C Cutter Gauthier - Boston College, NCAA (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I don't think Flyer fans know about the Justin Schultz situation. Ducks found a gem in the 2nd round in BCHL prospect, college bound D Schultz. Schultz told the Ducks he would sign with them after his junior year in college. Schultz kept his mouth shut and let the time expire to be signed by the Ducks in order to become a UFA. Ducks got nothing with the devious ploy Schultz did.

The crying about losing a top prospect from the NCAA to a Ducks' fan seems like a waste of time. It's already happened to us twice in the past 11 years. First time was D Schultz in 2012 and we got nothing. Second time was last year with D Thrun, but he told us he didn't want to sign with us near the end of his college season and we were able to fortunately trade him for a 3rd round pick.

The Flyers front office already knew for about a year that Cutter didn't want to be Flyer. There's confirmation the Flyers tried to trade Cutter at the last draft for the 5th overall pick, owned by MTL. MTL said no.

Because Cutter told the Philly org he wanted out early in his collegiate career, GM Briere was able to hold a sweepstakes for Cutter's rights - especially after a great showing at the WJC-20. The Flyers received an NHL top-pairing RD with elite speed AND a 2025 second round pick from the Ducks. Drysdale just signed a 3-year extension worth $2.3 mil AAV for the next three seasons. Drysdale had no say on "not being traded" by the Ducks, btw. Also, the Ducks are still in rebuild mode and that 2025 second round pick will probably be in the top half of the 2nd round.

Let's hope the complaints about wanting out of the org stops in this prospects thread. There's a the Flyers forum thread that will gladly welcome complaints specifically about Cutter wanting out of Philly.

===============

From a Ducks' perspective, we're acquiring a Flyers prospect with high potential. I dunno how high, but the Athletic's Pronman ranked the best NHL players and prospects under age 23 this past August, before the season started. Rankings are subjective with each respective org, but using Pronman is the closest we get to some objectivity.

• U23 NHL players and prospects ranking
    • Tier 2: Elite NHL player
      • 5. RW Michkov (Flyers)
    • Tier 3: Bubble elite to NHL All-Star
      • 7. C Zegras (Ducks)
    • Tier 4: NHL All-Star
      • 10. C Leo Carlsson (Ducks)
      • 15. C Mason McTavish (Ducks)
    • Tier 6: Top of the lineup player
      • 34. D Drysdale (Ducks) ⬅️
      • 38. C Cutter Gauthier (Flyers) ⬅️
    • Tier 7: Bubble Top to Middle of the lineup player
      • 59. D Zellweger (Ducks)
      • 61. D Mintyukov (Ducks)

With half the 2023-24 season done, the rankings are probably different now. Drysdale missed almost all of last season, which is why he was dinged down to 34th ranking. With Drysdale playing two games for the Flyers already, he's got 2 assists, +1 rating, and averaging about 21:00 ATOI. He's doing this at the NHL level today at age 21. Flyers fans are witnessing this at the NHL level today.

Ducks fans are still scrambling to find out what exactly do we have in Cutter. After reading up on his season this year at BC and the WJC on this thread, the consensus appears to be big PF with elite speed and great shot, but doesn't crash the net and trouble playmaking. Plus side is he wins FO's, which led to immediate points at the WJC. Also, playing center might not be Cutter's strong suit in the NHL.

In Anaheim, Cutter won't be playing as a top-6 center. (See list above.) That will help alleviate concerns about playmaking skills. With his huge size, I do worry that he doesn't crash the net and would prefer to shoot from afar - based on the reporting on this thread before he was traded to Anaheim.

This guy hitting it on the head, we should all just chill tf out and root for the other player or just leave it alone. I was a bit salty as were many, but its over now. It's just whatever, I've never seen any Anaheim fans on the board that were impossible to deal with anyways. That being said when CG comes to Philly it'll be a nightmare, but he's in the west anyways and it won't happen often, so it's not that big of a deal.

Last edited:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Honestly flyers fans are embarrassing themselves with how much this continues to drag on, he was a dick get over it lol you got a great player in the deal which is more than a lot of other teams in this situation have gotten. It’s like the cringy ex who can’t move on
He told them he loved them at the 2022 draft.
He wanted to get married a year later and they told him they weren’t ready.
He broke up with them after the 2023 WC.
They spent a year trying to win him back, calling him at all hours, showing up at his work, etc.
He finds a new GF and they start screaming about how he cheated on them and he ghosted them.

Look, Cutter is just trying to get out of a toxic relationship here.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looked great last night. Has the speed, able to win puck battles and he is responsible on defense, broke up a potential 2 on 1 SH opportunities by the opponent. He also almost picked up an assist on a great pass when they were short handed. But their goalie made a great save.

5 points (4 goals)in his last 2 games, since being traded to the Ducks. Really excited, Ducks desperately need more offense, and need a goal scorer to compliment players like Carlsson and Zegras.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Looked great last night. Has the speed, able to win puck battles and he is responsible on defense, broke up a potential 2 on 1 SH opportunities by the opponent. He also almost picked up an assist on a great pass when they were short handed. But their goalie made a great save.

5 points (4 goals)in his last 2 games, since being traded to the Ducks. Really excited, Ducks desperately need more offense, and need a goal scorer to compliment players like Carlsson and Zegras.

Didn't have a goal in the second Providence game according to the box score - only an assist.

His goal scoring is not a question - particularly at the NCAA level.

His overall game will determine his success as a pro.

What Drysdale brings to the Flyers defense corps (assuming he can stay healthy) is not in question.

Think the main reason Gauthier did not want to sign with the Flyers was an unwillingness to begin his career in Lehigh Valley. Given the depth and youth of the Flyers' forward group, that likely would have been the case.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Didn't have a goal in the second Providence game according to the box score - only an assist.

His goal scoring is not a question - particularly at the NCAA level.

His overall game will determine his success as a pro.

What Drysdale brings to the Flyers defense corps (assuming he can stay healthy) is not in question.

Think the main reason Gauthier did not want to sign with the Flyers was an unwillingness to begin his career in Lehigh Valley. Given the depth and youth of the Flyers' forward group, that likely would have been the case.

He did produce in the WC playing against men, So I am very hopeful he can translate his goal scoring to the NHL level.

Also, yeah made a mistake, he had a goal and an assist 3 games ago. So he has 6 points in 3 games. My bad.

Ducks need goal scoring, so I can understand why this trade was made.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Scores a hattrick and doesn‘t have his thread bumped the same night. He’s truely a Ducks prospect now.
I mean if that's what it takes to stop seeing the bellyaching from his former fanbase, I'm all for the silence.

He did produce in the WC playing against men, So I am very hopeful he can translate his goal scoring to the NHL level.

Also, yeah made a mistake, he had a goal and an assist 3 games ago. So he has 6 points in 3 games. My bad.

Ducks need goal scoring, so I can understand why this trade was made.
To be honest, I was out of the country for the entirety of the WJC and I probably wouldn't have felt compelled to watch with Luneau out anyway, but having seen his highlights it kind of looked like about half or so of his points came from face off win plays.

I don't think that should be an indictment against him necessarily. Of the 2 BC games I've watched now, the elements of a strong triggerman are there for the kid and like you said, that could be a nice complement for Leo or Zegras. That said there's definitely some aspects of his game that need maturing and refinement and the onus is on BC and Anaheim to handle his development properly.

Reactions: Vipers31

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Anaheim’s youngsters are stupid good. If they add the right vets around them, they will be a wagon soon. easier said than done of course as some teams add the wrong guys (Ottawa) or they don’t add anyone at all (Buffalo)

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The interesting thing to see will be how he'll adapt to his new role. I think he's being asked to be THE guy and C on his line for both his college and WJC team. In the NHL he'll probably be asked to start off as the 3rd wheel and a winger long term (he'd have to out play Mac and Zegras to take the 2C, doubt any of them pass Carlsson). Some players are able to adapt perfectly, and he seems to have the skill set to do it, but others have struggled to go from C to wing (could be ego, tendencies, etc.)

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Anaheim’s youngsters are stupid good. If they add the right vets around them, they will be a wagon soon. easier said than done of course as some teams add the wrong guys (Ottawa) or they don’t add anyone at all (Buffalo)
I'm a Coyotes fan and I always expected Ottawa and Buffalo to pull out of their rebuilds quicker than AZ. The difference is partly adding the right vets to support or shelter the kids also partly about finding the right coaches.

Reactions: MNRube and lwvs84

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
The interesting thing to see will be how he'll adapt to his new role. I think he's being asked to be THE guy and C on his line for both his college and WJC team. In the NHL he'll probably be asked to start off as the 3rd wheel and a winger long term (he'd have to out play Mac and Zegras to take the 2C, doubt any of them pass Carlsson). Some players are able to adapt perfectly, and he seems to have the skill set to do it, but others have struggled to go from C to wing (could be ego, tendencies, etc.)
We’ll see, it’s not like we’re talking about a guy who hasn’t played wing. He played the wing for the majority of the time on the NTDP. He’s light years better defensively now, he’s killing penalties at BC, he has a lot of defensive responsibilities, takes care of the puck in his own end, etc. Anyone who says he isn’t vastly improved defensively this year hasn’t watched.

I have said for a while I think he’ll be great on the wing and that’s where he belongs. Maybe he’ll be a little rusty with his puck retrieval on the half wall on breakouts but he’ll be more than fine there. The weakest part of his game in my opinion is his neutral zone/transition game and a lot of that goes away moving to winger. He has all the power elements to his game, it’ll be more about using it a lot more whereas he’s not typically that guy positionally at BC right now. He could develop a better net front presence if they move him there on the PP as he’s a half wall guy now but that’s something he can develop. That’s more of developing a more solid base and toughness factor

Last edited:

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
We’ll see, it’s not like we’re talking about a guy who hasn’t played wing. He played the wing for the majority of the time on the NTDP. He’s light years better defensively now, he’s killing penalties at BC, he has a lot of defensive responsibilities, takes care of the puck in his own end, etc. Anyone who says he isn’t vastly improved defensively this year hasn’t watched.

I have said for a while I think he’ll be great. Maybe he’ll be a little rusty with his puck retrieval on the half wall on breakouts but he’ll be more than fine there. The weakest part of his game in my opinion is his neutral zone/transition game and a lot of that goes away moving to winger. He has all the power elements to his game, it’ll be more about using it a lot more whereas he’s not typically that guy positionally at BC right now. He could develop a better net front presence if they move him there on the PP as he’s a half wall guy now but that’s something he can develop. That’s more of developing a more solid base and toughness factor
From everything I've read and little I've seen on breakdowns, it does seem more like when and not if. Gauthier (shooter that can pass, big and fast, solid defensively) seems like he'll be a great fit next to Carlsson (playmaker that can score, big and fast, creates turnovers). Those two have size to offset Terry who's another guy that can shoot and pass but isn't as big. Now that his kid is probably sleeping through the night, he's looked a bit better :laugh:

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Flyers fan here chiming in on him since I’ve been keep tabs on him for obvious reasons since he was drafted, even after the trade.

Coming into the year I expected him to be at at least 1.5 PPG as a second year college player and top 10 NHL draft pick. He’s essentially hovering that mark at 1.46ppg.

After watching his year play out. If he’s a winger think he can be a top line winger or a really good 2C. Anaheim doesn’t need centres so play him on Carlson’s wing and cash in!

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Flyers fan here chiming in on him since I’ve been keep tabs on him for obvious reasons since he was drafted, even after the trade.

Coming into the year I expected him to be at at least 1.5 PPG as a second year college player and top 10 NHL draft pick. He’s essentially hovering that mark at 1.46ppg.

After watching his year play out. If he’s a winger think he can be a top line winger or a really good 2C. Anaheim doesn’t need centres so play him on Carlson’s wing and cash in!
Ya he’d be welcomed to play with zegras carlsson or terry…. All 3 guys are great play makers that need someone to put the puck in

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

Sorry he didn't sign with you guys, I HATE that players can do that too the teams that drafted him. I think you guys did well in the trade, I think Drysdale will end up a good #2 D.

I'm kind of hoping the Ducks run 3 scoring lines if they can get the wingers for it. If they pair Carlsson and Terry, McTavish and Vatrano, and Zegras and Gauthier, that could be the basis for 3 good lines next year. It'll depend on what the Ducks can get out of prospects/trade/FA. Otherwise, some combination of those 6 will probably be the top 6.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Sorry he didn't sign with you guys, I HATE that players can do that too the teams that drafted him. I think you guys did well in the trade, I think Drysdale will end up a good #2 D.

I'm kind of hoping the Ducks run 3 scoring lines if they can get the wingers for it. If they pair Carlsson and Terry, McTavish and Vatrano, and Zegras and Gauthier, that could be the basis for 3 good lines next year. It'll depend on what the Ducks can get out of prospects/trade/FA. Otherwise, some combination of those 6 will probably be the top 6.

Yeah I think all the best teams throw three good lines at you like that. Add the right blue collar support players to each of those lines, and you have a pretty darn good top 9. Killorn and Strome are solid options for the short term. I think we already have some bigger body guys in the system who could fit the mold (Myatovic, Hvidston etc).

Reactions: lwvs84

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
So excited for this guy. I think Anaheim is a much better situation for him to succeed. He can slot in on the wing and let guys like Carlsson, Zegras, or Terry drive the line and he can do what he does best.

He is exactly what the Ducks needed with their future forward group. A big body that can put the puck in the net and doesn't need the puck on his stick all game to be most effective.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah I think all the best teams throw three good lines at you like that. Add the right blue collar support players to each of those lines, and you have a pretty darn good top 9. Killorn and Strome are solid options for the short term. I think we already have some bigger body guys in the system who could fit the mold (Myatovic, Hvidston etc).
Yeah, we'll hopefully get to see Colangelo for a few games at the end of this season too. If he can turn into a good support player/net front presence that would be massive for this team. Short term, I hope the team goes with 2 kids and a vet next season on each line. It keeps Strome away from C, there is leadership on each line, and running Carlsson/Mac/Z down the middle spreads out the offense. Anaheim may not be a playoff team next season, but they could be a lot of fun to watch if they can stay healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad