C Auston Matthews (2016, 1st, TOR) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
This must have been stressful time for the Leafs fans. :sarcasm:

It was just annoying reading everyday about Matthews bolting back to Europe or pulling a Lindros in every Matthews related thread. Now we can get back to the normal, more realistic stuff, like how Matthews is better than Laine.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
It was just annoying reading everyday about Matthews bolting back to Europe or pulling a Lindros in every Matthews related thread. Now we can get back to the normal, more realistic stuff, like how Matthews is better than Laine.
There just is never going to be any shortage of nonsense :laugh:. But, I suppose that is one less annoying topic now put to rest.

It might cool down long enough to just get back to hyping up Matthews too much for the tastes of others :).

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
This must have been stressful time for the Leafs fans. :sarcasm:

More amusing to me :laugh:. It was hilarious to see some fans panicking and some Leaf haters poke fun at what was pretty obvious. The Leafs and Matthews were going to get a deal done and this "heated negotiation" was all media based. The only peep from the Matthews and/or Leafs teams was Shanahan saying "Trust us, we'll get it done. Don't worry".

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I was really hoping they'd drag it out for a few more weeks. This thread was getting really entertaining.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
So stoked for this kid. His skill and potential is through the roof. I also think he's perfectly equipped for the Toronto media. They tried asking him crappy stuff during dev camp and he brushed everything aside respectfully and like some 10-year vet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
So stoked for this kid. His skill and potential is through the roof. I also think he's perfectly equipped for the Toronto media. They tried asking him crappy stuff during dev camp and he brushed everything aside respectfully and like some 10-year vet.

Got any examples? I'm genuinely curious

Mad Brills*

Got any examples? I'm genuinely curious

His phone conference asked the same questions and he handled it well by saying "as I said....." and just repeating those phrases.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I know a lot of people like the Toews comparison, but aside from size and position, I don't think they are all that similar, especially in their approach to the offensive game. He plays a much more pure skill game.

I've been saying it for a while, but Matthews' game with the puck on his stick reminds me much more of Patrick Kane. He's a bit bigger and not quite as slippery, but the hands, perimeter wrist shot, vision, dekes, composure, puck carrying, patience etc are all very Kane like. He goes to the net a bit harder than Kane did, but like Kane he relies more on fly by timing around the crease instead of setting up shop like a Toews.

And while he is a dangerous player from behind the net, I don't find him looking to set up there nearly as often as Toews or Kopitar. He seems to like the half wall and top of the circles much more. It's going to make him a very dangerous NHL scorer, as there aren't really many guys with his size and strength that can play that sort of skill possession game on the perimeter while still being able to dominate down low.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
I know a lot of people like the Toews comparison, but aside from size and position, I don't think they are all that similar, especially in their approach to the offensive game. He plays a much more pure skill game.

I've been saying it for a while, but Matthews' game with the puck on his stick reminds me much more of Patrick Kane. He's a bit bigger and not quite as slippery, but the hands, perimeter wrist shot, vision, dekes, composure, puck carrying, patience etc are all very Kane like. He goes to the net a bit harder than Kane did, but like Kane he relies more on fly by timing around the crease instead of setting up shop like a Toews.

And while he is a dangerous player from behind the net, I don't find him looking to set up there nearly as often as Toews or Kopitar. He seems to like the half wall and top of the circles much more. It's going to make him a very dangerous NHL scorer, as there aren't really many guys with his size and strength that can play that sort of skill possession game on the perimeter while still being able to dominate down low.

I've never been a fan of the Toews comparison. Toews, at least nowadays, relies on his work ethic and grit to create offense. Matthews on the other hand has the ability to do the same, but as you noted, chooses a more skillful approach to creating offense.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
They mostly ask stupid questions of Matthews and he seems to get through them without much ado.
I found Sportsnet's attempts to bait Laine into a controversial statement to be at a bush league level. They should be ashamed of themselves and i'm glad he gave them exactly what their act warranted, absolutely nothing.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Stylistically he reminds me more of a Forsberg/Sakic hybrid.

And no, this is not a "He's better than both" claim. Just speaking in terms of style.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Stylistically he reminds me more of a Forsberg/Sakic hybrid.

And no, this is not a "He's better than both" claim. Just speaking in terms of style.

Yea that's a good comparison. I've brought up the Forsberg one a few times. Both such strong guys with such soft hands.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Being 6'2" 216 at this stage of his development is crazy. This kid can easily add another 10 pounds to his frame and be 225+ in his prime.

What a crazy combination of size/skating/skill this kid has.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yea that's a good comparison. I've brought up the Forsberg one a few times. Both such strong guys with such soft hands.
Crawford specifically mentioned Benn and Kopitar. Like all elite looking players, its hard to find exact comparables. Offensively he reminds me a lot of Tavares, which I think has a lot to do with using the same personal offseason coach. Jim Benning (for all his faults, honest and a good scout) compared him to a better skating Tavares, Matthews also has a bit more size. Both use a lot of similar tricks in how they escape defenders, and both have great overall awareness. I'd say Tavares has a bit higher IQ, whereas Matthews may have better physical attributes and puck control (partially due to physical attributes).

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Every time I watch him all I see is Malkin offensively. Doubt he'll ever reach that ceiling, but the way he's always successful dangling, the hands he possesses, puck retreival, and the amazing shot & release are all so very Malkin-like.

Although I see him almost forsure getting less points, he should end up being much better defensively. (Especially faceoffs :laugh:)

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

I've never really understood the Toews comparisons either. I think people just hear "two-way center" and immediately label him as a Toews or Kopitar type. Forsberg is a much better comparison. He's bigger than Forsberg but they play that similar puck possession style of game. I think Matthews will be a bit more of a goal scorer though, while Forsberg had great seasons he only hit 30 twice, which is hard to believe, but it makes sense as it's the only 2 years where he played the entire season or didn't miss any time at all.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I've never really understood the Toews comparisons either. I think people just hear "two-way center" and immediately label him as a Toews or Kopitar type. Forsberg is a much better comparison. He's bigger than Forsberg but they play that similar puck possession style of game. I think Matthews will be a bit more of a goal scorer though, while Forsberg had great seasons he only hit 30 twice, which is hard to believe, but it makes sense as it's the only 2 years where he played the entire season or didn't miss any time at all.

Forsberg played a much heavier game, and I think preferred setting up behind the net a bit more, but they are both unique in their ability to use skill or strength to possess the puck and set up plays. I think a Forsberg / Sakic or Forsberg / P Kane hybrid works the best, just because I see Matthews as having that elite release and elusiveness / dangling with a bit better foot speed.

If Matthews is able to attain the same frame as Forsberg while keeping his skating ability, then holy **** that guy is going to be dominant.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Forsberg played a much heavier game, and I think preferred setting up behind the net a bit more, but they are both unique in their ability to use skill or strength to possess the puck and set up plays. I think a Forsberg / Sakic or Forsberg / P Kane hybrid works the best, just because I see Matthews as having that elite release and elusiveness / dangling with a bit better foot speed.

If Matthews is able to attain the same frame as Forsberg while keeping his skating ability, then holy **** that guy is going to be dominant.

I think another question is if Matthew's vision/passing ability is on par with Forsberg's. Forsberg was really special in the way he saw plays develop and he always knew where to put the puck.

Currysux*

I see more Malkin in him tbh but a better two-way player. If he becomes as good offensively as Malkin or close to while being a selkie caliber defensive player (which I think he will become) the leafs and Leaf fans are going to have a real good player on thier hands. Sucks that he is in the Atlantic but hopefully Larkin can keep him from annilating us.

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
Seems to be a bit more all around than Malkin. But definitely similar styles.
I think Matthews work ethic will be higher as well.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Seems to be a bit more all around than Malkin. But definitely similar styles.
I think Matthews work ethic will be higher as well.

I've always made the Malkin comparison as well. Malkin has a lanky frame though, 186 lbs at the same age vs 216 lbs, so that could be a big advantage for Matthews, although Malkin is exceptionally strong on the puck for his weight. Obviously it would be amazing for the Leafs if he becomes even close to as good as Malkin, it's exciting to think there's a chance he could be even better! Ultimately it comes down to his hockey sense and how well he processes the game at NHL speed.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I see more Malkin in him tbh but a better two-way player. If he becomes as good offensively as Malkin or close to while being a selkie caliber defensive player (which I think he will become) the leafs and Leaf fans are going to have a real good player on thier hands.

If you're close to Malkin offensively while also competing for the Selke with the likes of Barkov and Couturier once guys like Bergeron, Toews and Kopitar start declining... that means you're easily the best player in the league with not even McDavid as competition.

Matthews can become close to Malkin offensively, and he could be great defensively but there is (as of now) no strong evidence to support that.

it just became a popular trend by people who probably haven't even watched over 5 of his NLA games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad