C Aatu Räty - Abbotsford, AHL (2021, 52nd, NYI, traded to VAN) - PART 2

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
First thread was over 1000 posts.

Kid has had an up and down career to this point but appears to be on his way back up after the move to Jukurit. Sucks that he had COVID issues that are going to have him miss the WJC. Looks to be a SOLID 2nd round pick currently.

upload_2021-12-26_12-13-24.png

cut.jpg

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thank God he's on the upswing because the Isles definitely needed a "hit" in the 2nd round. Really looking forward to seeing him at camp next year.

The Isles were in desperate need for a premium center prospect, it was the biggest need in the organization. It would be a big win if he can develop into a solid #2C to eventually replace Nelson.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I definitely think its insane how he fell to the 2nd round. he clearly is a good talent but that far just because of a poor season is absurd. in reality he needed to get out of Karpat and he's found himself on Jukerit by the look of things. For isles fans? This could be a player who takes the throne of 2nd line from Nelson soon, and I love that. Someone also mentioned how close Raty is to his coach, Jokkinen.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The Isles were in desperate need for a premium center prospect, it was the biggest need in the organization. It would be a big win if he can develop into a solid #2C to eventually replace Nelson.
now watch us end up drafting Lambert as well because of our scouting with Vellu Kautonen, and how often this team has looked at Finland/Sweden the past few seasons. Raty falling to our laps is sick, and they also would've drafted Koivunen had Carolina just took Raty instead. Goes to show that this team still can do their homework at scouting, even after how poor some of their late rounds have been

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
1+1 with a game winner with 5 seconds before the end today.

Since joining Jukurit: 24 games 22 points and playing nearly 20 minutes per game while being over 50% on faceoffs. Aatu has no powerplay goals and he plays kinda of a weird role on the powerplay so his point totals could be ever higher

Olli Jokinen has done a unbelievable with this team, moved up to a 2nd place in the league already, when everybody thought they would finish last in the league.

8T6M.gif

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
now watch us end up drafting Lambert as well because of our scouting with Vellu Kautonen, and how often this team has looked at Finland/Sweden the past few seasons.

Isn't Lambert's uncle a coach for Isles? :huh::laugh:

Would think he knows even better how his nephew is :laugh:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Isn't Lambert's uncle a coach for Isles? :huh::laugh:

Would think he knows even better how his nephew is :laugh:
yes that too but thats obvious. Vellu has been around as the head scout since 2015, overtaking Klatt, and they've taken about more finns/swedes as of late. Lambert most likely is an obvious player than people can chalk up to the isles anyways, should miro be gone at whenever they pick. Imo i think Lambert and Raty on the same team would be hilarious, as people expected both to be top 3 picks or something, not winding up on THE ISLAND of all franchises

Since joining Jukurit: 24 games 22 points and playing nearly 20 minutes per game while being over 50% on faceoffs. Aatu has no powerplay goals and he plays kinda of a weird role on the powerplay so his point totals could be ever higher

Olli Jokinen has done a unbelievable with this team, moved up to a 2nd place in the league already, when everybody thought they would finish last in the league.

8T6M.gif
How the hell did Jukerit get that good though? and who was he even traded for anyways? I know it was a leafs prospect but has he done much for Karpats since that hot streak he had?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's that thing where you have great expectations for a player, but then when he's failing to meet them and you're disappointed about it you overcompensate by rating him lower than he deserved. So first there was talk about him as first overall - that of course didn't really end up being deserved, but it was overcompensation to only draft him with pick 52.

Now with a point per game in Liiga and very strong international performance you wonder if he could repeat what Anton Lundell has been able to this season. I don't think Räty's going to be quite at that level but it'll be interesting to see how he develops from here.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

8T6M.gif

the crazy thing is when he was traded Jokriut was considered a basement team and now they have passed Karpat in the standings.

Raty has been a huge part of that. As an isles fan im thrilled with his development this year. Trade to Jokriut was the best thing that happened to him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It's that thing where you have great expectations for a player, but then when he's failing to meet them and you're disappointed about it you overcompensate by rating him lower than he deserved. So first there was talk about him as first overall - that of course didn't really end up being deserved, but it was overcompensation to only draft him with pick 52.

Now with a point per game in Liiga and very strong international performance you wonder if he could repeat what Anton Lundell has been able to this season. I don't think Räty's going to be quite at that level but it'll be interesting to see how he develops from here.
One thing that stood out to me in training camp is Trotz incredible praise of Raty. It was out of character of Trotz to heap such praise on a teenage prospect. Said he was very impressive and his defensive game was years ahead.

Last edited:

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
the crazy thing is when he was traded Jokriut was considered a basement team and now they have passed Karpat in the standings.

Raty has been a huge part of that. As an isles fan im thrilled with his development this year. Trade to Jokriut was the best thing that happened to him.
*Jukurit* when i read Jokriut, i'm wondering that is it Jokerit or Jukurit

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere

I have been thinking this too, and I'm starting to feel he might be even better than Lundell, at least offensively.

Disclaimer: And I really like Lundell, already did when he played for Helsinki IFK. I have been nodding all season with this "yes, I knew he'd be good, but I almost thought he'd be even better" :D

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
I have been thinking this too, and I'm starting to feel he might be even better than Lundell, at least offensively.

Disclaimer: And I really like Lundell, already did when he played for Helsinki IFK. I have been nodding all season with this "yes, I knew he'd be good, but I almost thought he'd be even better" :D
i'm curious you watched both in Liiga to say this ?

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland

8T6M.gif
I remember how Alpo Suhonen was wondering that Jokinen was selected to the head coach without earlier head couching experience.

I don't have time to translate this so I used Google translate:

- A certain international player background is good, but he has hardly attended a single coaching course and has no experience in professional coaching. This raises the question of what a professional coach's appreciation is in Finland and what is the motive for choosing it.

- In terms of marketing, this is probably good as long as no games are played. I don’t know the background to see if there are other more experienced coaches on the team to help. I don’t know Olli, but from a professional coaching point of view, this is a questionable solution.

Maybe Alpo has changed his mind.

Valmentajalegenda hämillään NHL-konkari Olli Jokisen huhutusta palkkaamisesta Jukureihin: “Ehkä Mikkelissä on enemmän asiantuntemusta”

Reactions: Grantham

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
What a great draft pick. He was considered the possible number 1 pick 24 months before the draft then played very little hockey in that 24 months due to covid, injury and opportunity. Was shocked he dropped that far and was screaming for my team to somehow trade for a pick to grab him in second round. I think his floor is a solid 2nd line center who pmays at both ends if the ice. My comp for him is Braydon Point.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
2015 there was another center prospect from Kärpät who should've gone 1st round. Hopefully this turns out to be as good for the Isles than it was for the Canes :laugh:

Hard to imagine better place for Räty to develop right now. Jokinen was a teen prodigy who struggled a lot during his first seasons in the NHL, but was able to turn it around and became a solid #1 center.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
2015 there was another center prospect from Kärpät who should've gone 1st round. Hopefully this turns out to be as good for the Isles than it was for the Canes :laugh:

Hard to imagine better place for Räty to develop right now. Jokinen was a teen prodigy who struggled a lot during his first seasons in the NHL, but was able to turn it around and became a solid #1 center.
yeah haha i hope so too

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

I wouldn't call Jokinen a solid #1 center.

At one point, he was one of the best centers in the NHL
he had a star status in the NHL.

| Scored 321 career goals and about 800 points
with over 1000 penalty minutes. |

Had 3 x almost 40 goal seasons in a row
(38, 39, 35) with 89, 91 and 74 points, respectfully,
all for Florida Panthers, as their Captain.

Also, prior to the lockout season,
36, 28 goal seasons, with 65 points
and 58 points, respectfully, for
Florida Panthers, as a Captain.

When OJ played his prime years for the Panthers
it wasn't a play-offs caliber team and for some reason
they kept bringing in aging former NHL stars.

I guess they were desperately trying to sell tickets
by bringing in former stars, big names to the club.

Stumpel
Gelinas
Gratton
Salei
Roberts
Niewendyk
Bertuzzi
Belfour
Hill
Kozlov
Ozolins
Zednik