C Aatu Räty - Abbotsford, AHL (2021, 52nd, NYI, traded to VAN) - PART 2

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Raty was seen as one?

It’s just to point out that more often than not top prospects from ”inferior” leagues start producing the moment they step into the AHL.
& often at better rate than in their inferior leagues.

Hintz was a late bloomer, no one expected him to become a legit ppg 1C
Legit question did you even read the original discussion or half of what i even posted? If you did then you wouldn't be using now Raty as an example to show not all U20 players do good. My entire point has been against using U20 players altogether to compare leagues. That means whether they do better or worse once they come over to North America. Also no where did I say all high end prospects come over and do good so idk why you've now shifted to that arguement.

As for Hintz, how can Raty be considered high end in your books but Hintz wasnt a high end prospect? Just because at one point years prior to the draft he was touted as a potential 1st oveall candidate? They were both drafted around the same spot of #49 for Hintz vs #52 for Raty. Using the U20 NHL prospects as proof of the strength of the league is a joke. Their U20 NHL prospects make up maybe 5% of the entire league in any given year.

Once again you're unable to give a single example of a non U20 player that went from Liiga to the NHL or AHL and did better. Perhaps its because I am right when I said its extremely rare for a Liiga player to come over and be as good in the AHL compared to even a mediocre AHL player going to Liiga and doing better than they did in the AHL.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Does Räty still pass the puck even when he's in a good shooting position? That annoyed me when he was still playing in Liiga. He has a good wrist shot but for some reason doesn't seem to like using it.

He has definitely been a pass first player from what I've seen. He hasnt had alot of opportunity for snipes. He is always around the net looking for deflections and loose pucks. In transition he is defensively minded and or looks for the snipers on his line.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I don't see a shutdown defensive player in Raty, and I think turning him into one would squanders his strengths, which is winning battles, protecting the puck, and making a play. I think part of that adjustment should include a move to the wing.
I think Granlund was robbed of 10-15 points per season by the Wild making him a utility player. Would hate to see the same happen with Räty.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Watched every game he played for both Abbotsford and Vancouver.

His skating is bad, full stop. But he's a diligent two-way player who is sound positionally for his age, and does have a bit of playmaking ability and a decent shot. Could stand to have a bit more bite to his game physically.

There was hype from Canuck fans when the trade was made that he's a future #2C but to me he's pretty clearly tracking to be a big, responsible, low-event bottom-6 C. If he improves his skating he can probably be a good 30-35 point 3C.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Seems like he is stuck behind Karlsson not to mention the other forwards in the Canucks' system. Any chance of him moving up the depth chart?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Raty weirdly started the year on the 4th line in Abbotsford for the first several games with no PP time. It's a deep roster and his linemates at that point (Stevens/Wouters) weren't really 4th liners either but it was still odd.

Then the team had a bunch of injuries and he was moved up the roster and has started producing more since being in more appropriate icetime. Still very little PP time and all 10 points are at ES.

He'll probably be an NHLer but I'll be pretty surprised if he's a 2C. He's a big, slow, low-event body who projects as a bottom-6 C. Even when he's putting up points in the AHL as he has been recently, there is nothing dynamic at all about his game.

Reactions: wetcoast and Eegs

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Seems like he is stuck behind Karlsson not to mention the other forwards in the Canucks' system. Any chance of him moving up the depth chart?
It's pretty much up to Raty at this point. Because he seems to process the game really well, If he can find a way to play smart enough, combined with a dogged defensive game, I could see him carving out a Jay Beagle-like career. If he can gain half a step in his skating - which is difficult at this stage, but still possible - he could potentially develop into even more.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
And defensively sound. Smart, big, skilled and competitive. For sure an NHL 3C. Could even grow into a 2C.

He has been playing Wing for Abby over the last 4-6 weeks.

Ironically, thats when his hot streak started when he got moved to wing. When he was at C you can tell all he was focusing on was the defensive side of the game. At wing, he is more free to entertain his offensive skills.

Skating has improved, would love for it to get even better.

ICE-Q , Shot and playmaking are NHL level for sure.

The Canucks imo are making an emphasis on marinating the kids in the AHL. Their depth chart of call up has nothing to do with who is playing the best in the AHL, if it did, Bains would be the first call up.

However I believe they want Bains, Podkolzin, Raty, Sasson etc to really get playing time and development in the AHL....older guys like Karlsson, Dries , Aman will be called up first.

Reactions: Fatass

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Raty weirdly started the year on the 4th line in Abbotsford for the first several games with no PP time. It's a deep roster and his linemates at that point (Stevens/Wouters) weren't really 4th liners either but it was still odd.

Then the team had a bunch of injuries and he was moved up the roster and has started producing more since being in more appropriate icetime. Still very little PP time and all 10 points are at ES.

He'll probably be an NHLer but I'll be pretty surprised if he's a 2C. He's a big, slow, low-event body who projects as a bottom-6 C. Even when he's putting up points in the AHL as he has been recently, there is nothing dynamic at all about his game.

While I agree he is not particularly dynamic I am more optimistic of his potential in general.

I've found him to be a high level thinker of the game and it really shows in his defensive details and his passing game. He is adept at attacking the center in the offensive zone and he does so with vision for his teammates.

He won't open plays up with dynamic skating but I see a lot of deft turns, that allow him to slip the puck into a dangerous spot. It would take development without a doubt but I just wouldn't be surprised to see him end up a 50+pt 2C.

Reactions: Grantham

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
While I agree he is not particularly dynamic I am more optimistic of his potential in general.

I've found him to be a high level thinker of the game and it really shows in his defensive details and his passing game. He is adept at attacking the center in the offensive zone and he does so with vision for his teammates.

He won't open plays up with dynamic skating but I see a lot of deft turns, that allow him to slip the puck into a dangerous spot. It would take development without a doubt but I just wouldn't be surprised to see him end up a 50+pt 2C.
Can teach a lot. Can’t teach size and thinking. Raty has size and thinks the game good. Those guys tend to become good NHLers.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
He's three years younger than Karlsson with a far more projectable game. He'll have every chance to take his ice time.

Didn't mean that as a knock on Raty. Am a big fan of his since his junior days. Just seems that the Canucks have done a nice job of adding young forwards who are producing either in the NHL or with Abbotsford.

He has been playing Wing for Abby over the last 4-6 weeks.

Ironically, thats when his hot streak started when he got moved to wing. When he was at C you can tell all he was focusing on was the defensive side of the game. At wing, he is more free to entertain his offensive skills.

Skating has improved, would love for it to get even better.

ICE-Q , Shot and playmaking are NHL level for sure.

The Canucks imo are making an emphasis on marinating the kids in the AHL. Their depth chart of call up has nothing to do with who is playing the best in the AHL, if it did, Bains would be the first call up.

However I believe they want Bains, Podkolzin, Raty, Sasson etc to really get playing time and development in the AHL....older guys like Karlsson, Dries , Aman will be called up first.

Nice.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
He is a NHL player. His defensive play has been great, so the points at ES aren't cheap ones. He was hyped too much as teenager, however as a late 2nd round pick he is tracking well.
He is tracking like a late first. While he was not meant as the prize of the Horvat trade, a defensive center with his IQ and toolbox is only beneficial down the line. He is a surefire bottom six center. His skating will determine if he can shoulder spot duty on the top 6.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad