C Aatu Räty - Abbotsford, AHL (2021, 52nd, NYI, traded to VAN) - PART 2

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Raty’s skating will hold back his ceiling. His IQ will make up for that. Think he’ll be a top-end 3rd liner/low-end 2nd liner. His shot is sneaky good.
He also has a great understanding of the defensive side. That’s the hardest part for a young forward and Raty has always had defensive prowess

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Him and Podkolzin has been pretty consistently good and unspectacular down in Abbotsford. Hopefully getting out of their scoring funks.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
There's zero top-6 upside there but he's a responsible player who manages the puck well and eventually he'll probably be a boring, useful big bottom-6 body.
Having watched quite a few games of his this season, I tend to agree. He'll need to get faster if he's going to be a regular top 6 guy. But even if he doesn't, I like his skillset as a bottom six contributor. He's not a defensive ace, but he's solid positionally, cuts off/disrupts passes, and is big enough to rub guys out on the boards. His shot is high level and deceptive enough to be a solid finisher. Definitely see special teams, both PP and PK, potential for him. It's the kind of skillset that leads to a long NHL career.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Having watched quite a few games of his this season, I tend to agree. He'll need to get faster if he's going to be a regular top 6 guy. But even if he doesn't, I like his skillset as a bottom six contributor. He's not a defensive ace, but he's solid positionally, cuts off/disrupts passes, and is big enough to rub guys out on the boards. His shot is high level and deceptive enough to be a solid finisher. Definitely see special teams, both PP and PK, potential for him. It's the kind of skillset that leads to a long NHL career.

As a Canuck fan I'd love it if he had 2nd line upside but I just don't see it.

Even with improved skating he isn't quick enough or dynamic enough to project into offensive minutes in the NHL. Might have some PP2 utility to give his production a bit more oomph but to me he's a pretty clear projection into a 25-point bottom-6 C if he makes it.

Reactions: Vector

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Raty’s skating will hold back his ceiling. His IQ will make up for that. Think he’ll be a top-end 3rd liner/low-end 2nd liner. His shot is sneaky good.
His skating has gotten noticably better. Ironically a similar path Horvat traveled. He's never gonna be speedster or graceful but the rest of his game is really impressive that even just average skating with his skills has raised his floor.

It's actually pretty crazy that despite his skating issues he still was pegged as a 1st overall candidate at 16.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
As a Canuck fan I'd love it if he had 2nd line upside but I just don't see it.

Even with improved skating he isn't quick enough or dynamic enough to project into offensive minutes in the NHL. Might have some PP2 utility to give his production a bit more oomph but to me he's a pretty clear projection into a 25-point bottom-6 C if he makes it.
I'm not the type who goes gaga over prospects but I've been on a roll since 2014 and I often got snide remarks especially when I said in the 2017 and 2018 draft threads that EP and Quinn should go 1st overall so I said in the OEL rumour that Silovs, Hogz and Podz would all become High -end players and I stick by that.
If I'm wrong about Raty I'll take my lumps but my gut tells me he becomes along with Podz top 6 players that will become a big part of our core. Lekkerimaki won't I don't see his game working on the small ice and if we go after Guentzel I pray he's the one who gets moved.

Edit sorry thought this was our nucks Raty prospect page.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
The Canucks need cost controlled bottom 6 contributors. They can probably only keep 2 of Lafferty, Blueger, and Joshua, maybe Raty can help fill that void or at least push Aman out of the lineup.
Of the three Joshua followed by Blueger then Lafferty but I think we move on from all three and replace them internally and are happy for it.
Someone's gonna throw top six money at Joshua and regret it, Lafferty was a nice find but his game has fallen off a cliff and Blueger who I love I'd be happy to keep but only for cheap.
Podz can be a better Joshua and will thrive under Tochett, Raty has always had the defensive chops and his offense is blossoming right in front of our eyes, Linus should already be here over Amann and should be able to replace Lafferty.

Don't get me wrong that 3rd line is awesome but we lived through 7 years of overpaying our bottom six and every ELC in the bottom six, allows us to add defence and top six wingers. Mikheyev is another guy that for 4 million might find his way out the door. Garland absolutely is worth every penny.
I know how crazy this sounds replacing our entire bottom six from Abby but based on how they have them running the same system and how JR talks about the plan with them down there and sticking to it and given the positive steps the kids have had this year I could easily see all 3 with the team next year.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
His skating has gotten noticably better. Ironically a similar path Horvat traveled. He's never gonna be speedster or graceful but the rest of his game is really impressive that even just average skating with his skills has raised his floor.

It's actually pretty crazy that despite his skating issues he still was pegged as a 1st overall candidate at 16.

He reads the play exceptionally well, is always a step ahead. Knows where to be and anticipates very well. This alone will make him a useful NHL'er. As noted, it also enables him to be savvy on the defensive side.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
18 goals, 51 points now.
- wheres the call up...
I think dominating down there is the right call despite the temptation.
I know you hate Podz but he's been playing very well in his defined role and Tochett has clearly warmed up to him as he's being deployed in important parts of the game and if you watch him objectively you can see the IQ and talent that he has as well as his strong physical 2way play.
Development isn't linear and PF almost always take longer.

As for Raty, it surprises me how many people aren't aware of how talented this kid is considering the hype around him. The only real question (his skating is much improved but other than that the kid is a stud and I'm so glad our fanbase doesn't control who we trade. The fact the Horvat deal hinged entirely on him being included and Alvin's body of work so far, people shouldn't be surprised.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I think dominating down there is the right call despite the temptation.
I know you hate Podz but he's been playing very well in his defined role and Tochett has clearly warmed up to him as he's being deployed in important parts of the game and if you watch him objectively you can see the IQ and talent that he has as well as his strong physical 2way play.
Development isn't linear and PF almost always take longer.

As for Raty, it surprises me how many people aren't aware of how talented this kid is considering the hype around him. The only real question (his skating is much improved but other than that the kid is a stud and I'm so glad our fanbase doesn't control who we trade. The fact the Horvat deal hinged entirely on him being included and Alvin's body of work so far, people shouldn't be surprised.
I don't hate Podz, i have never said i hated him, never going to, simply because i don't hate him,
i just doesn't see what ever some are seeing (including Canucks head coach) in his game.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Raty is a great prospect. Ive been to about 8 Abbotsford games so far this season. He wont ever wow you with agility skating or crazy puck handling skills but he is very very smart positionally and plays a mature 2 way game. His one-timer and wrister are very much NHL caliber already.

I cant pinpoint a comparison player in the NHL, but someone vanilla, that produces, very smart and a coach's dream because of responsible 2 way play.

Raty has been on fire : 14 pts in his last 7 games

I dont know if he will be called up before the regular season ends, i believe the Canucks only have 1-2 call ups left.

However, I think he would be a solid upgrde on Aman, Bains and maybe even PDG on the bottom 6.

Developmemt wise though, i dont know if thats the smart move , to call him up and have him play 5 minutes a night rather than keep him in Abby fo rthe playoff push and playoffs while being the guy and playing close to 20 min a night in all situations.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Maybe a prime Mikko Koivu? 60-70pt 2-way center with good size and average skating.

That would probably be his home-run comparison for sure.

I was thinking a player like Chris Higgins who ironically is the skills and development coach with the Canucks.

Reactions: Hntz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad