C Curtis Lazar (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
How tf was this guy a first round pick? Just looking at this draft year stats, he wasn’t even a ppg in the WHL ffs. I understand stats don’t mean everything, but 61 pts in 72 games is extremely pedestrian.

Bo Horvat put up similar numbers that season as well. Sometimes guys won't put up big numbers on Memorial Cup caliber squads if they're lower on the totem pole for PP time. It's part of the projection I suppose. I remember when the Devils originally had their first rounder, I argued with quite a few Devils fans who felt more comfortable with Hunter Shinkaruk over Horvat simply because of the stat sheet.

Plus there were quite a few misses after Lazar as well. Cautionary tale that it's not a given you're gonna hit on a top 6 F / top 4 D with a mid to late first round pick.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
How tf was this guy a first round pick? Just looking at this draft year stats, he wasn’t even a ppg in the WHL ffs. I understand stats don’t mean everything, but 61 pts in 72 games is extremely pedestrian.
It's less about the stats, just watching him you could tell his offense wasn't highly translatable.

Reactions: super6646

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Something about that Oil Kings team + his intangibles. Henrik Samuelsson got drafted from the same team in the 1st round and he's not even an AHLer.

Reactions: super6646

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Love this prospect, there is not a more complete forward in the 2013 draft at this point than Lazar, IMO. I am a huge fan of Shinkaruk but I seriously think by next year, Lazar will be a more better and valuable commodity for majority of teams picking in the top 5 position.

As a Leafs fan, if I was torn to pick between one of Shinkaruk and Lazar at this point and most likely in the future, I had definitely give a nod to Lazar.

He is also currently on my #4 ranked list from 2013 draft right after MacKinnon, Jones, and Monahan( phenomenal prospect).

Always fun when these threads get dug up

Reactions: Garyboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad