C Curtis Lazar (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
Bump!
How's he doing this year?

He started of slow and has picked it up as late. He's gotten to play with Wruck and St.Croix over the last few games, and its helping do what he does best, shoot the puck. His defensive game has been really good this year as well. He starting to get some feature roles now. PP and a bit of PK time. I think the points will start to roll in a little more freqently now.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Could someone rank Lazars play so far this year?

Seen him twice, once live.

Fun player to watch. Gritty, good skater, great shot with a very good release.

He'll be in the running for a top 10 spot in 2013.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
On his play and how he's doing. Don't get to watch him, so i try to keep up to date.

I've seen him twice now and he's been good, but not a stand out. It's tough to stand out though when you have such a deep team filled with very good 18, 19 and 20 year olds.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Lazars game like I said before is not flashy...he is strong, hard working, physical, he moves well without the puck, makes smart quick plays, and has a deadly shot.

KeeperOfTheCage

Mar 16, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Curtis Lazar

Sorry if this thread has been done already.
Curtis Lazar is a friend of a friend (I haven't met him, but my friend is very close to him as he played hockey with my friend's brother before going to the Dub).
I just wanted to know what everyone sees from him now in Edmonton and what they see for the future. I hear he has quite the competition with MacKinnon from the Halifax Mooseheads in the Q as they're both in the same draft class. Can you compare the two?
I haven't seen either of them play (hopefully next time the Oil Kings play against the Giants) and am just very interested in hearing about him because it's pretty cool knowing that sort of connection.
Thanks guys!

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
Lazar is having a fine year playing as a role player this year. When the Oil Kings acquired Tyler Maxwell in December, it pushed him down the depth chart. He'll likely be back in a feature role next year when Maxwell moves along at the end of the year.

countrcultur

Jan 10, 2012
He's very mature and well-rounded, great two way player physical forechecker decent speed and hands. He will be a solid nhler. Really dependable young guy who coaches trust in all situations.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He's very mature and well-rounded, great two way player physical forechecker decent speed and hands. He will be a solid nhler. Really dependable young guy who coaches trust in all situations.

Sums it up well.

Very nice looking player.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
So, still in the playoffs scored last night I think (tweeted by renegade stylings i believe), but how was his regular season? Obviously not the 80 point player i predicted :laugh:..but still had a good year i found. Like scoutman1 said he's not flashy or anything, but wow his shot. It surprised me how fast he got the puck off his stick on one of his goal's didn't even think he'd shoot it. Spoke to him twice this year very nice and humble guy, really appreciates everything. What does he need to improve as well?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
So, still in the playoffs scored last night I think (tweeted by renegade stylings i believe), but how was his regular season? Obviously not the 80 point player i predicted :laugh:..but still had a good year i found. Like scoutman1 said he's not flashy or anything, but wow his shot. It surprised me how fast he got the puck off his stick on one of his goal's didn't even think he'd shoot it. Spoke to him twice this year very nice and humble guy, really appreciates everything. What does he need to improve as well?

well he needs to get stronger, and faster...he has the work ethic, he has the shot, he has the smarts and the physical and gritty play, and does all the little things...so really he just has to keep working on getting stronger and faster.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
well he needs to get stronger, and faster...he has the work ethic, he has the shot, he has the smarts and the physical and gritty play, and does all the little things...so really he just has to keep working on getting stronger and faster.

I could see him doing that in the summer. He's already 190lbs so he doesn't need to bulk up. Still early but from what you've seen this year is he potentially able to become a 1st line centre in the NHL, or more so a 2nd?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Don't forget Petan, Rankin either, and if Seth Jones goes to Evrett, watch out.

Lazar, Rankin, Pulock, Roy, Comrie, Shinkaurk, Morrissey, Bowey, Petan, Klimchuk, Forsberg, Lees, Merkley, Chase, Needham, White, Heathring, Nikkel, Jensen, Geertsen, Kanzig, Hauf, Erkamps, Smith, Williams....it is a very scary draft for the WHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad