C Cutter Gauthier - Boston College, NCAA (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
'23/24 - Cutter Gauthier GP 37 G 35
'22/23 - Adam Fantilli GP 36 G 30
'21/22 - Ethen Frank GP 39 G 26
'20/21 - Cole Caulfield GP 31 G 30
'19/20 - John Leonard GP 33 G 27
'18/19 - Diego Cuglietta GP 38 G 25
'17/18 - Adam Gaudette GP 38 G 30
'16/17 - Zack Aston - Reese GP 38 G 31
'15/16 - Kyle Connor GP 38 G 35
'14/15 - Jimmy Vesey GP 37 G 32
'13/14 - Jonny Gaudreau GP 40 G 36

Gauthier this year compared to the national leader in goals from the past decade. Note that Fantilli, Caulfield and Connor are the only other underclassmen or WJC eligible on the list.

The highest NCAA goal total of this century? Ryan Potulny 38 goals in 41 games as a 21 year old junior in 2005/06.

The last 40 goal season? Dean Fedorchuk had 42 goals in 38 games as a 23 year old senior back in 1993/94, the last of an era where it seemed there was at least one 40 goal scorer each year.
He’s chasing down the most goals in a BC season ever right now as well. The BC record is 38 held by David Emma and Scott Harlow

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
BC is such a stacked team its ridiculous. They will lose 7 players to the NHL next year.
There's a world where they could be even better next year. Of their stars, they could lose only Cutter Gauthier but replace him with James Hagens. Imagine the Perrault/Smith/Leonard line as sophomores.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
There's a world where they could be even better next year. Of their stars, they could lose only Cutter Gauthier but replace him with James Hagens. Imagine the Perrault/Smith/Leonard line as sophomores.
Are all 3 of those guys expected back in College?

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
Are all 3 of those guys expected back in College?
The Athletic put out a piece a few days ago that hints at Perreault returning.

Smith is unclear, but for whatever it's worth, he's best friends/roommates with Perrault and has very deep family ties to the school, so he might be more motivated to return than the typical one-and-done.

Leonard might be the most ready from a physical standpoint, but he's a Massachusetts boy and might feel there is unfinished business with his linemates if this team doesn't win it all.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Showing off his playmaking ability with two amazing set ups one to tie the game.

Happy he won’t make his Anaheim debut till later. Don’t want Cronin and his misfit assistants ruining another kid.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who have they ruined?

It's a genuine question, I haven't checked in on the Ducks in a while.

Ruined is a harsh word more like have regressed or set them back. McTavish, Zegras, Carlsson, LaCombe, Mintyukov, and even Terry. Feel all these players were thrown into a situation that is over their heads or have had multiple injuries to deal with and it’s just been a crap season for them.

With horrible special teams and a system they are struggling to play these are the results.

Reactions: Kalv

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ruined is a harsh word more like have regressed or set them back. McTavish, Zegras, Carlsson, LaCombe, Mintyukov, and even Terry. Feel all these players were thrown into a situation that is over their heads or have had multiple injuries to deal with and it’s just been a crap season for them.

With horrible special teams and a system they are struggling to play these are the results.

What do you want the coach to do differently?

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
What do you want the coach to do differently?
Not the guy you were asking but I want to see that these kids are learning something on a game to game basis. On its own, that's a pretty weak explanation but it has been feeling like all the young guys, Terry included have been regressing or stagnating. Guys like McTavish, Carlsson, and Mintyukov showed a lot of flashes of promise and potential at the start of the year, but lately it's like each of them only has a handful of somewhat impressive plays per game. In Lacombe's case it's more that he was a lot more impressive in his debut under Eakins, but for big chunks of the year he was thrust into a defacto top pairing role and being exposed due to inexperience.

In Zegras' case, it's a little weird, he's been out most of the year so you don't have much of a sample to complain about, but in the games since he's been back, he's been one of Anaheim's more dynamic players but the Ducks are so broken that he's only managed one assist so far because no one is finishing the chances he's creating. And in the little bit of hockey he's played this year, overall his offensive threat has been lower than usual, presumably because Cronin and Zegras as a duo-setting a plan for Z to play more responsible two way hockey-haven't figured out a good enough balance with defense and offense to allow his creativity and offensive instincts take off.

In Zellweger's case, the sample size is too small.

For most of the guys it just looks like, to me, like they're all trying to play a more responsible brand of hockey but seem unsure of what that looks like. Where in the first quarter of the season the young guys seemed a lot more dynamic, now it looks like they're second guessing themselves and playing without fire and energy every shift.

I don't know exactly what's causing it but Cronin was brought on to be the head of what is supposed to be a development year and I'll I've seen is stagnation or regression after 75 games.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not the guy you were asking but I want to see that these kids are learning something on a game to game basis. On its own, that's a pretty weak explanation but it has been feeling like all the young guys, Terry included have been regressing or stagnating. Guys like McTavish, Carlsson, and Mintyukov showed a lot of flashes of promise and potential at the start of the year, but lately it's like each of them only has a handful of somewhat impressive plays per game. In Lacombe's case it's more that he was a lot more impressive in his debut under Eakins, but for big chunks of the year he was thrust into a defacto top pairing role and being exposed due to inexperience.

In Zegras' case, it's a little weird, he's been out most of the year so you don't have much of a sample to complain about, but in the games since he's been back, he's been one of Anaheim's more dynamic players but the Ducks are so broken that he's only managed one assist so far because no one is finishing the chances he's creating. And in the little bit of hockey he's played this year, overall his offensive threat has been lower than usual, presumably because Cronin and Zegras as a duo-setting a plan for Z to play more responsible two way hockey-haven't figured out a good enough balance with defense and offense to allow his creativity and offensive instincts take off.

In Zellweger's case, the sample size is too small.

For most of the guys it just looks like, to me, like they're all trying to play a more responsible brand of hockey but seem unsure of what that looks like. Where in the first quarter of the season the young guys seemed a lot more dynamic, now it looks like they're second guessing themselves and playing without fire and energy every shift.

I don't know exactly what's causing it but Cronin was brought on to be the head of what is supposed to be a development year and I'll I've seen is stagnation or regression after 75 games.

I mostly only watched those early season Ducks games and then I've wondered lately what happened to that team.

Perhaps it's partly Cronin's fault. In Columbus we had that very good Russian trio that was scoring every game together - then coach Vincent thought they were too much east-west and went to work on them, and they have barely scored since.

Young players also have to get used to the grind. And in Zegras's case I could buy that most coaches would want to put him through a longer term transformation.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Why? I hope JD has a long successful career with the Flyers by all accounts good kid, and as a Ducks fan obviously we hope Gauthier turns into our next Perry or whoever and can give this team a consistent top end goal scorer
I'd imagine it's just sour grapes from Philly fans talking all kinds of shit about and directly to Gauthier after the trade. Personally, I'm with you. I hope Jamie gets it together healthwise and has a great career.

I mostly only watched those early season Ducks games and then I've wondered lately what happened to that team.

Perhaps it's partly Cronin's fault. In Columbus we had that very good Russian trio that was scoring every game together - then coach Vincent thought they were too much east-west and went to work on them, and they have barely scored since.

Young players also have to get used to the grind. And in Zegras's case I could buy that most coaches would want to put him through a longer term transformation.
It's tough to say, in a nutshell, how much of it falls on Cronin and his staff and how much of it comes from the team being jaded from so many losses (or how much stems from a lack of leadership in the room), but after taking a break from watching the Ducks consistently (Bob Murray left a real bad taste in my mouth), this year I've been more diligent about watching them with all the youth coming in to the point that I'll skip Vegas games if they're playing at the same time. And I'm doing it to look out for how development is coming along in what Verbeek called a development season.

I was expecting the Ducks to miss the playoffs this year. What I wasn't expecting and am disappointed in is how much regression and stagnation I'm seeing where I should be seeing incremental improvements over the span of a season of hockey.

With Zegras I'm not overly concerned because while he's toned down the creativity quite a bit, he still has better vision and hockey IQ than most of the guys on the team, they're just not finishing. I just do wish that some of that creativity could come through here and there because it was Zegras' best strength. Part of it might be Zegras himself equating experimentation and adventurous spirit in the offensive zone with irresponsible play, but I get this feeling that Cronin isn't exactly encouraging him to play to his strengths while working on his game off the puck either.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Philadelphia fans are undeniably coping. They're coping like no one has ever coped before. It's likely going to be a very lopsided trade. Cutter is going to hover at 1 PPG for the vast majority of his career, with multiple 40 goal seasons. Not just a couple

I'm a philly fan

The truth is none of us know.
Cutter could be as you say, or he could be a 30/20 second liner.
Jamie could be plagued with injuries the rest of his career, or he could he a top pairing 50 point RHD the rest of his career.

Shit, the player picked with the 2nd rounder may be the best player in the whole trade lol.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Gauthier certainly has the potential to be a star in the NHL, then again he could also be another Adam Gaudette.

Nobody knows. Let the kid play before anointing him the next star or bust.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Gauthier certainly has the potential to be a star in the NHL, then again he could also be another Adam Gaudette.

Nobody knows. Let the kid play before anointing him the next star or bust.
Gaudette was an average/normal producer until his 20 year old season. Gauthier broke out much earlier. Gauthier could seriously disappoint, but his floor is much much higher than Gaudette lmfao.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00