C Auston Matthews (2016, 1st, TOR) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
i disagree 100%, i don't see malkin in any way,he wasn't even the best offensive player in the draft so gimmie a break. Just because he's 6'2 doesn't mean hes like Malkin.

Yes he is. There's one thing Laine does better than Matthews, slapshot from the left circle.

Matthews is a better passer, has a better wrister, has better puck control, better vision, higher IQ, stronger, faster and will easily score more "greasy goals."

Facts are facts.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
wow reading thru the past few pages is crazy haha... basically reading it, if Malkin, Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Forsberg, Sakic, Tavares, Barkov, Sundin had a super child combined, it would be Auston Matthews haha

Anyways on a serious note, kid is gonna be a good one and Im happy for Leafs to be building good youth... cant wait to see this team in about 3 or 4 years from now... gonna be exciting!!!... gonna be fun watching Leafs VS Jets in a few years, wow

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
wow reading thru the past few pages is crazy haha... basically reading it, if Malkin, Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Forsberg, Sakic, Tavares, Barkov, Sundin had a super child combined, it would be Auston Matthews haha

Anyways on a serious note, kid is gonna be a good one and Im happy for Leafs to be building good youth... cant wait to see this team in about 3 or 4 years from now... gonna be exciting!!!... gonna be fun watching Leafs VS Jets in a few years, wow
Well, atleast it never reached the Mario Lemieux/Brett Hull levels of another 2016 prospect pre-draft.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Especially when none of those facts matter because they weren't in the context of the NHL.
I fully expect them to come to fruition, but why argue about what might happen today. Let's wait and see the cards fall come the NHL season.

For real. I mean, why do we even have a prospects board? :sarcasm:

Currysux*

i disagree 100%, i don't see malkin in any way,he wasn't even the best offensive player in the draft so gimmie a break. Just because he's 6'2 doesn't mean hes like Malkin.

He is most definitely the best offensive player in the draft. Other than Laine's one timer from the left circle, every part of his game is inferior to Matthews.

Currysux*

ya mine+every scout:laugh::laugh:

What scouts? The ones from Finland? The only thing ive heard scouts say that Laine is superior to Matthews is his slap shot, thats it. Doesn't really help much when thats the only part of your game that is elite.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Yeah that release is sick, maybe even the best in the world, on and off the stick in one sift motion, top corner, 90 mph. Get with it man this forum is the big leagues, we ain't doin yo homework yeah?
That's what I thought.

Sucks he wasn't able to transfer it to the games other than a few rare times whereas Laine has more than 10 solid wrister goals this season. Matthews might have harder wrister/faster release in a perfect situtation but he isn't able to transfer it to the games like Laine can regularly, at least not yet.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
That's what I thought.

Sucks he wasn't able to transfer it to the games other than a few rare times whereas Laine has more than 10 solid wrister goals this season. Matthews might have harder wrister/faster release in a perfect situtation but he isn't able to transfer it to the games like Laine can regularly, at least not yet.

Nope, he's used it numerous times in games, including against some of the best goalies in the world. Again, looks like you need to do your homework. :)

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
That's what I thought.

Stop trying so hard and accept that Matthews is tier above Laine and better in all aspects.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Yes he is. There's one thing Laine does better than Matthews, slapshot from the left circle.

Matthews is a better passer, has a better wrister, has better puck control, better vision, higher IQ, stronger, faster and will easily score more "greasy goals."

Facts are facts.

better wrister lolol

they're not facts, it's a very subjective matter + you're a fan of the team he's in, as if you'd be objective about your own guy LOL.

it's a debatable topic hence why people keep debating it, you feeling narcissistically entitled to call your own opinions "facts" doesnt change much

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Well, atleast it never reached the Mario Lemieux/Brett Hull levels of another 2016 prospect pre-draft.

Stylistic comparison, stop forcing it dude. The Lemieux comparison (STYLISTICALLY) became popular through experts then adopted by fans.

You don't seem to have a problem with Matthews being compared to superstars stylistically (neither do i aside from the selke candidate + malkin in one package one)

edit: and yes obviously a couple of users overhyped him but it's tiring when people make it sound like we all did.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Stylistic comparison, stop forcing it dude. The Lemieux comparison (STYLISTICALLY) became popular through experts then adopted by fans.

You don't seem to have a problem with Matthews being compared to superstars stylistically (neither do i aside from the selke candidate + malkin in one package one)

edit: and yes obviously a couple of users overhyped him but it's tiring when people make it sound like we all did.
Popular through experts? Let's see which experts were comparing Laine to Lemieux.

Lemieux wasn't just your average superstar, he is a top 3 forward of all time. It was embarrassing when the hype for Laine reached such ridiculous proportions.

Mad Brills*

The leafs weren't taking another phil kessel when they needed to build around a 1C.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Not only do I think Matthews will get more points than Laine regularily, I think Matthews will also score more goals more often than not.
All while playing defense as well

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Wait you've never watched Matthews before?
I've watched both Laine and Matthews closely enough for the past year and I don't remember it ever coming up Matthews could challenge Laine's shot until now (surprisingly after the one wrister in practice from Matthews came live :D). Just like with Puljujärvi's shot, he might able to shoot it harder in a practice but when it comes to games and executing it in in pressure, Laine will take the cake. Last season showed it and I have no doubts next season will show it again.

Stop trying so hard and accept that Matthews is tier above Laine and better in all aspects.
I'm sure if Matthews really were tier above Laine, he wouldn't have gotten outscored by Laine everytime when competiting in same tournament last season. Or at least he could have carried his team with his tier above wristers like Laine was able to do multiple times.

Doesn't really help you if you are a tier above player in regular season games/practice but can't transfer it to the big games/into scoresheet, does it?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I'm sure if Matthews really were tier above Laine, he wouldn't have gotten outscored by Laine everytime when competiting in same tournament last season. Or at least he could have carried his team with his tier above wristers like Laine was able to do multiple times.

Matthews is required to play a strong-two way game, so the fact that he's committed to all parts of the game and still puts up similar points to Laine should tell you all you need to know.

I wonder how Matthews would be playing the wing with no defensive responsibility.

Think about it, a Two-Way Forward is produced and out produced an Offensive Winger.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Matthews is required to play a strong-two way game, so the fact that he's committed to all parts of the game and still puts up similar points to Laine should tell you all you need to know.

I wonder how Matthews would be playing the wing with no defensive responsibility.

Think about it, a Two-Way Forward is produced and out produced an Offensive Winger.

You realize they were playing in different leagues, right...and that one league is lower scoring than the other. The two times Matthews and Laine played at the same tournaments this past season, Laine out produced Matthews.

I'm surprised that the seven month age difference between the two isn't a big deal for you - i know in the past you've been extremely aggressive in insisting that even a difference of a couple of months is extremely significant.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
I'm sure if Matthews really were tier above Laine, he wouldn't have gotten outscored by Laine everytime when competiting in same tournament last season.

Easy to conclude that when the player you're clearly biased for had much better team mates in every tournament. Put Laine on the US teams and Matthews on Finlands and your tune would change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad