26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Are we making the playoffs next year? No
Do we need money badly for next year? No
If Dadonov was traded , Hoffman can return something

Belzile 2 way or out
Gurianov Out
Pitlick AHL
Monahan is not needed hes washed and broken.

I'd be willing to buyout Hoffman to give Gurianov a spot. I'd rather see someone with a glimmer of hope of being a part of the future and take the 1.7M csp hit next year than watch Hoffman take up a roster spot and maybe return a 4th round pick at the TDL.

Or better I'd try to trade him, 50% retained.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I'd be willing to buyout Hoffman to give Gurianov a spot. I'd rather see someone with a glimmer of hope of being a part of the future and take the 1.7M csp hit next year than watch Hoffman take up a roster spot and maybe return a 4th round pick at the TDL.

Or better I'd try to trade him, 50% retained.
I think the Guri experiment was enough to tell us that he's the same in Dallas. Id rather keep Hoffman and get assets or give Ylonen or RHP his spot in the third line.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Put no because I think Armia will get bought out.

But the logjam of forwards is interesting, I really wonder what the lineup will look like next season. I don't think we've seen this much potential roster movement in a long time.

Will RHP, Ylonen, Belzile, Gurianov, Slafkovsky, Pitlick, Armia keep their spots on the team?
Will Anderson get traded?
What about Monahan, resigned to try and get some deadline value out of him or let go?

Will Heineman, Farrell make it up or stay in the AHL with Roy, Kidney and possibly other new forwards.

Then on D there's Edmundson or Savard who may get traded, Kovacevik could get let go or stay as 7D, Wideman could be out of a spot.

On G there's Allen who could be traded to make room for Primeau as backup, or Primeau will get shopped (Allen likely has more value so I'd see him being the more likely trade bait).

We already have some inkling on how it will pan out because HuGo's stated goal is to make a team that can compete every year in the long run. So maximizing assets on players who won't be part of the future and keeping players with lesser value to finish their contracts and bring up players who fit the speedy, puck-possession style of play.
No one's getting bought out FFS!

What's the point? Are we going for the cup or something?

Reactions: Trabdy2

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
What is this thread about? You can't buyout players just like that without a compliance buyout otherwise it's going to bite you back in the ass. Hoffman is not going to get bought out ever.

Reactions: Rapala

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I don't see the use to that, yeah we have a logjam up front, but that's where Hughes will have to keep cleaning up what's left of Bergevin's mess. And like some said already, Hoffman at 50% will have value, some teams will want him (his shot, especially), despite his shortcomings, he pretty much is the definition of 'rental'.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think the Guri experiment was enough to tell us that he's the same in Dallas. Id rather keep Hoffman and get assets or give Ylonen or RHP his spot in the third line.

Guri needs to play with a good center. That's what the experiment tells me definitively so far.

Let's see how he does playing a regular shift with Dubois, Dach, or Suzuki...

But from MSL's press conference it sounds like it's over.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't see the use to that, yeah we have a logjam up front, but that's where Hughes will have to keep cleaning up what's left of Bergevin's mess. And like some said already, Hoffman at 50% will have value, some teams will want him (his shot, especially), despite his shortcomings, he pretty much is the definition of 'rental'.
Beau Bazzoo :laugh:

Guri needs to play with a good center. That's what the experiment tells me definitively so far.

Let's see how he does playing a regular shift with Dubois, Dach, or Suzuki...

But from MSL's press conference it sounds like it's over.
His results with Suzuki and Dach had him demoted both times. I'm taking Emile Heineman over Gurianov 100 times out of 100.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Hell no! Absolutely not, you keep The Hoff. He's only got 1 year left and we might get an asset for him at the trade deadline.
Who would give an asset for that plug? He’s a horrendous player and not the type you want out there in an important playoff match.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
No buyouts; either trade Hoffman with 50% retain or if that fails put him on waivers.
Honestly, next season is going to look just like this season likely. May as well just let him play out his contract.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Who would give an asset for that plug? He’s a horrendous player and not the type you want out there in an important playoff match.
We got something back for Dadonov didn’t we? The Hoff would have been more valuable if we had a decent PP. Fire Burrows and get someone competent and he might look half decent.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We got something back for Dadonov didn’t we? The Hoff would have been more valuable if we had a decent PP. Fire Burrows and get someone competent and he might look half decent.
The problem with Hoff on the PP is the end zone time that dies on his stick over and over and over again. Poor shot selection poor puck handling poor playmaking. The best PP we've had in a long time happened when Hoff got knocked out of the game for a stretch. Most of the play went through Suzuki and Dach down low while Matheson was sliding over to the middle for one timers but was patient with his shot selection. Gurianov played that right side and was able to set up Suzuki for a one timer. I think we scored two goals while Hoffman was out and then the PP went into the shitter the minute he returned.

Reactions: the

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
They all expire as soon as the regular season concludes.

It makes zero sense to buyout Hoffman now. Give him first line + PP next year and flip at deadline.

They expire July 1st when the new season begins which means we still have them at draft.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They all expire as soon as the regular season concludes.

It makes zero sense to buyout Hoffman now. Give him first line + PP next year and flip at deadline.

Pretty sure they expire when the contract ends, which would be July 1st.

That would mean we can do 1 retained trade at the draft and then we have to wait for FA to do more.

As for who to retain on, we have Edmundson, Pitlick, Hoffman, Montembeault and Wideman as UFA next year. I don't think Hughes would retain on a multi-year contract like Dvorak/Armia unless the return is great.

I think we trade Hoffman and Edmundson with retention and use the last one in a Bonino-like deal.

Reactions: Goal Caufield50

Alexandre Magny

Apr 27, 2019
Non ,racheter Hoffman alors qu'on ne visera pas les séries l'an prochain serait ridicule , il ne reste qu'un an à son contrat et advenant une bonne saison l'an prochain tu retiens 50 % et il partira à la date limite des échanges.

Reactions: PhysicX and the

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Beau Bazzoo :laugh:

His results with Suzuki and Dach had him demoted both times. I'm taking Emile Heineman over Gurianov 100 times in 100.
Me too, I take Heineman over Gurianov.

But I also take Gurianov over Hoffman and Armia.

I would keep Gurianov and send 1 of the following 3 players to the AHL next year: Heineman, Gurianov, Farrell. I lean towards Farrell. But that can all be worked out in camp.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Hoffman has now played 130 games for the Habs and has a total of 5 Power play goals. In contrast Nick Suzuki who is not having a great year on the PP has 7 this year alone. Hoffman has no business being on the Power Play it's just STUPID. Why aren't journalists asking the very simple question Why do you keep trotting him out there Marty? How can anyone think playing him on the PP next year would improve his value at TDL? I hope to god we take a very long look at our Power Play and start using players who have a modicum of success on it and actually deserve to be there. Why there is no competition amongst our current group to win spots is beyond me given how fantastically impotent our odd man situations are. f*** run a puck moving drill and pull players who can't execute regardless of name age and station in life.

End of Rant

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Assuming:
1. Dvorak + Florida 1st for PLD
2. Draft 1st or 2nd overall

Slaf-Suzuki-CC
PLD-Dach-Anderson
Heineman-Bédard/Fantilli-Gally(??)
RHP-Evans-Ylonen

Extra forwards:
- Hoffman
- Armia
- Pitlick
- Farrell (can be sent to AHL without issues)
- Gurianov
- Pezzetta

There’s way too many forwards fighting for roster spots next year and we have too much cap-space to let it go unused. Ideally we either sign CC and PLD to big contracts or we acquire another Monahan for draft picks.

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
I think some under estimate what they are trying to built. I don't see Hoffman contributing in a good way in the new culture they are trying to promote.

We have several prospect that could benefit from his ice time.

We don't need the cap space for the next year, money is irrevelant in this case (buy out or not its change nothing)

Obviously if you think you can trade him at the TDl, you keep it...but Hoffman type is not usually the kind of player you want to trade for a cup run. There is, will be far better option. I don't see any value in this kind of player even at 50%.

Reactions: lamp9post

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1