C Cutter Gauthier - Boston College, NCAA (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very well-rounded center. Can do some of everything. Big, strong, skates well. Pretty skilled. Can pass, shoot, and also plays good defense. Good hockey sense. Doesn't have many (or any) real weaknesses in his game. If anything, he might lack the absolute top-level skills to be a 1C in the NHL, but he projects as a pretty safe player to make the NHL and play games because he does a lot well. I would say his draft range will probably be somewhere in the latter 2/3 of the first round, and how well he plays and develops over the next year will determine if he goes on the higher end of that or lower end.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/526094/cutter-gauthier

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
This is pretty spot on for me. Only thing I would add is I think he can shore up the defensive part of his game a bit.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't see him in the first round on many lists so far, which I believe will look bad eventually. I think this guy is a really good bet to be a middle six center. He's very noticeable in all zones, skates well, good size, and has some pretty good offensive upside, including a big shot.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
As @Pavel Buchnevich mentioned, no much hype around him. Seems to be really taking off as the teams 1C as Cooley is at the wjs right now. With continued development he could be a very good 2C one day.

Reactions: Realgud

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I bought HockeyTV and have watched a few of his games, now. Both earlier in the year as a 3LW and more recently as a 1C. I really think as his production explodes, people aren’t going to be able to ignore a player this big, strong, fast, and skilled. He’s a power center. Plays a physical, inside game, and takes the puck up the middle, to the net. With his shot and all-around skill, he won’t remain an afterthought for long. I’ll bet he’s the 2nd player taken from the NTDP at the NHL draft and that he’s taken closer to 10th overall than he is to 20th overall.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I bought HockeyTV and have watched a few of his games, now. Both earlier in the year as a 3LW and more recently as a 1C. I really think as his production explodes, people aren’t going to be able to ignore a player this big, strong, fast, and skilled. He’s a power center. Plays a physical, inside game, and takes the puck up the middle, to the net. With his shot and all-around skill, he won’t remain an afterthought for long. I’ll bet he’s the 2nd player taken from the NTDP at the NHL draft and that he’s taken closer to 10th overall than he is to 20th overall.

I don't think he goes before Nazar or Cooley, but he definitely could go after them. He's a really intriguing player, he doesn't ever take a bad shot, he finds good lanes with the puck and has skill for his size.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ll bet you $5 he goes after Cooley but before Nazar.

Nazar, Howard, Casey, Hutson are going to be interesting test cases. If these guys are early/mid first guys, I think this NTDP group could surpass the 2019 draft group. These players are small, not too physical, skate well enough but not absolute blazers. Those aren’t typically the types of players you see picked too high. I’ve said it before, but I worry how some of these kids translate. It’s an age group where most of the top guys have these types of concerns. There are only a few bigger players who are top prospects like Gauthier, Stramel, McGroarty, Chesley. I guess you could also throw Snuggerud in there. You could even throw Cooley into the first group. I like the player, but 5’11, not a blazing skater, plays reckless at times. I’m surprised he’s so well thought of by the experts.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Whelp, I gotta lil cocky it seems. I couldn’t watch today’s UND game because it’s not on Hockey TV. But it looks like with Cooley back, they moved Gauthier from 1C back down to 3LW/C on the Spicer line?!?!? They won’t be great for the production. I guess that’s a good thing for anyone hoping their team has a chance of moving up for him in the teens. As a Coyotes fan, I sure hope we package our two later 1sts (COL & CAR) in a trade up for Gauthier.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
@Nabrules sounds like you're watching a bunch of NTDP. What are you seeing with this guy? We're does he usually slot in the lineup? How is he handling that deployment?

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Not a ton but a few here and there. He’s getting more ice time playing on Cooley’s wing right now and looks kid usual self. Strong on the puck, physical and brings a nice tool set offensively.

At the end of the days he’s 6’3 body who skates incredibly well for someone that size, both speed and agility, really physical, good pucks skills and a fantastic shot. I can see a team taking him top 10. I personally wouldn’t because he’ll be more of a complimentary guy but wouldn’t bat an eye if a team took him 9 or 10. Reminds me a bit of Tom Wilson without the pure stupid illegal hits and we can all agree that’s a good player

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00