Born: 17-SEP-1997, Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=199898

topelement.jpg

Previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2007629

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Craig Button is on TSN radio right now, and he is saying that of the past 10 drafts, only Crosby and Mcdavid would be the only players he would draft ahead of Mathews. That is how highly he thinks of him.

Bit of a strange thing to say considering Crosby wasn't drafted in the past 10 drafts.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Top line C to start? 2nd line to break him in with Kadri #1? Or depends on what Babcock sees during camp/preseason?

They'll likely start Matthews as the #2 C.

I can't see them holding him back though. If it takes him a week to prove he's the best C on the team, he'll play 1st line minutes.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Bit of a strange thing to say considering Crosby wasn't drafted in the past 10 drafts.

1) 2005
2) 2006
3) 2007
4) 2008
5) 2009
6) 2010
7) 2011
8) 2012
9) 2013
10) 2014
11) 2015

Correct it's 11, wow HF you really showed Craig Button
Okay, I heard the exchange and here's what happened. Hayes wanted to ask Button if he would take Matthews over Eric Johnson, and go down the list from there (Kane, Stamkos, Tavares etc), Button said he didn't like questions like that, but to cut it short, he would take Eichel or Matthews over every #1 pick at the time of their draft in the last 10 years outside of McDavid. After a bit more questioning he said, he'd actually have to consider Tavares, but he would take them over E. Johnson, Kane, Stamkos, Hall, RNH, Yak, Mackinnon, and Ekblad. I think most people agree that those guys are the next tier of elite center's who have been in the draft since Crosby, with Stamkos and possibly Mackinnon being in the discussion, going further back you could add the guys slightly below generational such as Lecavalier, Thornton and Daigle.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Craig button saying he would take Matthews over every first overall in the last decade not named Crosby/McDavid is serious hype.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Craig button saying he would take Matthews over every first overall in the last decade not named Crosby/McDavid is serious hype.
Is it that nuts? His production (in the NLA, USHL and WJC) has been elite, and he's about as complete a package as you'll see. Big, natural centre, protects the puck very well, super high IQ, top notch hands, really good shot, he has it all.

I think he's definitely in the conversation with the other top 1st overalls at the same age (Tavares, Hall, Stamkos, Kane, MacKinnon, etc). For a single scout's opinion, I don't see anything crazy about having him at the top of that group, when talking about how you'd evaluate them pre-draft. Others would have him lower, but scouting is not an exact science.

Also, seems like he was really saying "I have both Matthews and Eichel below Crosby/McDavid, and roughly tied with Tavares, but ahead of every other 1st overall since Crosby (in terms of pre-draft outlook)". Seems reasonable enough to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad