C Cutter Gauthier - Boston College, NCAA (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Lindros let the team know before the draft not to draft him. They did anyways. Completely different. Smooth brains keep making this comp
Same difference. Refusing to play for the team that drafted you and holding an entire franchise ransom. PUNK MOVE. And flaming ppl for having an opinion opposite your own just means you're losing the debate.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Why do you even care?

I actually appreciate this kind of honesty. If I were drafted, there's quite a few places I wouldn't want to play

That's now how our system is setup FOR GOOD REASON. Then why have a draft? Why not just make every prospect a UFA. Respectfully, I don't think you and others are thinking this through....so the answer as to why do I even care, is that this is the reason we have the rule. It's blackmail and they know that teams can't afford to let punks like Lindros and Gauthier rot, so they are forced to make a move.

Reactions: Devonator and NTDP

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
I don't understand how casuals on social media are drawing the comparison to Lindros.

On the surface, yes they both got moves to other franchises, but the story of Lindros goes further than that.

Because it is just a fun, surface level comparison. "Top prospect gets traded because he refused to play for the team that drafted him. Also the Flyers were involved."

I keep seeing people get bent out of shape because the comparisons aren't carbon copies. It's really not that serious.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I get both sides but personally I think the draft should be sacred. Parity and having hope for the future are important for the NHL staying alive. It’s only a few odd players here and there but I’d be worried about the future of the sport if this became a common occurrence

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Same difference. Refusing to play for the team that drafted you and holding an entire franchise ransom. PUNK MOVE. And flaming ppl for having an opinion opposite your own just means you're losing the debate.
Telling a team beforehand not to draft you, and they do it anyways, is completely different than doing an about-face aftewards.

I get both sides but personally I think the draft should be sacred. Parity and having hope for the future are important for the NHL staying alive. It’s only a few odd players here and there but I’d be worried about the future of the sport if this became a common occurrence
Parity is why my following of the NHL is heads and heels moreso than any other professional league.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Telling a team beforehand not to draft you, and they do it anyways, is completely different than doing an about-face aftewards.

Parity is why my following of the NHL is heads and heels moreso than any other professional league.
Even for bad teams like the Sharks, Blackhawks, and Ducks, there is hope for the future BECAUSE of the draft

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Even for bad teams like the Sharks, Blackhawks, and Ducks, there is hope for the future BECAUSE of the draft
Yep, can't buy your way out of a bad team. Hard cap keeps a level playing field. I can't understand why other leagues don't do a hard cap. So much more entertaining and adds a fascinating level to roster building.

Reactions: Henry Miller

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

*Holding an entire franchise ransom*

They won the trade, Drysdale is the better player and they got a second round pick from a bad team, why is he being treated like he walked and left the franchise with nothing. What a complete overreaction.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013

Gauthier decided he didn't want to play for a team based off his personal interactions with them, and if he got the impression they were cheap it's something that would affect his contract negotiations with them for at least the next decade.

Why does that make him a worse person than Michkov, who didn't want to play for teams that he knew nothing about?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
That's now how our system is setup FOR GOOD REASON. Then why have a draft? Why not just make every prospect a UFA. Respectfully, I don't think you and others are thinking this through....so the answer as to why do I even care, is that this is the reason we have the rule. It's blackmail and they know that teams can't afford to let punks like Lindros and Gauthier rot, so they are forced to make a move.

But it’s not like he wanted to choose Anaheim. The Ducks gave the best offer to Philly and they accepted.

I wonder if part of the outrage is because of Anaheim

Reactions: FlyguyOX

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
That's because you're focusing on the wrong part of my post and completely misunderstanding my point. It's not about whether you disapprove of death threats or to what degree. I really don't give a shit how strongly you feel about it. The point is using that as a springboard to circle things back to Gauthier's character or lack thereof is either deflection or whataboutism. You can absolutely talk about both but when the scope of your point is colored by a statement like "yeah well one thing done by X is bad but if Y didn't do Z then..." you obfuscate the discussion of one thing by correlating the two and then get to the point where the reader implies that Y deserves some share of the despicable treatment they endured because they also did something unsavory. Whether you meant to or not is an entirely different matter.

The death threats are bad and pathetic behavior. That shouldn't be up for debate. Whether Gauthier's behavior is excusable is up for debate based on the circumstances here, but there's nothing wrong with feeling that what he did was inexcusable. Relating the two to suggest that he should have expected it and therefore should get over it and not mention it to the media, is where the problem here lies. That's a lot to ask from someone still growing up who is facing a societal situation that people rarely experience.

"Death threats are cowardly"

There, that's my first comment...not yeah, well one thing leads to another. Where did I say he should have expected death threats and get over it and not mention it to the media?

If he received death threats, he should call the police.

If he's going to tell a team he's glad to play for them and they use a high pick, and then he turns around and refuses to have any contact with them whatsoever, he should know he's going to take a lot of grief from that organization and it's fans.

That's all I've said.... not "Death threats are fine cause he scorned the Flyers".

And please don't tell me which part of what topic it's ok for me to respond to.

If you find that to be below your conversational esteem, then we'll just go our separate ways. I've said my piece.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Gauthier decided he didn't want to play for a team based off his personal interactions with them, and if he got the impression they were cheap it's something that would affect his contract negotiations with them for at least the next decade.

Why does that make him a worse person than Michkov, who didn't want to play for teams that he knew nothing about?
Michkov details aren't public. That's speculation and rumor. Plus, if true, he would've told teams before the draft if he did or did not prefer to be drafted by them. Flyers would've drafted differently had Gauthier told them the same.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna

Both players refused to go to the team who drafted them in the NHL entry draft. That is the biggest factor here. Is Lindros any more righteous because he pouted and stomped his feet before the draft? I don't think so. It was wrong for him to skirt the process. So let's use your logic. What if every single top draft pick tells the team who has the first pick not to pick him? That makes it any better for that team? No, it's nothing short of blackmail, and completely contrary to the entire spirit of having a draft. And again, what's the point of having a draft if this is allowed to continue?

And as I've stated before, his petulance and those horrible parents of his paid for it in the long run. He was drafted in 1991. Four years later the Nordiques become the Aves. And the Aves win a cup that season. If Eric had paid his dues like 99% of prospects do. He'd have a couple cups and chances are a nice long career not having to face Scott Stevens multiple games per year being in a different conference.

Suck it up. Play out your ELC and then you can decide if you would prefer to be moved. It's fair and that's why the system is setup that way. My hope is that teams will start to stand their ground and let this spoiled little punks rot. But I understand they can't afford to do that. This is a loophole that needs to be closed.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Michkov details aren't public. That's speculation and rumor. Plus, if true, he would've told teams before the draft if he did or did not prefer to be drafted by them. Flyers would've drafted differently had Gauthier told them the same.
He wouldn't have known at the time though. If Michkov did tell teams he didn't want to play for them do you think he is a gutless coward too?

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
*Holding an entire franchise ransom*

They won the trade, Drysdale is the better player and they got a second round pick from a bad team, why is he being treated like he walked and left the franchise with nothing. What a complete overreaction.
So because Briere happened to make a good deal it justifies Gauthiers actions? It's not an overreaction at all. It sets a terrible precedent. And is against the reasons we have a draft.

Reactions: Devonator

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Perhaps at the time he was drafted, he felt differently about the Flyers and changed his mind due to whatever reason.

I understand losing a top prospect sucks, but it's not like Flyers got nothing here, which would've happened if he just stayed in college and led them on like Schultz did to Ducks.

It seems to me that Gauthier was very fair to Flyers management by staying quiet. Allowed Flyers to get a good haul.

Welcome to the club of teams that have been f***ed by college hockey loophole. Just understand, what you got is massive compared to what usually happens.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
"Death threats are cowardly"

There, that's my first comment...not yeah, well one thing leads to another. Where did I say he should have expected death threats and get over it and not mention it to the media?

If he received death threats, he should call the police.

If he's going to tell a team he's glad to play for them and they use a high pick, and then he turns around and refuses to have any contact with them whatsoever, he should know he's going to take a lot of grief from that organization and it's fans.

That's all I've said.... not "Death threats are fine cause he scorned the Flyers".

And please don't tell me which part of what topic it's ok for me to respond to.

If you find that to be below your conversational esteem, then we'll just go our separate ways. I've said my piece.
Probably the last I'll say about it too, but you chimed in in response to my reply to someone who basically said that Cutter is a diva for telling the media he was getting death threats, implying that he should just get over it and implied that his being upset about receiving death threats is indicative of mental issues that will cause him to bust.

Your response did start with death threats are bad but you continued with, essentially, "but what Cutter did is cowardly too, just a different kind of cowardly"

If you hadn't said that in response to what I said, and just griped that Cutter's behavior was cowardly outside of the context of death threats, I'd have nothing to say to you because it would be no different than the hundreds of other posts and tweets saying the same thing. By drawing the relation between death threats and Gauthier spurning the team that drafted him, especially in text form that presents at least the appearance of deflection or whataboutism if not straight up implication that death threats were deserved or should be expected and dealt with quietly.

I really don't have a different way to explain it any other way aside from what I've already said. It has nothing to do with restricting what parts of my post you get to respond to or holding myself up to some exalted conversational esteem.

My explaining why you're missing my point is not me claiming I'm better than you. Just trying to clarify a disconnect.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
It’s the 2020’s, people should be able to work where they want.

The NHL is a business and the stakeholders in that business are the teams. They're the shareholders, per se. So sure, if they don't want to follow the terms setout by that business, they can go rot in some insignificant European or Russian league. The problem is, that teams can't afford to finish at the bottom, draft a player and let that player rot. This is clearly the reason these punks do what they do. It's dirty af. And the owners of the NHL (the team owners) should push to have it closed. Thankfully most prospects are honored to have been chosen and know that they haven't proved dick yet, and go up to the podium happy to be picked by ANY NHL team. And once they've fulfilled their ELC, then they can make a different decision if they wish. That is fair for all involved. Or the players can create their own league and make their own rules. Let's see how good that would work out (see WHA).

Fordy

May 28, 2008
as much as i love anyone deciding to bail on the flyers as an organization, boy could i not care less about hearing that someone is getting death threats for the umpteenth time. no one made you be a hockey player, and make a (largely) unprecedented obviously controversial career move before you've ever played a game in the league. just own it, and get used to it. i don't remember crosby running to the media to say how mean everyone was being to him for the crime of torching that franchise night in and night out, and i'm sure it was much worse and lasted much longer than this will

Reactions: LesCanadiens

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
So because Briere happened to make a good deal it justifies Gauthiers actions? It's not an overreaction at all. It sets a terrible precedent. And is against the reasons we have a draft.
This didn't set any precedent. It's happened so many times over like 40 years that I'm surprised some of you survived it.

Players dictating where they want to play isn't new and the league somehow survived.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Was there any indication from the Gauthier camp they would only play for certain clubs, or was Brierre able to shop him to lots of teams? I’m thinking it must have been the latter because the return was pretty good. The Ducks even added a second.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
He’s receiving death threats… I know every fanbase has shit heads but you gotta think he’s thinking that he made the right decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad