C Auston Matthews (2016, 1st, TOR) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I've never really understood the Toews comparisons either. I think people just hear "two-way center" and immediately label him as a Toews or Kopitar type.

right? emphasis on "hear" too as they don't seem to watch the games.

Stylistically i feel like a Malkin/Forsberg hybrid is the best comparison so far. It's going to be really difficult to get the puck off him aswell.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The problem I have with the Malkin comparison is the skating ability. Malkin can flat out fly. And while Matthews is a very good skater, he's not nearly as agile as Malkin, especially at speed.

MarcusKane*

Feb 4, 2013
I've never really understood the Toews comparisons either. I think people just hear "two-way center" and immediately label him as a Toews or Kopitar type.

right? emphasis on "hear" too as they don't seem to watch the games.

Stylistically i feel like a Malkin/Forsberg hybrid is the best comparison so far. It's going to be really difficult to get the puck off him aswell.

I don't think you understand the comparison. Hes projected to be a Elite two way center, he doesn't have a flashy game. Toronto didn't draft him because they think he's going to put up 100 points. I think the toews/kopitar comparison is very fair. Really not sure y some think he's going to put up such big numbers, have you watched play? He's a defensive BEAST. So just to be clear, it's not lack of ability, it's the way he plays the game. You win cups with players like him.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I don't think you understand the comparison. Hes projected to be a Elite two way center, he doesn't have a flashy game. Toronto didn't draft him because they think he's going to put up 100 points. I think the toews/kopitar comparison is very fair. Really not sure y some think he's going to put up such big numbers, have you watched play? He's a defensive BEAST. So just to be clear, it's not lack of ability, it's the way he plays the game. You win cups with players like him.

Well right now he's not a two way beast. He's an excellent offensive player who's shown flashes defensively but it's still a work in progress. His offense is pretty polished, his defense, not as much. I'm starting to think his offense is actually getting underrated by some. And yes, people are saying he's like Toews or Kopitar in styles, not just saying you need those types to win.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The problem I have with the Malkin comparison is the skating ability. Malkin can flat out fly. And while Matthews is a very good skater, he's not nearly as agile as Malkin, especially at speed.
Yeah, Eichel is closer to Malkin in how he flies through the neutral zone and moves at speed. Matthews game is closer in the offensive zone with his stop/starts and subtle moves he uses to create space.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
He's a Forsberg/Malkin hybrid for me, which is unreal.

Matthews-Marner-Nylander-JVR is going to be a real nice top 4 to watch.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
My friend described Matthews as the guy who is going to shine when space starts to get taken away and things tighten up later in games. He thinks he has the shifty skating and puck handling to be able to shine during the moments the other team is desperate to not give up anything.

Not sure if I agree that this is somewhere that a player can shine. I suppose he's calling him clutch? What do you guys think?

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
My friend described Matthews as the guy who is going to shine when space starts to get taken away and things tighten up later in games. He thinks he has the shifty skating and puck handling to be able to shine during the moments the other team is desperate to not give up anything.

Not sure if I agree that this is somewhere that a player can shine. I suppose he's calling him clutch? What do you guys think?

It's a good skill set to have, but I'd worry that a player like that would try to hold the puck to create something instead of sticking to the game plan. Subban would do this, try to go all army of one late in tight games. When it didn't he was "being flashy" or "forgetting he has a team around him". High risk, high reward. How would someone like that be talked about in TO is the question.

When I think of clutch, I think Toews and Kane. They don't really do anything spectacular looking, they just get the job done with excellent finishing. I don't want my player dangling through traffic, I want him to get it to the defense and get to the front of the net as fast as possible for a redirect or rebound. It's not as pretty as one guy lugging the puck in the zone and undressing the defence and goalie, but it's effective.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
I don't see much Forsberg in Matthews. Forsberg had a nasty, mean, choleric side while Matthews always seems calm, composed and cold as ice. Matthews doesn't shy away from physical play but he's not there to crush people at the boards and cause them pain. Forsberg was holding on the puck for much longer and was driving the plays more agressively, though it may change as Matthews matures with age and gets a different role on his team. I hope Matthews' style will make him less injury-prone down the road, and I'm absolutely certain he'll become a better goal-scorer in the NHL than Forsberg.

I'm still sticking with Tavares as the closest comparison but then again, some things will probably change as the player develops.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Yeah, was also thinking Forsberg might have been too physical to be a good comparison to Matthews.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Forsberg was also a very flashy player while Matthews is not so much.

I don't know if Forsberg was all that flashy. He definitely had some highlight reel plays over his career, but I always saw him as a guy with a fairly workman like approach. But he was definitely more physical than Matthews (which is actually why I've compared him to Backstrom a lot)

The reason I like the Forsberg comparison is because both players have that unique combo of power and finesse. For being such a heavy player, Forsberg was a very good perimeter skill player when he needed to be, with the ability to dictate the play from the outside with the puck on his stick ala P Kane. Matthews is the same way, it's a skill that Toews doesn't have. But like Forsberg, Matthews can also play that behind the net possession game and take defenseman to the crease.

Maybe the Backstrom / Kane hybrid works a bit better (I think I brought that up previously). In any case, he's going to have a very unique combination of size, skill, and composure that we don't see very often.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012

Except he is flashy... and he will put up 100 points. Which is why he's not comparable to Kopitar/Towes and more to Malkin.

Honestly dont know how anyone who has watched Matthews play can say he's not flashy. Literally every touch of the puck he gets he makes a high skill play. Spin-o-rammas entering the zone, tight, quick board work, can dipsy-doodle around any defender...

The reason he can be considered 2-way is because he is SMART and knows when its time to use his skill and when just simply chipping the puck up is the best option. He wont force plays, but if you give him an inch he'll take a mile (and the puck will be in the back of your net)

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

But.... he's not projected to be a two-way beast, he's projected to be an offensive beast.

I'm not saying he can't become a defensive beast but as of now there's nothing supporting it other than him being "able to play a two-way game" which people think means selke candidate

Jul 10, 2003
KW
But.... he's not projected to be a two-way beast, he's projected to be an offensive beast.

I'm not saying he can't become a defensive beast but as of now there's nothing supporting it other than him being "able to play a two-way game" which people think means selke candidate

Every time I've watched him play, I've come away impressed with his strong 2 way game. I don't remember the last highly touted forward prospect who showed such defensive awareness the age of 18...perhaps you can name a few?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015

"He has all the tools to become a world-class, two-way center in the mold of [Chicago Blackhawks captain] Jonathan Toews or [Los Angeles Kings center] Anze Kopitar," said Thomas Roost, who evaluates draft prospects in Switzerland for NHL Central Scouting.
https://www.nhl.com/news/matthews-smooth-transition-earns-him-top-rating/c-780833

Matthews is a strong, powerful player who has the ability to make those around him elevate their games. He is a real good skater with powerful strides and strong jump. He possesses strong vision, excellent possession skills, a strong shot and the ability to create plays out of nothing for himself and his linemates. He is also strong defensively, bringing a good effort level and complete game."
http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Auston-Matthews

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Every time I've watched him play, I've come away impressed with his strong 2 way game. I don't remember the last highly touted forward prospect who showed such defensive awareness the age of 18...perhaps you can name a few?
Barkov comes to mind from the 2013 draft.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Except he is flashy... and he will put up 100 points. Which is why he's not comparable to Kopitar/Towes and more to Malkin.

Honestly dont know how anyone who has watched Matthews play can say he's not flashy. Literally every touch of the puck he gets he makes a high skill play. Spin-o-rammas entering the zone, tight, quick board work, can dipsy-doodle around any defender...

The reason he can be considered 2-way is because he is SMART and knows when its time to use his skill and when just simply chipping the puck up is the best option. He wont force plays, but if you give him an inch he'll take a mile (and the puck will be in the back of your net)

I agree. Matthews can be very flashy. He's got tons of neat little moves he can beat defenders with and keep control of the puck, and that's all on top of the crazy fast release wrister he has.

Perhaps it's all of the Eichel comparisons that leads to that conclusion? I can't name very many prospects in the last 5 years who have the flashiness of Eichel, kid is freaking insane.

MarcusKane*

Feb 4, 2013

i disagree 100%, i don't see malkin in any way,he wasn't even the best offensive player in the draft so gimmie a break. Just because he's 6'2 doesn't mean hes like Malkin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad