C Aatu Räty - Abbotsford, AHL (2021, 52nd, NYI, traded to VAN) - PART 2

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
What do Canucks fans think about Räty? Future NHL player or no? How bad does his skating look?

Scored about 0.5 points per game in AHL this season which is OK but I'm a bit disappointed in that production.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
What do Canucks fans think about Räty? Future NHL player or no? How bad does his skating look?

Scored about 0.5 points per game in AHL this season which is OK but I'm a bit disappointed in that production.
What more do you expect from a 20 year old rookie in the AHL. He was playing on the 3rd line in Abbotsford, his offensive game and defensive game have been good, he’s just really slow. It stands out even at the ahl level. If he works on his skating he definitely will be a 3C

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I haven't been able to catch a lot of Abbotsford games, but the general consensus seems to be that he'll be an NHLer, but his upside will be heavily dependent on whether they can sort out his skating. Vancouver has a very good skating consultant though, so I am hopeful. i think 2/3rd line tweener is probably his ceiling.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
What more do you expect from a 20 year old rookie in the AHL. He was playing on the 3rd line in Abbotsford, his offensive game and defensive game have been good, he’s just really slow. It stands out even at the ahl level. If he works on his skating he definitely will be a 3C
He scored 40 points in 41 games in Liiga.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
He scored 40 points in 41 games in Liiga.
The AHL is a much tougher league than Liiga.

For example the top scorer in Liiga this year was relegated to the ECHL in his last year in North America in 2020-2021. The year prior he was 0.5ppg in the AHL. In his 2 years in Liiga he has basically been ppg

Reactions: Jukurit

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014

For example the top scorer in Liiga this year was relegated to the ECHL in his last year in North America in 2020-2021. The year prior he was 0.5ppg in the AHL. In his 2 years in Liiga he has basically been ppg
Lol while I definitely agree with you (AHL > Liiga), I can't help but question whether Michael Joly is a fair comparable/indicator of league quality. As a counter point, my immediate thought went to 2015/16, Sebastian Aho was entering his D+1 year while playing in Liiga, and he scored 45 points in 45 games. Very comparable to Raty's situation (his ~1 PPG season was D+1 year too). Unfortunately the comparison ends there as Aho transitioned to the NHL in the following year (D+2), where he scored 49 points in 82 games as a rookie in Carolina. To me that's super impressive and paints Liiga in a different (better) perspective than your comparison.

I'd say the truth is somewhere in the middle about the quality of Liiga... but regardless, we can agree on AHL being more difficult than Liiga :thumbu:

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Mostly likely an NHL player. But what role that will be in is still a question mark. At worst he would be a 3rd line PKing Winger and the best case scenario is a 2nd line PK match up C. I think the next 2 years will be massive for projecting him. I would expect him to be around 50 points in the AHL next season while getting matchup and PK 1 Minutes. I dont think he will see a lot of icetime in Vancouver as Allvin and Rutherford love to slow bake players and Raty is probably one of the most important prospects in the system for the future success fo the team. Him becoming a 2C will greatly improve this teams chances of being a Contender down the road

Reactions: Jukurit

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Lol while I definitely agree with you (AHL > Liiga), I can't help but question whether Michael Joly is a fair comparable/indicator of league quality. As a counter point, my immediate thought went to 2015/16, Sebastian Aho was entering his D+1 year while playing in Liiga, and he scored 45 points in 45 games. Very comparable to Raty's situation (his ~1 PPG season was D+1 year too). Unfortunately the comparison ends there as Aho transitioned to the NHL in the following year (D+2), where he scored 49 points in 82 games as a rookie in Carolina. To me that's super impressive and paints Liiga in a different (better) perspective than your comparison.

I'd say the truth is somewhere in the middle about the quality of Liiga... but regardless, we can agree on AHL being more difficult than Liiga :thumbu:
I agree 1 comparison isnt the best indicator but it gives you a decent idea of the level of the league when its their top scorer. Using u20 players is probably the worst way to indicate the strength of a pro league. Those players are only playing there because they are not NHL eligible or not NHL ready and would rather play in their home country than the AHL. Those players are also in their most crucial developmental years. Its why a Tim Stutzle could be a .8ppg player in DEL in his draft year and then be a .5ppg in the NHL in his d+1, or a Lucas Raymond can be a 0.5ppg in the SHL in his d+1 but be a 0.7ppg in the NHL in his d+2.

Using U20 players to signify strength of a league would make Liiga look even worse as the CHL has quantity and quality of players over Liiga that go from CHL to NHL in their d+1- d+3. Obviously the Liiga is a better league than the entire CHL.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

He got off to a slow start after the trade, but has looked better and better as time has gone on. I think he is an NHL player with decent upside. I think another year in the AHL will serve him well, the Canucks have done a really nice job in developing some of the young guys down in Abby this year.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
I feel like he went from fairly hyped prospect to just another mid tier guy when he was traded, was kinda of a negative trade for him personally as he had to start over again in a team that is not as invested in him

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I feel like he went from fairly hyped prospect to just another mid tier guy when he was traded, was kinda of a negative trade for him personally as he had to start over again in a team that is not as invested in him
He was the centerpiece of a trade that saw Vancouver move their captain, I assure you they are very invested in him

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Lot of players from European ”lesser” leagues jump into AHL and start dominating

Rantanen scored 28 points in 56 game in Liiga and comes to AHL and puts up 60 points in 52 games.

Pasta scored 24 points in 36 games in Swedens secondary league and then puts up 28 points in 25 games in the AHL

Jiricek put up 11 points in 29 games in Cze league and then follows it up with 38 points in 55 games in the AHL

Eklund put up 14 points in 29 games in the SHL and put up 41 points in 54 games in the AHL

Last edited:

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Lot of players from European ”lesser” leagues jump into AHL and start dominating

Rantanen scored 28 points in 56 game in Liiga and comes to AHL and puts up 60 points in 52 games.

Pasta scored 24 points in 36 games in Swedens secondary league and then puts up 28 points in 25 games in the AHL

Jiricek put up 11 points in 29 games in Cze league and then follows it up with 38 points in 55 games in the AHL

Eklund put up 14 points in 29 games in the SHL and put up 41 points in 54 games in the AHL
Matias Maccelli scored 39 points in 51 games in Liiga and then 57 points in 47 games in AHL.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

If that were true, why are all your examples U20 players? Every example you gave was a high end prospect under 20 years old. If these leagues really had a lot of players that do this, why is it so rare to the point you weren't even able to have 1 example that fails both criteria of either being U20 or a high end prospect? As i said in a prior post, you cant judge a pro league based off the U20 players it has as most are only there for only a few reasons:

1. They have not been drafted and would rather play in their home country vs another country's mens or junior league
2. They have been drafted and would rather play in their home country vs the AHL.

Any U20 player playing outside the NHL is only playing there for 1 of 3 reasons:
1. Not good enough for NHL not eligible for AHL
2. Not good enough for NHL doesn't want to play for AHL
3. Not good enough for NHL or AHL

Why would pro men's leagues give these players the role and ice time to develop unless they were head and shoulders better than others? The only objective for these teams is to win. They dont care about developing players especially players that they know wont be there for more than 3 years tops. The AHL however, most teams are owned by NHL teams. When they have a high end prospect, they will put them in favourable positions to succeed and develop in favour of winning.

This player pool is a piss poor way to evaluate a pro league's talent pool unless it is a junior or amateur league.. Unless you think the OHL/WHL/QMJHL are better than every league outside the NHL since they produce guys like McDavid/Crosby/Bedard etc? Obviously they are not better than any pro men's league. They just have a few players that are too good for the league that arent eligible/ready for a higher level OR dont want to leave their home country to go play in a higher level.

If you look at the average, a mediocre 23-30 year old AHL player, will be amongst the better Liiga players. When any 20+ elite Liiga player with a shred of NHL hope comes to the AHL, they tend to be mediocre AHL players. Its extremely rare for any exception to this unless its a U20 high end prospect just like the ones you pointed out.

Last edited:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
i would be shocked if management hasnt already penciled him as their future 3C. Horvat wouldnt have went to long island if Raty wasnt involved.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Usually young promising Liiga players score at much higher pace in AHL. Liiga is very defensive minded. Kemell in Liiga had 45games and 15points. In AHL he has 14games and 13 points. Raty's points are definitely disappointing.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Matias Maccelli scored 39 points in 51 games in Liiga and then 57 points in 47 games in AHL.
Roope Hintz scored 30 points in 44 games in Liiga and then 35 points in 70 games in AHL.

Look, man, it's not as simple as just pulling some random stat sheet, you'll always find something to support either argument. Stuff's more convoluted than "this league is better than that".

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Plenty of AHL stars have come to Liiga and been absolute flops.
Martin St.Pierre, Corey Locke etc. Never forget.

Reactions: mattihp

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Räty is fine. Playing his first AHL season and atleast in Bridgeport he was a 3rd line center. You are not going to score a lot from there. I don't know what his role has been in the new team.

It's obvious that he needs to improve his skating. Räty already has good hockey IQ and NHL shot. Just needs some time to get adjusted.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If that were true, why are all your examples U20 players? Every example you gave was a high end prospect under 20 years old. If these leagues really had a lot of players that do this, why is it so rare to the point you weren't even able to have 1 example that fails both criteria of either being U20 or a high end prospect? As i said in a prior post, you cant judge a pro league based off the U20 players it has as most are only there for only a few reasons:

1. They have not been drafted and would rather play in their home country vs another country's mens or junior league
2. They have been drafted and would rather play in their home country vs the AHL.

Any U20 player playing outside the NHL is only playing there for 1 of 3 reasons:
1. Not good enough for NHL not eligible for AHL
2. Not good enough for NHL doesn't want to play for AHL
3. Not good enough for NHL or AHL

Why would pro men's leagues give these players the role and ice time to develop unless they were head and shoulders better than others? The only objective for these teams is to win. They dont care about developing players especially players that they know wont be there for more than 3 years tops. The AHL however, most teams are owned by NHL teams. When they have a high end prospect, they will put them in favourable positions to succeed and develop in favour of winning.

This player pool is a piss poor way to evaluate a pro league's talent pool unless it is a junior or amateur league.. Unless you think the OHL/WHL/QMJHL are better than every league outside the NHL since they produce guys like McDavid/Crosby/Bedard etc? Obviously they are not better than any pro men's league. They just have a few players that are too good for the league that arent eligible/ready for a higher level OR dont want to leave their home country to go play in a higher level.

If you look at the average, a mediocre 23-30 year old AHL player, will be amongst the better Liiga players. When any 20+ elite Liiga player with a shred of NHL hope comes to the AHL, they tend to be mediocre AHL players. Its extremely rare for any exception to this unless its a U20 high end prospect just like the ones you pointed out.

Raty was seen as one?

Roope Hintz scored 30 points in 44 games in Liiga and then 35 points in 70 games in AHL.

Look, man, it's not as simple as just pulling some random stat sheet, you'll always find something to support either argument. Stuff's more convoluted than "this league is better than that".

It’s just to point out that more often than not top prospects from ”inferior” leagues start producing the moment they step into the AHL.
& often at better rate than in their inferior leagues.

Hintz was a late bloomer, no one expected him to become a legit ppg 1C

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It's obvious that he needs to improve his skating. Räty already has good hockey IQ and NHL shot. Just needs some time to get adjusted.

I don't see a shutdown defensive player in Raty, and I think turning him into one would squanders his strengths, which is winning battles, protecting the puck, and making a play. I think part of that adjustment should include a move to the wing.

Reactions: mattihp

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think we will have a better idea next year where he is at. The Abbotsford farm team has been one of the few bright spots for the Canucks as we are seeing more and more players turn things around and come up to the big club and play well. The GM mentioned that they are going to work hard with a few of the young guys like Raty on their skating this summer. I’m excited to see how he does as he’s already got some solid nhl skills but needs to be faster.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Been lots to Abby games,

- He was intially Centering a pure defensive line that featured Gatcomb and Wouters and even Areseaneu at times. Looked like they were trying to get him acclimated to the system.

- More recently , he is now centering a more offensive line that features a sniper like Klimovich on it.

Skating is average, NHL level but it will determine whether he is a 3C or a 2C imo. If he improves this, then we can be looking at a very very good prospect.

Super smart, great vision, and defensively reliable.

Plays like this at 20 yrs old is why you can easily see that he will be an NHLer.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Been lots to Abby games,

- He was intially Centering a pure defensive line that featured Gatcomb and Wouters and even Areseaneu at times. Looked like they were trying to get him acclimated to the system.

- More recently , he is now centering a more offensive line that features a sniper like Klimovich on it.

Skating is average, NHL level but it will determine whether he is a 3C or a 2C imo. If he improves this, then we can be looking at a very very good prospect.

Super smart, great vision, and defensively reliable.

Plays like this at 20 yrs old is why you can easily see that he will be an NHLer.

Does Räty still pass the puck even when he's in a good shooting position? That annoyed me when he was still playing in Liiga. He has a good wrist shot but for some reason doesn't seem to like using it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad