C Alexander Khovanov - Metallurg Zhlobin, Belarus (2018, 86th, MIN released)

wein

Jul 2, 2013

Moncton is going to have a really strong team next season and should have a good chance to host the Memorial Cup. They ar going to have a new arena which only helps their bid. Khovanov showing up would definitely help their top 6.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
Apparently he is in the US for some final tests and if everything's is good will report to Moncton next week.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
didn't he sign with ak bars at the start of the season? why would he go to the chl and ruin his career? that's brutal, especially when you missed half a year with an illness and has never been very fast and physical to begin with.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
didn't he sign with ak bars at the start of the season? why would he go to the chl and ruin his career? that's brutal, especially when you missed half a year with an illness and has never been very fast and physical to begin with.

I wouldn't say ruin, but I would not pick him in the first round any longer if he decides to play in the CHL.

HackeyFanz

Dec 8, 2017
Coming over to the CHL will help his draft stock not hurt it. After his illness he needs icetime.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It looks like coming to the CHL definitely won't help Zavgorodny to get a better draft position...
and it looks like staying in Europe didn't help Klim Kostin's. You can pick individual examples all day, like playing in the CHL is helping Alexeyev.

Reactions: cgf

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
and it looks like staying in Europe didn't help Klim Kostin's. You can pick individual examples all day, like playing in the CHL is helping Alexeyev.

That was his draft season. While he could've played more last season and been handled better, most first year draft eligible players don't get regular KHL playing time. These guys don't need to artificially improve their stats by playing in a Junior league. Stick it out in an environment where you became good to begin with. Kostin is helped a little by going straight to a decent men's league, but I still think he should've stuck it out in the KHL this season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its just a damn tiring narrative to see everytime a guy comes over that he's written off before he plays a game. Lets wait on Svechnikov before every single Russian thread devolves into the same crap.

Maybe its a narrative, but I find it true, and I think data backs it up. I don't want my team drafting Russian forwards who play in the CHL, very few exceptions.

Reactions: Fantomas

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That was his draft season. While he could've played more last season and been handled better, most first year draft eligible players don't get regular KHL playing time. These guys don't need to artificially improve their stats by playing in a Junior league. Stick it out in an environment where you became good to begin with. Kostin is helped a little by going straight to a decent men's league, but I still think he should've stuck it out in the KHL this season.
Because the Russian development system really helped Gurianov. Who looks like a career minor leaguer at this point. I mean, the CHL really ruined Radulov and Kucherov. The CHL is a fine developmental league for imports, you seem to think to give them the pro-option outweighs that, but so few kids are legit enough to play well in the AHL at 18. Look at how lost Alex Nylander is, he should have stayed at least one more year in Sauga.

Reactions: cgf

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Who knows, he's coming off a pretty draining illness. He could be flat for a while.

Well, right. If he doesn't get taken in the 1st round, it will be because he had a serious illness and was out for months.

To say he should not be taken in the 1st round JUST because he's going to the CHL is petty and pointless.

The record is not good.

Correlation does not always imply causation. To say you wouldn't take him in the 1st without even waiting to see how he does in the CHL is asanine.

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
It looks like coming to the CHL definitely won't help Zavgorodny to get a better draft position...
Who knows? Actually, none of us know or will ever know what his true draft stock was prior to playing in the CHL. It's just an assumption to push one's agenda. Maybe scouts would have never picked him as a tiny forward playing in Russia?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Because the Russian development system really helped Gurianov. Who looks like a career minor leaguer at this point. I mean, the CHL really ruined Radulov and Kucherov. The CHL is a fine developmental league for imports, you seem to think to give them the pro-option outweighs that, but so few kids are legit enough to play well in the AHL at 18. Look at how lost Alex Nylander is, he should have stayed at least one more year in Sauga.

Guryanov sucked in his last KHL season, but instead of trying to get better and make Lada's roster, he moved to NA. Yeah, it's really helped him...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Guryanov sucked in his last KHL season, but instead of trying to get better and make Lada's roster, he moved to NA. Yeah, it's really helped him...
Maybe because no one gave him ice-time and he sat on the bench. I love how Gurianov is now the AHL's fault. Maybe he just wasn't good enough to begin with, like some of the kids who fail over here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad