C Cutter Gauthier - Boston College, NCAA (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I have watched dozens and dozens of games of his before finally realizing yesterday who he reminds me of so much. Jean Béliveau. It is not a perfect comparison especially because I mostly watched Le Gros Bill later games, when he was older and more mature and complete. But I’m convinced this is the kind of player Gauthier can become with the right attitude, if he’s driven adequately by the right motivations. I have rarely seen someone with that particular of skillset. It seems so effortless for him because he has such a physical advantage over his opponents, but his biggest asset is his brain. The speed at which he process information is very similar to Béliveau, and then, there’s the size obviously. He is a typical dual threat, great shot, but if he can unleash it it’s because the opponents know they have to respect his playmaking abilities. Béliveau was also a very underrated defensively useful guy.

If he can put behind him the trade distractions he’s gonna be a star in the league : not calling him a future hall of famer, multiple Stanley Cup winner, best captain in the history or anything like that. But he plays like Béliveau and he will score goals like he did and punish other teams.

Special.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Start to keep an eye on Gauthiet’s goal total. He had 2 more last night, up to 28 on the year. No one has scored more than 36 in a college hockey season in 20+ years. BC has anywhere from 6-11 games left, he definitely has a shot to get there

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I have watched dozens and dozens of games of his before finally realizing yesterday who he reminds me of so much. Jean Béliveau. It is not a perfect comparison especially because I mostly watched Le Gros Bill later games, when he was older and more mature and complete. But I’m convinced this is the kind of player Gauthier can become with the right attitude, if he’s driven adequately by the right motivations. I have rarely seen someone with that particular of skillset. It seems so effortless for him because he has such a physical advantage over his opponents, but his biggest asset is his brain. The speed at which he process information is very similar to Béliveau, and then, there’s the size obviously. He is a typical dual threat, great shot, but if he can unleash it it’s because the opponents know they have to respect his playmaking abilities. Béliveau was also a very underrated defensively useful guy.

If he can put behind him the trade distractions he’s gonna be a star in the league : not calling him a future hall of famer, multiple Stanley Cup winner, best captain in the history or anything like that. But he plays like Béliveau and he will score goals like he did and punish other teams.

Special.
We must be watching vastly different players.

I see Gauthier play a very direct, relatively uncreative "shoot first, shoot often, shoot more" offensive game. He does stand out for his physicality, and he does have a very hard shot. But he reminds me more of a poor man's Ovechkin. Shots, shots, shots, some of which are snipes and some of which are just spraying it to the net over and over again.

I do think he'll be a pain in the ass to play against but I'm way far away from thinking he has a shot at being the kind of player you're describing.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
We must be watching vastly different players.

I see Gauthier play a very direct, relatively uncreative "shoot first, shoot often, shoot more" offensive game. He does stand out for his physicality, and he does have a very hard shot. But he reminds me more of a poor man's Ovechkin. Shots, shots, shots, some of which are snipes and some of which are just spraying it to the net over and over again.

I do think he'll be a pain in the ass to play against but I'm way far away from thinking he has a shot at being the kind of player you're describing.
Honestly, a physical shooter that is hard to play against is exactly what the Ducks are missing. That would be perfect.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Honestly, a physical shooter that is hard to play against is exactly what the Ducks are missing. That would be perfect.
I know... as a Sharks fan, I'm fully expecting to really dislike Gauthier. He also just has that smugness asshole factor. Not quite punk status like Perry, but definitely a little bit of that Getzlaf swagger (to be clear I do not think he is a Getzlaf level prospect).

Reactions: Kalv

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Gauthier is absolutely a player who will fit the Ducks well, I don’t think anyone can deny that. In fact, I think he’ll benefit from not having to be “the guy” and not having to play center.

But the Jean Beliveau comparison suggests the hype is a little out of hand.

Gauthier is playing on Smith’s wing tonight, so it should be a good preview for Ducks fans for what he could look like on Zegras’ wing some day.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Gauthier is playing on Smith’s wing tonight, so it should be a good preview for Ducks fans for what he could look like on Zegras’ wing some day.

I don't know why a team with that much forward talent to choose from would put a weaker defensive player (Zegras) in the position where he has to defend down low in his zone. Gauthier would be better at it. Really with Carlsson and McTavish there's no need for either to play center.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Leonard and Gauthier connect again For another short handed goal.

1+2 tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
I don't know why a team with that much forward talent to choose from would put a weaker defensive player (Zegras) in the position where he has to defend down low in his zone. Gauthier would be better at it. Really with Carlsson and McTavish there's no need for either to play center.
Gauthier's issue isn't the defensive zone responsibility, he's plenty good enough there and responsible there. He's BC's go to match up defensively to shut down the best forward on the other team and does a good job at it. It's carrying the puck up the ice and neutral zone where he makes a lot of mistakes. I just don't think he doesn't have the vision and poise for it as a #1 center but I think he has all the skills needed for a top line winger. Ultimately it becomes, what do the ducks think they can develop, Zegras's defensive zone presence or Gauthier's neutral zone/transition game

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Gauthier's issue isn't the defensive zone responsibility, he's plenty good enough there and responsible there. He's BC's go to match up defensively to shut down the best forward on the other team and does a good job at it. It's carrying the puck up the ice and neutral zone where he makes a lot of mistakes. I just don't think he doesn't have the vision and poise for it as a #1 center but I think he has all the skills needed for a top line winger. Ultimately it becomes, what do the ducks think they can develop, Zegras's defensive zone presence or Gauthier's neutral zone/transition game

A team with Carlsson and McTavish isn't going to sweat it too much. There's little chance that Zegras will be at center. Gauthier will probably also be at wing, that or run him at center on a middle six line. He doesn't need to be a 1C.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Gauthier is absolutely a player who will fit the Ducks well, I don’t think anyone can deny that. In fact, I think he’ll benefit from not having to be “the guy” and not having to play center.

I agree it is not appropriate. Obviously Gretzky is better:sarcasm:

But seriously, I don’t think any Ducks fans are expecting anywhere close to that and if they are then that’s on them.

Reactions: Yemeth and Kalv
Aug 25, 2009
éal

You obviously dont have to be in agreement with me and your evaluation of his play is as good as mine. However as someone like me who believes in reincarnation I’m struck by the parallels, it’s uncanny.

Every time I watch his game, I’m fazed by the way the puck always end up on his stick even though he is never looking at the puck. He always keep his head up, always picking his spot, visualizing his shot in his head, always thinking 10 seconds ahead, that reminds me of the great Béliveau.

It’s like the puck is watching him. In some ways I feel like there’s a spiritual connexion between Gauthier and the puck, like they are fundamentally linked some way in the universe.

Very impressed by that goal on the PK, create the turnover with his big body, anticipate the trajectory of the puck (where most individuals could only guess where a puck will bounce, he knows right away its future, like a medium reading the destinies in the palms), get it and score. This is Cutter Gauthier to me.

• Love
Reactions: MMC

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
You obviously dont have to be in agreement with me and your evaluation of his play is as good as mine. However as someone like me who believes in reincarnation I’m struck by the parallels, it’s uncanny.

Every time I watch his game, I’m fazed by the way the puck always end up on his stick even though he is never looking at the puck. He always keep his head up, always picking his spot, visualizing his shot in his head, always thinking 10 seconds ahead, that reminds me of the great Béliveau.

It’s like the puck is watching him. In some ways I feel like there’s a spiritual connexion between Gauthier and the puck, like they are fundamentally linked some way in the universe.

Very impressed by that goal on the PK, create the turnover with his big body, anticipate the trajectory of the puck (where most individuals could only guess where a puck will bounce, he knows right away its future, like a medium reading the destinies in the palms), get it and score. This is Cutter Gauthier to me.
These went from 0 to Weird really fast :laugh:
He is a smart player tho. That meshes well, because I think our other core forwards are really smart as well, especially TZ and Leo.
Eventually they might make some crazy plays

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Holy smokes I had to watch twice cause that release was lightning quick. Beautiful. Okay, so you have:

Carlsson
Zegras
McTavish
Gauthier

Anaheim is gonna have a Toronto-lite big 4 of their own. All these players have unique offensive elements to their games and are going to crush opposing defenses.

Oh and the future beast Mintyukov to run your defense? Throw in Zellweger too for fun as he won't be pressured to be 'the guy'? Jesus Christ Anaheim I'm glad Detroit isn't in the West anymore...

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Zegras at center is not the same as Smith at center. Fun concept but don't think its a good idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad