C Curtis Lazar (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Lazar, Rankin, Pulock, Roy, Comrie, Shinkaurk, Morrissey, Bowey, Petan, Klimchuk, Forsberg, Lees, Merkley, Chase, Needham, White, Heathring, Nikkel, Jensen, Geertsen, Kanzig, Hauf, Erkamps, Smith, Williams....it is a very scary draft for the WHL

It's really unbelievable, actually. Even a guy like Jamal Watson is going to turn some heads. Also a guy like Brett Stovin, who scored 13 goals on the Blades third line this year could be a guy that nets 20 or more and ends up as a top 4-5 rounder.

Tons of depth for the WHL.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
It's really unbelievable, actually. Even a guy like Jamal Watson is going to turn some heads. Also a guy like Brett Stovin, who scored 13 goals on the Blades third line this year could be a guy that nets 20 or more and ends up as a top 4-5 rounder.

Tons of depth for the WHL.

I've been loving this draft for the WHL since the Canada Games last year. There's just so much depth talent-wise. Not sure how many high-end 95s they'll have in 2013, but the depth of the draft should be very strong, IMO.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Lazar, Rankin, Pulock, Roy, Comrie, Shinkaurk, Morrissey, Bowey, Petan, Klimchuk, Forsberg, Lees, Merkley, Chase, Needham, White, Heathring, Nikkel, Jensen, Geertsen, Kanzig, Hauf, Erkamps, Smith, Williams....it is a very scary draft for the WHL

Knew I forgot a bunch. Can't believe I forgot Geersten. Next year draft in general is very scary let alone from the dub.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I went to a handful of Oil Kings games this season and I must have always went to the right games because Lazar was always a stand out. You wouldn't think so based on his point totals but he always impressed me.

...and now he's taken his game to another level in the playoffs. 4 goals and 10 points in 8 games. He's showing signs of being a big game player in his 16 year old season.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
C Curtis Lazar - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2013 Draft)

While all the talk is on Nathan Mackinnon for next year's draft, Curtis Lazar has quietly played solid throughout the entire season and is currently leading the Oil Kings in playoff scoring, quite amazing for a Rookie playing with such elite players like Michael St. Croix and TJ Foster. Lazar was picked 2nd Overall in the 2010 WHL Bantam Entry Draft, behind Alex Forsberg. Lazar posted 31 points in 63 games this year playing 2nd-3rd line minutes, and has 18 points in 17 playoff games. Lazar uses his blazing speed to go to the net for rebounds, but also plays a finesse game and has a decent shot.
6533136.bin

Lazar+Curtis+EOK4.JPG

WHL Profile: http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/6678

MooseheadCanadiens

Feb 26, 2012
Halifax NS
Its about time someone made a thread for this talent. IMO he has the ability to go top 3 next year, especially if he continues his playoff form into next years season.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
1. Nathan MacKinnon
2. Seth Jones
3. Curtis Lazar

thats the way i see it, but each player has another year to play until them. i really like Lazar however, just dont get to see him much living in ontario. heres hoping sportsnet picks up a game of the WHL finals.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I've consistently said that Shinkaruk is the head of the class for WHL forwards for the 2013 draft, but Lazar is definitely closing the gap in my eyes, if not leveling the playing field.

He's a big body, he plays aggressively, he goes to the net, he's got vision, he's got scorers hands and he can handle playing somewhat of a checking role. He really is a total package type of player.

The 2013 draft is scary good when it comes to the WHL class.

Fearless Leaf*

Love this prospect, there is not a more complete forward in the 2013 draft at this point than Lazar, IMO. I am a huge fan of Shinkaruk but I seriously think by next year, Lazar will be a more better and valuable commodity for majority of teams picking in the top 5 position.

As a Leafs fan, if I was torn to pick between one of Shinkaruk and Lazar at this point and most likely in the future, I had definitely give a nod to Lazar.

He is also currently on my #4 ranked list from 2013 draft right after MacKinnon, Jones, and Monahan( phenomenal prospect).

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I dont see Lazar going top 5, there is wayyyy too many players that are better. Ie Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov , Monahan , Shinkaruk, Duclair.

Cold Dome Beers

yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo
Aug 29, 2011
I dont see Lazar going top 5, there is wayyyy too many players that are better. Ie Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov , Monahan , Shinkaruk, Duclair.

The thing is - Lazar is gonna get tons of exposure in his draft year. The Oil Kings weren't expected to make it this far this year - but rather next year was our year. Barring a huge collapse (knock on wood), one can easily expect the Oil Kings to at least make it into the WHL final next season too. Medicine Hat doesn't have that privilege (especially without Bunz next year) - which is unfortunate for Shinkaruk.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The thing is - Lazar is gonna get tons of exposure in his draft year. The Oil Kings weren't expected to make it this far this year - but rather next year was our year. Barring a huge collapse (knock on wood), one can easily expect the Oil Kings to at least make it into the WHL final next season too. Medicine Hat doesn't have that privilege (especially without Bunz next year) - which is unfortunate for Shinkaruk.

Is there a comparable player in the NHL to Lazar?

Fearless Leaf*

He is already much more polished and well-rounded than any of those prospects listed aside from perhaps Monahan so I expect his offensive game to improve quite a lot by next june.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Another thread on Lazar: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=879943&highlight=curtis+lazar

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

But he is for sure one of my favorite players in the 2013 draft, I dont see him going top 5, bottom top 10 is where I see him going. It really shows how deep this draft is next year, we'll see top 10 talent pick in the 20's. His shot is amazing, has it all going right now, maybe his skating but its not a huge factor. He already has great size for his age, will only get better, his hockey sense is good as well. Fights when he has too, not bad at that either. After Mason Geersten (one of his good friends) got hit this year, he went right after the player and did an excellent job holding his own. Ive spoken to him before he's a really nice kid.

Is there a comparable player in the NHL to Lazar?

Ive heard Kesler, but i dont see it personally.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I have him top 10.. Behind other WHL players (now) Jones, Shinkaruk, and Poluck

Previewof2013Rankxlsx-2.jpg

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

I dont think Duclair is better than Lazar. Duclair is skilled and fast but Lazar reminds me of Mike Richards. He plays defense well, hits, excellent shot, goes to the tough areas and plays bigger than he is. And hes got great hands in close. It will be tough for scouts to find many errors in his game. I also think that other than size, Lazar will be able to do everything Barkov can do but with more offence.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The last Portland/Edmonton game was probably the best game I've seen all year from any league. Lazar was one of the main reasons for that.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
He'll go Top 5-10. He's a beauty out there. One of the premier forwards in the WHL.

Add on that the Oil Kings will be beast once again next season, we'll get to see him start the year off with prime minutes.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Have a hard time coming up with a comparison for him, because lots of times I will look for a comparable player that plays the same position and shoots the same way. That's virtually impossible for Lazar because he's a RH centre, that is more of a sniper than passer.

Ignoring the position aspect of things, I would say a guy like Shane Doan is an ok comparison.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
From what I've seen from him this season, if he keeps improving as he has been, I don't see how he is not a top 5, maybe even top 3, pick next year.

He's within the class of MacKinnon, Monahan, Barkov, and Jones, imo.

Unless Shinkaruk has a relatively big size increase next season, without losing his productivity, I'm thinking too many teams might pass on him. Of course, the size issue didn't hurt Skinner, so I guess you never know.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Would like to see the Oilers draft this kid. Trade up if need be. Playing between Hall and Yakupov can only be a good thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad