C Alex Newhook - Boston College, NCAA (2019, 16th, COL) Part 2

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I wasnt even talking about Podz by himself, i was also talking about Broberg and Soderstorm. Or wait do you think im biased with those prospects as well even though their with division rivals?

But yes, i think at this point Podz Broberg and Soderstrom are all better prospects than Newhook. I think their games will translate better in the NHL adding to the fact that Broberg and Podz are both 6 months younger.

This isnt some hot take though, im sure most had those players higher than Newhook in their pre-draft rankings, Newhook's NCAA season and the others' professional season shouldnt change those refelctions.

I think 6 months in age is really negligible especially considering that development is not linear. I'm not debating which prospect or league is better, but just pointing out that, that's a hard point to use even if it's just used to support your main argument.

I think a lot of Newhook's hype is stemming from how players who were drafted earlier in the draft namely Turcotte, Zegras and Boldy have done in comparison to Newhook from purely a statistical stand point. To go along with this he's gone from dominating weaker competition in the BCHL to dominating significantly stronger competition in the NCAA. Looking at the tear he's on where he's put up 39 points in 26 games it's a lot easier to get excited about even if he's playing in a weaker league than Pod, Broberg and Soderstrom. I personally don't know if you can really quantify the success of prospects in other leagues and how they will project to be better or worse, but you can more easily do it in the NCAA, which is where speculation of him jumping to a top 10 spot comes into play. There's an argument to be made that he's been better than Turcotte, Boldy, Caufield, York, Knight and even Zegras. There's points and counter points to be made regarding quality of teammates and such, but I believe that is where a lot of people are getting their opinions.

Personally I believe it's way to early to start talking about where said players should or shouldn't have gone, but I am super excited about Newhook as a prospect.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wasnt even talking about Podz by himself, i was also talking about Broberg and Soderstorm. Or wait do you think im biased with those prospects as well even though their with division rivals?

But yes, i think at this point Podz Broberg and Soderstrom are all better prospects than Newhook. I think their games will translate better in the NHL adding to the fact that Broberg and Podz are both 6 months younger.

This isnt some hot take though, im sure most had those players higher than Newhook in their pre-draft rankings, Newhook's NCAA season and the others' professional season shouldnt change those refelctions.

For the bolded.... Think again. Like I said, you're clearly way outside your element when it comes to talking about prospects.

Robinson: Final 2019 NHL Draft Rankings

Newhook 6th. Podkolzin 8th. Caufield 12th. Seider 13th. Soderstrom 14th. Broberg 19th.

Craig’s List: Final Rankings - TSN.ca

Caufield 4th. Broberg 7th. Podkolzin 9th. Newhook 18th. Soderstrom 25th. Seider 26th.

Pronman's 2019 NHL Draft Board: Top 107 prospects

Caufield 5th. Broberg 9th. Newhook 11th. Podkolzin 12th. Seider 22nd. Soderstrom 27th.

2019 NHL Draft: Ranking the top 120 prospects - TheHockeyNews

Podkolzin 7th. Caufield 9th. Broberg 10th. Newhook 13th. Soderstrom 14th. Seider 15th.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-draft-rankings-final-edition/

Caufield 6th. Podkolzin 9th. Soderstrom 13th. Newhook 15th. Broberg 16th. Seider 29th.

The point being... Just because those guys were selected ahead of Newhook in the draft most certainly does not mean they were the better prospects then or now. Beyond the first ~5 picks of the draft it was pretty much completely wide open. Newhook was as high as 6th one one list and as low as 18th on another.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospects-ranking/

Here's a list of the Top 100 prospects currently drafted in the NHL. Done back in January before Newhook had even broken out in the significant way that he has. He was 23rd on this list at the time, ahead of Soderstrom and just behind Broberg and Podkolzin but in the same tier.

https://thehockeywriters.com/ncaa-hockey-five-standout-freshmen-2019-20/

And another article from the same writers talking about how Newhook was without a doubt the best College freshman in hockey this year. Again, they had him ranked 23rd on the Top 100 list before he even broke out to be the best freshman in college. Without question he would have risen quite a bit since then.

Just because those guys are playing in superior leagues(Which again, nobody ever argued otherwise) doesn't mean they're automatically better prospects or having better years. Newhook right now has a chance to hit 50+ points as a freshman in college hockey. The only other true freshman to do so recently have been Brock Boeser and Jack Eichel both of which are star players in the league.

Even the 40 points he's already hit puts him in exclusive company. His almost 1.3 PPG this year, compared to other College Freshman over the years can lend itself to being able to confidently suggest he will be a legit Top 6 forward at the NHL level in a few years. Very, very few college Freshman actually put up the kind of numbers he has put up.

WRC

Dec 15, 2019
the AHL is highly over-rated. There are too many teams now and talent has become watered down. Id say 25-30% of players in the AHL should be playing in the ECHL.

Id compare AHL probably same level as Czech League or Liga in Finland. However, the AHL is nowhere near as good as SHL or KHL.

Anyways, the thread is getting side-tracked. The league comparison was in response to a poster saying Newhook has surpassed players like Broberg, Podkolzin , Soderstorm.

When in reality those guys are doing very well in a waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy higher league

KHL>>SHL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NCAA.

Lets also not forget that someone like Podkolzin and Broberg are both only 18 and not turning 19 until the summer, while Newhook is already 19.
The biggest knock on Newhook prior to the draft was that he was unproven due to playing in the BCHL instead of the Q. He did this so he could play NCAA hockey (a league whose alumni comprise about one-third of the current NHL). He goes to arguably the toughest conference in college hockey as an 18 year old and tears it apart; a league exponentially better than the CHL. He is possibly having the best rookie season in Hockey East since Eichel, but he's still unproven? Now this league is also too weak for his showing to be credible? Pierce is right man, what are you doing here?

You are obviously feeling somewhat distraught about your team passing on this guy and are downplaying his production to make yourself feel better about your pick. Your guy will probably be fine, but don't hate on Newhook when you know the kid's a stud. The age argument is just absolutely laughable. Same year class, period.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in my view Newhook has not surpassed Podz, Broberg, or Soderstrom as a prospect. He didn't need to. I had him above each of those guys prior to the draft and still do.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
The biggest knock on Newhook prior to the draft was that he was unproven due to playing in the BCHL instead of the Q. He did this so he could play NCAA hockey (a league whose alumni comprise about one-third of the current NHL). He goes to arguably the toughest conference in college hockey as an 18 year old and tears it apart; a league exponentially better than the CHL. He is possibly having the best rookie season in Hockey East since Eichel, but he's still unproven? Now this league is also too weak for his showing to be credible? Pierce is right man, what are you doing here?

You are obviously feeling somewhat distraught about your team passing on this guy and are downplaying his production to make yourself feel better about your pick. Your guy will probably be fine, but don't hate on Newhook when you know the kid's a stud. The age argument is just absolutely laughable. Same year class, period.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in my view Newhook has not surpassed Podz, Broberg, or Soderstrom as a prospect. He didn't need to. I had him above each of those guys prior to the draft and still do.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

Curious as to why you say that Hockey East is "exponentially better" than the CHL?

WRC

Dec 15, 2019
He's playing against guys as old as 25. Not necessarily better future prospects than the CHL, but just bigger, stronger, and faster players right now. Much higher level of competition for a teenager.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yep. College hockey is a much higher skill league than the CHL.

The players are older, stronger, more physical... And the game is much more tight checking and structured. IMO it's not only a more skilled league but I think its becoming a better developmental league as well. Especially for the high talent players that spend 2-3 years or more in college before transitioning over. It really is an excellent league for teaching young kids how to play structured, sound hockey and how you need to play to have success in the NHL.

Which isn't to say the CHL is a bad league... It just has such a huge skill gap between the best and the weakest players in the league, and the game are fast paced and wide open often without a tonne of structure(Not always the case though) that I just think sometimes players let bad habits creep into there game that wont translate well to the NHL level when the skill gap and speed of the game really ramps up.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Avs fans, is there any indication he might sign this year or do you think he'll spend at least another year at BC?

There really hasn't been a ton that's come out about plans for next year. York made a comment a couple weeks ago at a presser when asked about "the freshmen coming back for next year" and he said they would be and then added, "well, that's what their moms are telling me at least" in a joking manner. The BC team is pretty much the opposite of the Wisconsin freshman who've pretty much let everyone know they all want to be one and done. The message has been consistently about this year, winning hockey east and trying to win a national championship. They've pretty much deflected every question about next year.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Avs fans, is there any indication he might sign this year or do you think he'll spend at least another year at BC?

would be great if he went back for a second season. Avs can afford to wait, Shane Bowers is due for a bottom 6 spot next year. I’m repeating myself and others in saying Tyson Jost’s one and done has been instructive and informs the feeling a sophomore campaign could really polish this gem correctly. Hopefully all that terrific BC freshman class stick around and keep building

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don’t see the Avs guaranteeing him a roster spot so can’t imagine he’s gonna risk possibly playing in the AHL. Seems like everyone thinks another year but we also don’t have reporters who ask Sakic these types of questions.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs wanted Makar after his freshman season, they tend to want to be in charge of their prospects. Makar, himself wanted to stay another year even though he definitely got a contract from Sakic after his freshman season finished. Even though they're not the same player, HFAvs is terrorised by nightmares from signing Tyson Jost too early where a lot of posters hope that Newhook stays another year. Considering the numbers he's putting up and what Avs FO does, they will do all they can to try and sign him after this season. It will probably fall on Alex to see what he ultimately wants to do because good chance he will probably start next season in the AHL.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What a great year Alex had at BC. I think another year in college would be best for him. Ultimately, the ''inconsistencies'' in his play scared me off of him during his draft year. There will be an interesting lesson for me to learn either way from watching his career unfold.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Yep. College hockey is a much higher skill league than the CHL.

The players are older, stronger, more physical... And the game is much more tight checking and structured. IMO it's not only a more skilled league but I think its becoming a better developmental league as well. Especially for the high talent players that spend 2-3 years or more in college before transitioning over. It really is an excellent league for teaching young kids how to play structured, sound hockey and how you need to play to have success in the NHL.

Which isn't to say the CHL is a bad league... It just has such a huge skill gap between the best and the weakest players in the league, and the game are fast paced and wide open often without a tonne of structure(Not always the case though) that I just think sometimes players let bad habits creep into there game that wont translate well to the NHL level when the skill gap and speed of the game really ramps up.

I don't believe that the NCAA is a more highly skilled league than the CHL. In a sense it may be on a team level because as you say the players are older, more physically mature and have played the game longer. Based on individual talent and future potential it is higher in the CHL but at a younger age level. It is debatable whether more structure helps or inhibits individual skills when developing as a player at a younger age. The NCAA is fulfilling a function that minor pro leagues have historically filled, the AHL, the Central Pro league etc. I certainly don't disagree that Newhook has been tremendous and certainly deserved a shout out for his season.

Anyway just one man's opinion. Stay safe.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yep!

Big news for BC. They're going to be a lot of fun to watch next year with Newhook, Boldy, and Knight as sophomores. They're losing some top players (Julius Mattila, David Cotton, Ben Finkelstein), but they still have a lot of talent left.

Nice, good decision all around. Should have a big role for Canada at the WJC too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad