Value of: Bye bye Darnell, Hello OEL!!

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If it means we get a top 12 pick I think you consider retention. That being said there also needs to be an A prospect included. I think you let them protect Broberg but everyone else is fair game.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Jones can theoretically play RD so his versatility is important.
He'd be the anchor of our bottom pairing, but yes who knows what the future holds. I think Jones is our most underrated D. Samorukov is our most underrated prospect.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Stauffer is a radio guy he tweets a bit, but the majority of the stuff he says will never have a link. Stauffer is far from infallible if your standard is if he's wrong on one thing he has no credibility, then it's been gone for quite some time. As far as Oilers rumors go he's more connected than anyone else in the Edmonton media, but he's got to fill airtime so he bounces some crap against the wall from time to time, often off of nothing more than little tidbits of hearsay, the stuff with legs he circles back to a lot and he's talked about OEL a lot of recent.

Here's an article from Kurt Leavins: In times anything but normal might the Edmonton Oilers off-season not be either?: 9 Things | Edmonton Journal

"Arizona would also be keenly aware than in order to move their big LHS D-man it would have to both retain salary and probably take one on a contract, as well."

Leavins isn't typically known as a rumor guy in the Edmonton market, so we have 2 media guys saying there would be some retention on OEL and just me personally I wouldn't touch OEL without retention.
Stauffer has a certain way of stating real rumors though, and btw just because someone gets a rumor wrong doesn't mean it was wrong. Sometimes there is a lot of interest but in the end it just falls apart for whatever reason. Other times, he is just throwing his two cents on particular deals, and he doesn't present them as inside info. And btw, that Leavins bit is obviously not real info but just his opinion.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If it means we get a top 12 pick I think you consider retention. That being said there also needs to be an A prospect included. I think you let them protect Broberg but everyone else is fair game.

I don’t see how Arizona gets a top-12 pick out of this. Even if Edmonton includes a first, which I somewhat doubt, many think it would be next year’s because they have 14th in 2020.

I’m not sure who exactly you mean by “A” prospect, but it would seem extremely unlikely that Bouchard or Broberg would even be considered.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Stauffer has a certain way of stating real rumors though, and btw just because someone gets a rumor wrong doesn't mean it was wrong. Sometimes there is a lot of interest but in the end it just falls apart for whatever reason. Other times, he is just throwing his two cents on particular deals, and he doesn't present them as inside info. And btw, that Leavins bit is obviously not real info but just his opinion.

Most of the time when theres a rumour theres MULTIPLE rumours...for example OEL to Boston or Buffalo, EDM, or Pitt or whoever. Theres only one OEL...so he can only end up in one of those places....or none and stay put...!

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don’t see how Arizona gets a top-12 pick out of this. Even if Edmonton includes a first, which I somewhat doubt, many think it would be next year’s because they have 14th in 2020.

I’m not sure who exactly you mean by “A” prospect, but it would seem extremely unlikely that Bouchard or Broberg would even be considered.
Yep. The 12th is a big ask. That being said OEL is a top pairing D who by all accounts is willing to play in Edmonton. Name another top pairing D that is willing to do that. If Edmonton doesn’t want to Include then that’s reasonable but they should do so with the realization that getting a second round pick from anyone would be relatively easy for OEL and other teams first rounders might be considered more valuable if we are talking 2021. In order to acquire OEL there needs to be an actual asset of interest. If that isn’t part of the package then why would AZ deal with Edmonton a conference rival. Boston or something other non conference team becomes more attractive at that point.

Every year various publications do a top 100 ranking of prospects. Those prospects that appear on that list would be classified as A prospects. On average a team should have 3 players on that list. If you are saying that Broberg and Bouchard are off the table (which makes sense) then everyone else should be up for discussion. The protected list of prospects should not in this case go 5-7 prospects deep.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Link? From the famous words of kevin garnett when the celtics won the chip. “Anything is possibllllllllllllllllllllllllle”.
My cat Toonces told me, “Taylor Hall will sign a two year, $7.75mm AAV contract with the Avs” so I expect and demand my Toonces gets the twitter credit for who broke it first when this happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad