Value of: Bye bye Darnell, Hello OEL!!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
His contract says otherwise.

Local media have hinted at this not being 100% the case and that he'd be open to a move to the right situation.

I am currently in sweden working with people associated with swedish players. They keep saying OEL loves Arizona. The only way OEL will leave if they do a complete rebuild and that is possible if the owner imposes a strict internal cap

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I am currently in sweden working with people associated with swedish players. They keep saying OEL loves Arizona. The only way OEL will leave if they do a complete rebuild and that is possible if the owner imposes a strict internal cap

However much he might love it, it likely won't be up to him. OEL is due 54 mil over the next 7 years. Moving his contract would help them financially. Beyond that, they have cap issues and a lack of picks and prospects. Trading OEL could help them in a lot of ways.

93oilerfan93

Apr 2, 2018

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Did this trade work in your videogame?

The Coyotes want picks and prospects, and possibly younger replacement bodies. They sure as shit don't want an expiring RNH and Nurse with 1 more year, nor does anyone want to take that Neal contract. Grabner actually earns his money.

Who exactly is taking Ekman-Larsson's $54 million contract without sending money back?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
A 3 team trade between the Oilers, Coyotes and Devils makes too much sense.

The big picture should look like this... The Oilers would get OEL, the Coyotes would get Nurse/1st round pick/prospects and the Devils would get Nurse for a 1st round pick/prospects.

The Oilers get a legit #1 pairing dman, the Coyotes get a huge contract off their payroll and add multiple assets for their rebuild and the Devils get a much needed dman who can play the left side, isn’t soft like butter and fits their timeline.

It’s a trade where everyone wins IMO.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

So why don't you bring up Kessel on Twitter instead of here? Replying to arguments from a parallel discussion on a completely different platform doesn't add anything to this thread.

And if you know anything about JTS, his fingers don't get along with his keyboard at all, so "Kessel" could very well be his way of typing "Kassian". Or "McDavid", for that matter. We'll never know.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You’re hilarious man. This has been the most fun thread in a long time. Haha.

If you remove Neal and add Kassian, I’d do the deal. It’s basically Nurse, Kassian, 2021 1st and a prospect like Samorukov or Lavoie for OEL and Grabner? I’d probably do it. REALLY want that 1st to be the 2020 but I could probably live without it.
Just wondering, if Kassian is involved instead of Neal, why not just pull Kass/Neal and Grabner out? Is Grabner that much of a negative asset?

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
that beerleagueheros dude is an absolute fraud

has the most outlandish takes and the most fake rumors from fake sources
he's no better than a fan blog, infact, he is a fan blog

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This is bullshit. You can post an article and don't post your name, and provide a proposal in "quotes" yet you do not have to name a source of who provided this quote, how is this a thing to believe?
OEL isn't waving to go to Canada period. He might be willing to leave, but he has an NMC, he gets to decide where he is willing to go. He loves Scottsdale, but hasn't played well under RT. I think he veto's any trade and they wind up firing RT.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
However much he might love it, it likely won't be up to him. OEL is due 54 mil over the next 7 years. Moving his contract would help them financially. Beyond that, they have cap issues and a lack of picks and prospects. Trading OEL could help them in a lot of ways.
It will be completely up to OEL. He has a full NMC. If he loves Arizona he doesn’t have to do anything or go anywhere.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
OEL isn't waving to go to Canada period. He might be willing to leave, but he has an NMC, he gets to decide where he is willing to go. He loves Scottsdale, but hasn't played well under RT. I think he veto's any trade and they wind up firing RT.
I don't think he will veto any trade, if it comes to that.
Saying he is willing to be traded is his way of saying there must be changes made in the organization, from coaching staff and from roster changes, without calling anybody out. That's a very OEL thing to do.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It will be completely up to OEL. He has a full NMC. If he loves Arizona he doesn’t have to do anything or go anywhere.
That’s true. But the practical context is complicated and important. The team needs to get player payroll commitments down to under $71 million next season.

This is a fixed pie. There will be consequences to OEL refusing to waive his NMC that will have a very real impact on his experience as a Coyote from this point forward.

How much would he love living in Scottsdale if he’s the only guy on his team over 25 years of age, and the Coyotes get run over every night?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
That’s true. But the practical context is complicated and important. The team needs to get player payroll commitments down to under $71 million next season.

This is a fixed pie. There will be consequences to OEL refusing to waive his NMC that will have a very real impact on his experience as a Coyote from this point forward.

How much would he love living in Scottsdale if he’s the only guy on his team over 25 years of age, and the Coyotes get run over every night?
As I mentioned previously, OEL is obviously perfectly fine with playing on a losing team. He had a chance to test free agency and play elsewhere, but signed a new long-term contract after the 2018/19 season, complete with NMC. Maybe he was expecting the Yotes to finally turn a corner. More likely he likes the sun and anonymity.

Reactions: cobra427

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As I mentioned previously, OEL is obviously perfectly fine with playing on a losing team. He had a chance to test free agency and play elsewhere, but signed a new long-term contract after the 2018/19 season, complete with NMC. Maybe he was expecting the Yotes to finally turn a corner. More likely he likes the sun and anonymity.
Which explains why he spends as much of the off-season as possible in his hometown in Sweden?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Which explains why he spends as much of the off-season as possible in his hometown in Sweden?
Imagine I am a Swedish multi-millionaire and I spend the nice summers in Sweden with my extended family and old friends. That means I am willing to leave the place I work all winter, warm and sunny as it is, the place I just signed with and asked for a NMC with? He has every right to refuse to be traded and there is nothing Arizona can do about it. Are they going to make him load his own hockey gear on the bus and sit next to the crapper?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad