meaning that the first year of his three-season NHL entry-level contract would not be used up despite the fact he was playing at the pro level. National Hockey League teams are able to slide an 18-year-old or 19-year-old player’s contract to other leagues – CHL, teams in European leagues and even to the AHL in a case such as Hagg’s – which means it does not count against the NHL’s 50-contract limit per season and does not “burn” a year off an entry-level contract so long as the player does not play in at least ten NHL games during the first season of the contract.

As a result the first year of Hagg’s entry-level contract was the 2015-16 season. Under NHL rules, an 18 or 19 year-old prospect may dress in up to nine NHL games at age 18 or 19 before it triggers the player’s entry-level contract for the full duration of the season. This “trial period” has been used many times by NHL teams over the years.

Gustafsson is a 2nd round pick and a quick look at Capfriendly has him listed exactly as Hague was in 2013. He's on a ELC, he's waivers exempt, he's a slide candidate and his contract doesn't apply to the Jets 50 player contract limit.
This information was posted somewhere or more likely I think I heard it on 1290. I didn't make it up just writing what I heard. But I haven't found any information to confirm one way or another that's why I asked the question.

boanst

May 25, 2013
This information was posted somewhere or more likely I think I heard it on 1290. I didn't make it up just writing what I heard. But I haven't found a⁴ny information to confirm one way or another that's why I asked the question.
I knew I had read that too. I found something written by Wiebe. He said due to agreement with IIHF and because Gus has 1 year left with HV71, and because he was not a 1st round pick. No indication of where he got that from.

Reactions: KingBogo

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
What is the point of stapling a 19 year old prospect to the press box. How is sitting for 7 straight games helping to develop David's game? Get him on the ice or send him to where ever he is playing hockey this year. Young guys in the press box for more than a game or two is ridiculous.

Maurice is probably keeping him around in case Lowry gets injured. Can never have too many Lowrys.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
The combined record of Jet’ opponents so far is 10-16-2. While I can’t say for certain, it’s hard to imagine any team having an easier schedule than that. Their wins have come against three teams with a combined one win between them and the Penguins who are current decimated.
Cute, lets combine records 6 games in to the season and pretend it means something. It doesn't

Blackhawks without a win, just beat the Oilers who hadn't lost, what does that mean???? Yup same thing, NOTHING.

Until we are 20 games in, records are just accumulation of points, not true reflections on team rankings.

And your belief that starting your season off with back to backs, 4 games in 6 days and on the road as being the easiest schedule in the league, is quite quite funny.

I can imagine teams having an easier start, because several did, starting at home, no back to backs. You trying to pretend its was easy doesn't negate the fact it wasn't.

And with all that said, I want Gustafsson in over Bourque and Letestu, and believe it's time to start him. I believe that Maurice will tonight, but we will see.

Last edited:

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Yeah, I get it - but how strong can their aversion to Sweden be? If it is that strong then take the steps necessary to send him to the Moose. (I think they need to buy out his Euro contract, or something like that.)

Take 15 minutes. Tell him what they want him to work on (skating). Tell him to write it down. Send him on his way. The value of this business of being with the team might have been OK for 2-3 days. Beyond that is just nonsensical.

But, and this is the big thing - if they are going to keep him - play him, at worst he is a lot better than Letestu!!!!!!!!

I agree with this. Hopefully tonight Gus takes this opportunity by the horns and doesn’t give Maurice any option but to play him again.
Maurice is the definition of insanity and hopefully these up and comers can break him of the habit of trying the same stagnant lines/vets

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
He looked really solid out there. You can see that he is a gamer. Bringing more in than anybody at bottom-6 not named Lowry. Small sample size but would try him more.

Reactions: Mbraunm and hn777

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Since I'm being optimistic, I'll say he could be the next Scheifele. :nod:
tenor.gif

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I didn't see anything, other than him getting knocked to the ice. But to be fair, I think the kid with the flag during the pre-game skate had more ice time. Need to see more of him before assessing.

Curious do you watch him, or just notice him when his name is announced after he directly affects the play?

He did a bit more than slide on his butt in his limited play. He battled a couple times low retrieving pucks, one time completely out muscled a dman to get the puck. He was consistently on the right side of the puck, and when things broke down defensively he seems to keep his poise and not puck chase.

As soon as he hits the ice, watch him and you will start noticing the defensive awareness he plays with, which for a 19 year old is impressive.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Curious do you watch him, or just notice him when his name is announced after he directly affects the play?

He did a bit more than slide on his butt in his limited play. He battled a couple times low retrieving pucks, one time completely out muscled a dman to get the puck. He was consistently on the right side of the puck, and when things broke down defensively he seems to keep his poise and not puck chase.

As soon as he hits the ice, watch him and you will start noticing the defensive awareness he plays with, which for a 19 year old is impressive.
Yes I watched him - every shift - without my Jets fanboy glasses on. Curious, do you read entire posts or only the parts that you want to respond to? I mentioned that his sample size is far to small to make an accurate assessment at this time. Maybe you should consider that as well.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I thought he looked pretty good also , i would like to see more but he's got good size and also seems pretty good at faceoffs . If he keeps playing like he has i hope he becomes our 4th line center this season . :nod:

Reactions: hn777

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Yes I watched him - every shift - without my Jets fanboy glasses on. Curious, do you read entire posts or only the parts that you want to respond to? I mentioned that his sample size is far to small to make an accurate assessment at this time. Maybe you should consider that as well.

Lol, I read what I read, which was your simplistic view that he slides on his bottom all game. Do you read your posts before posting?

I question that, cause your only retention of his game was to capture him falling, when many saw some subtle and positive things from his game.

Fyi, he fell last night as well, but also drew a penalty, and won some faceoffs and a couple of battles.

No glasses required.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
question that, cause your only retention of his game was to capture him falling, when many saw some subtle and positive things from his game.
Yes, very, very, very subtle.

4441326+_ecef07e6568bbf14fa25fba9848bd45a.gif

At the risk of repeating myself, the jury is still out on this kid. Not enough of a sample size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad