C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
He is going to be matched up against Barkov tomorrow in the exhibition game against Finland for anyone who is interested in watching at 11:30

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Watching the OP 's video, it seems like Matthews misses the net a lot. I think he did about 10 times in that 5 minute video. But besides that, he did seem great at protecting the puck with his body.

I really just want to watch him play more.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Watching the OP 's video, it seems like Matthews misses the net a lot. I think he did about 10 times in that 5 minute video. But besides that, he did seem great at protecting the puck with his body.

I really just want to watch him play more.

That video's the older, 2015 WJC tournament, FWIW.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know. I get a Malkin vibe from him. Minus the flashy nature Malkin has, the high IQ, great hands, good shot and size all remind me of Malkin. I'm not sure if he ever has a season like Malkin's Art Ross (would be crazy in hindsight) but I think he caps off better defensively.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Here we go. I'm expecting a strong performance from Matthews. He's going to rip Kukkonen a new one.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Very strong game today.

I really liked the way he could control the pace of the game. He looks versatile as well. The leafs need a #1 center and he definitely looks like he will fill that role in the future. He has a stocky build, which makes him very strong on the puck as well from what I saw in this last game.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Definitely looks like Kopitar,Barkov like center. Just what the Leafs needed.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
if anyone can find footage of his USNTDP year prior to this year that would be awesome. Can't seem to find much of anything on youtube

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
I see Jamie Benn meets Anze Kopitar.

he definitely has a Malkin-esque vibe to him as well. He is going to be a hybrid of a few players. He also has Benn's calm/unexcited composure after scoring a goal, like he's so used to doing it, it's routine for him

JacobimMugatu

HF Strength Thread
Jul 8, 2009
f=253
www.facebook.com
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2016...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

With the UNTDP, you’ve seen elite kids over the past number of years. Is there a kid that went through the program when you were there that reminds you of him? We’ve heard the big names – the Toews, the Kopitars, the Tavares – and those are huge, huge comparisons for the young man. Is there a player that you’ve coached where you’ve said, “there’s a similarity here?â€

Granato: I’ve been lucky to be on the ice with a lot of first-round picks, Hobey Baker winners and such. This is a whole other level because of the combination. He wins outright in the intangibles but he wins outright in the skill as well. His coordination and hand skill and hand-eye coordination is baffling. The things he can do at high speed within the context of the game, where other people feel pressure – he’s got some magic to him. He goes into situations and it’s like he carries no pressure with him. He wants to be challenged. He wants to go into the corner with the biggest, hardest, strongest guy because that’s the best challenge for him. He’s a unique guy in so many respects. I’m very fortunate, and feel very fortunate, to have him for the two years that I did.

When you think about Auston and the path, is it similar to what Jack Eichel did in Buffalo this previous year?

Granato: Time will tell. Everybody adjusts differently. I know Eichel had a great year. I had the good fortune of having both of them. No disrespect to Jack Eichel, and I know Auston has a lot to prove, but I think he’ll do that. I’m pretty confident he will.

I guess for all the people saying that Matthews isn't close to Eichel, somebody that has coached both of them has just come out and said that Matthews is the most skilled player who has ever played for him.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
There are a ton of good qualities and guys you can compare him to. Which is kind of crazy when you think about it :).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Craig button saying he would take Matthews over every first overall in the last decade not named Crosby/McDavid is serious hype.

I like Button, always have. He is not afraid to say or rank players that are often contrarian in nature.

Another Scout I like, Mark Seidel Head man of NACS, tweeted and retweeted this.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I like Button, always have. He is not afraid to say or rank players that are often contrarian in nature.

I don't think this is a case of Button being contrarian. They are practically equal players that vary by team. It similar to if Stamkos and Tavares were in the same draft, which was also highly debated.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

Scouts will have different opinions on prospects, that's for sure. We'll have to wait a few seasons to see how these comparisons turn out. For what it's worth, Craig said Matthews and eichel were the two players in the tier below McDavid/Crosby and above everyone else.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I don't know. I get a Malkin vibe from him. Minus the flashy nature Malkin has, the high IQ, great hands, good shot and size all remind me of Malkin. I'm not sure if he ever has a season like Malkin's Art Ross (would be crazy in hindsight) but I think he caps off better defensively.

Yeah maybe Malkin with less offense and more defense. Babcock is going to love this kid.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Toews. He still has to prove he can be clutch like Toews, but he plays a lot like him.

I don't see Toews personally. Toews doesn't have the offense that Matthews is capable of putting up.

From a size/personality type of assessment I can see some Toews in the kid. Calm, collected, mature and a leader. But I don't see many similarities in playing style when I watch AM34.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad