C Alex Turcotte - USNTDP, USHL (2019, 5th, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He's criminally underrated and was a line driver for Zegras and Kaliyev.

I'm confused by this statement. He certainly wasn't underrated in his draft year as most people thought he'd go as high as 3rd and no lower than 5th. That's not being underrated.

His play since being drafted could be fairly termed as moderately under performing. Many have attributed that to the program at UW and that might be right. I don't know. But whatever the reason, it has led the average observer to wonder about his true upside. That is especially true given that his size may not allow him to play the same way in the NHL that he played in junior or college. I personally see him as a good 2nd line center with 45-55 point potential. A good comparison might be Derek Stepan. I don't see the Mike Richards comparison at all. Richards was a much more dynamic player coming out of junior IMO.

Regardless, I don't see him being "criminally underrated"...I see his expectations being adjusted for reality.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I'm confused by this statement. He certainly wasn't underrated in his draft year as most people thought he'd go as high as 3rd and no lower than 5th. That's not being underrated.

His play since being drafted could be fairly termed as moderately under performing. Many have attributed that to the program at UW and that might be right. I don't know. But whatever the reason, it has led the average observer to wonder about his true upside. That is especially true given that his size may not allow him to play the same way in the NHL that he played in junior or college. I personally see him as a good 2nd line center with 45-55 point potential. A good comparison might be Derek Stepan. I don't see the Mike Richards comparison at all. Richards was a much more dynamic player coming out of junior IMO.

Regardless, I don't see him being "criminally underrated"...I see his expectations being adjusted for reality.
Then you haven't been reading the WJCs threads much. People were already labeling him a bust, like they are with Byfield now

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls

He's being viewed by many here as disappointing because he's not flashy like Zegras. He's a line driver due to his work ethic and wins many board battles because of it. To me he's similar to Ryan O'Reilly and should be a good pro. I don't think there were many better all around players at the tournament.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He's being viewed by many here as disappointing because he's not flashy like Zegras. He's a line driver due to his work ethic and wins many board battles because of it. To me he's similar to Ryan O'Reilly and should be a good pro. I don't think there were many better all around players at the tournament.

I don't disagree. I'd feel more comfortable with the O'Reilly comparison if Turcotte had O'Reilly's physical size.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Given that every 2-way center and their grandmother gets compared to O’Reilly, you have to take those comparisons with a grain of salt. However, I think it’s much more fitting for him. He’s got a high high skill level to go with his 2-way skill. You saw it with some of the moves he was pulling off like that toe-drag early in the tournament. Far closer to an O’Rielly than a guy like Lundell, who is more of a shoot-first center.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
He gives me a Mike Richards vibe. A little more skilled, a little less physical. Non stop motor, good both ways, plays with reckless abandonment. I am a bit worried he may not have the body type to play that hard charging style. Seems to get hit hard once a game. Love his game though

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Stepan's a different style player. Stepan was a weak skater, and his game was not as all-out as Turcotte plays. Stepan's more of a cerebral playmaker. He could do a lot of the little things, like Turcotte, but Turcotte does that with a different style.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As for a player comparison, I haven't seen a great one.

I hate these types of comparisons because it doesn't really help things out to say a player is comparable to a player yet a lot worse. However, the player whose playing style I think Turcotte's is most similar to is Crosby.

Absolutely no one should expect a Crosby type of impact. Turcotte's game is clearly though modeled after Crosby. He's even said before that Crosby is his favorite player. Same physique (height and weight), similarly strong skating. And I don't want to start saying the rest of their games are similar because Crosby will be one of the best players ever and thats an unrealistic expectation for any prospect, but Turcotte's efficiency in all zones, attention to the small details, the way he uses his offensive skills, ability to play on the inside in the offensive zone, forechecking ability, and strong emphasis on hockey sense is modeled after Crosby. Where he falls on the scale of these style players who didn't have much impact in the NHL to the best player of his generation, Crosby, will be determined.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
So how's Turcotte coming along with his injury? What's the plan for him? I take he'll be on his way to Ontario when he recovers.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah Parise is who he reminds me of.
He doesn't remind me of Parise at all. Parise was electric when he was young, and a scorer. Very aggressive, not to mention, a wing. Turcotte is a C, with a quiet two way game. I don't see him being anything like Parise as a goal scorer.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
He doesn't remind me of Parise at all. Parise was electric when he was young, and a scorer. Very aggressive, not to mention, a wing. Turcotte is a C, with a quiet two way game. I don't see him being anything like Parise as a goal scorer.
I dont think Turcotte plays a quite game and plays aggressively too, at least a big motor. Outside Caufield he also had the best goalscoring numbers of that US squad. His goals/assists ratio was close.

Whether you think he plays like Parise or not, I dont think it deserved a “not at all” reply.

Right now he only matches Parise in the injury department and I doubt that will ever change.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

FWIW Parise was a center in college/AHL and moved to LW in the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised if Turcotte did the same. Regarding "electricity" maybe Parise was a more dynamic offensive player at the same age (I don't have perfect recall), but both are very aggressive imo and play a good two way game. I don't know that's who I was reminded of watching the WJC, YMMV.

EDIT: Here's Parise's scouting report from the best prospect scouting resource on the planet if you are interested: Hockey's Future: The Hockey Prospects Resource (Covering the WHL, QMJHL,AHL, OHL, College, The NHL Entry Draft, and All Junior Hockey)

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
His game is only 'quiet' because everyone was too busy drooling over Zegras to notice his work.

I don't know that Parise is who I would use either, I still really like the Mike Richards comparison, even down to the stride, even though Turcotte has a hell of a motor.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
I dont really see his size being a big issue transitioning to pro. He's a solid 5'11" brick, and skates in a low athletic position which adds to his reach. He and Pod were like the only players in the 2020 wjc that Seider couldnt just toss off the puck at will

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I dont really see his size being a big issue transitioning to pro. He's a solid 5'11" brick, and skates in a low athletic position which adds to his reach. He and Pod were like the only players in the 2020 wjc that Seider couldnt just toss off the puck at will

I completely agree. Crosby is "only" 5'11 too. I don't think he'll have a problem. Parise, Pavelski, Giroux. There's more to being strong on the puck and on your skates than your size. I think he'll finish the season with the Kings once he's back from injury and has spent a bit of time with the Reign. Hopefully he'll be getting top line minutes with Kopitar and Kempe.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Using Crosby as a comparison to any player is just flat out stupid. But he can definitely be a Mike Richards style player at his height

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad