Buyout Hoffman

• Yes

Votes: 55 17.0%
  • No

Votes: 268 83.0%

• Total voters

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Which forward prospect do we have coming in who will deserve top six minutes? I wouldn't be surprised if even Farrell starts in Laval.
That's a different argument. It's ok for Hoffman to play on the guest like if the point is to insulate the youngsters.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's still better to get a 4th and not have his buy-out on our ledger.. we can still prioritize development time and give Hoffman spot duties.

Armia being a toxic person in Laval for 2 years wouldn't help build the culture, I don't see Hughes doing that.

I don't think Armia would be toxic in Laval...

I think we'll be ok with Hoffman's 1.5M on the cap for 1 extra year. But I'd rather trade him with 50% retained in the summer, if possible. No guarantee he gets s 4th at the TDL. So I'd rather give the development time to a young guy.

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
I wouldnt buy him out.

I would try to trade him this summer with some retained money or you ride him on your second line for another year and flip him at the trade deadline. I would much prefer that he would leave this summer but his contract isnt a dump priority. Armia buyout in a 2024 summer tho.

Anderson, Edmundson and Dvorak (if we trade for Dubois) are the ones that are most likely to leave this summer.

I agree that there's a logjam upfront. It will be a very active summer for Hughes.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't think Armia would be toxic in Laval...

I think we'll be ok with Hoffman's 1.5M on the cap for 1 extra year. But I'd rather trade him with 50% retained in the summer, if possible. No guarantee he gets s 4th at the TDL. So I'd rather give the development time to a young guy.

Any professional athlete who thinks they have more to give at the NHL level is going to be toxic being waived and sent to the minors.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Any professional athlete who thinks they have more to give at the NHL level is going to be toxic being waived and sent to the minors.

Any one that brings a toxic attitude can be sent home. There are plenty of vets that were in the minors when they were no longer desired by every team in the league.

For example, Gomez played in the AHL and his teammates loved him. Partly because he made so much money in the NHL and he's Mexican, so when they were on the road he'd buy the whole team meals.

Reactions: Sorinth

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
We have so many wingers on the potential roster next season, not even counting guys like RHP,Farrell and Heineman making a strong case in the second half. I don't see a spot for him in the top 9 at all for 23-24. I'd make every effort to get rid of him, although a buyout is the last alternative, obviously. Even Gurianov on a minimal contract might not be an easy fit TBH.

Reactions: 26Mats

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'd trade and retain 50% before buying him out.but no guarantee even at 50% retained there'd be any interest, unfortunately.

So I voted yes to buy him out.

I'd play Caufield, Slaf, Farrell, Heineman, Gurianov, Ylonen, RHP, and Anderson all in the top 6 over Hoffnan. They may be part of the future. Hoffman definitely isn't.
I don't think Gurianov is any different from Hoffman to be honest, I am not sure there's a point to re-sign him. He's not going to suddenly develop a secondary game, he skates fast and shoots the puck and sucks at everything else. I don't think half those guys you've listed will even start the year in Montreal.

Reactions: j c petit

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think Gurianov is any different from Hoffman to be honest, I am not sure there's a point to re-sign him. He's not going to suddenly develop a secondary game, he skates fast and shoots the puck and sucks at everything else. I don't think half those guys you've listed will even start the year in Montreal.
There're are 9 guys there. If you don't think half will start the year in Montreal, that means you think 5 won't start in Montreal. Which 5?

Reactions: HabzSauce

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
I’d buy him out and sign Monahan to a 1 year deal. I think he’d have more value in a trade than Hoffman.

As for wingers, there are a lot on this team

Caufield, Slaf, RHP, Ylonen, Heineman, Anderson, Gallagher, Armia, Pezzetta, Belzile. And if we sign Monahan, likely Dvorak/Dach will play wing too

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I’d buy him out and sign Monahan to a 1 year deal. I think he’d have more value in a trade than Hoffman.

As for wingers, there are a lot on this team

Caufield, Slaf, RHP, Ylonen, Heineman, Anderson, Gallagher, Armia, Pezzetta, Belzile. And if we sign Monahan, likely Dvorak/Dach will play wing too
I'd do this also. But Monahan has to get healthy first. No guarantee that happens.

Reactions: RandomTask26

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
There're are 9 guys there. If you don't think half will start the year in Montreal, that means you think 5 won't start in Montreal. Which 5?
That's not how math works, but I only think Caufield, Slaf, Anderson and RHP are locks.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Hoffman-Dach-Anderson
RHP-Dvo-Gallagher
Armia-Evans-??
Pitlick/Pezz

If we get Dubois I would guess Anderson is gone. If somehow no, someone is moving to the fourth line. One-way contracts don't simply disappear and we don't have cap space, so a bunch of these guys are going to start in Laval.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That's not how math works, but I only think Caufield, Slaf, Anderson and RHP are locks.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Hoffman-Dach-Anderson
RHP-Dvo-Gallagher
Armia-Evans-??
Pitlick/Pezz

If we get Dubois I would guess Anderson is gone. If somehow no, someone is moving to the fourth line. One-way contracts don't simply disappear and we don't have cap space, so a bunch of these guys are going to start in Laval.
You do have half the guys I listed in your lineup (Slaf, Caufield, Anderson, and RHP), after saying didn't think half are on it...

we'll see next year. Ylonen is no longer waiver exempt. I doubt they don't have him on the roster, and just lose him to waivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabzSauce

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I wouldnt buy him out.

I would try to trade him this summer with some retained money or you ride him on your second line for another year and flip him at the trade deadline. I would much prefer that he would leave this summer but his contract isnt a dump priority. Armia buyout in a 2024 summer tho.

Anderson, Edmundson and Dvorak (if we trade for Dubois) are the ones that are most likely to leave this summer.

I agree that there's a logjam upfront. It will be a very active summer for Hughes.
I think that the logjam up front, after Byron and Drouin are also gone, is really for the year after next season, when the rookies are more ready for the NHL after playing in Laval for one year.

Packing the lineup with rookies is not the proper way to go, IMO. It's just another case of rushing players needlessly and potentially affecting their confidence going forward.

Reactions: K2MyEverest

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Any one that brings a toxic attitude can be sent home. There are plenty of vets that were in the minors when they were no longer desired by every team in the league.

For example, Gomez played in the AHL and his teammates loved him. Partly because he made so much money in the NHL and he's Mexican, so when they were on the road he'd buy the whole team meals.
Because... Mexicans just love to feed people? Why the Mexican portion of this post?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Because... Mexicans just love to feed people? Why the Mexican portion of this post?

In the interview Gomez mentioned it. Yes, that kind of hospitality with food is part of the culture, for those that have the means.

Reactions: Scriptor

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Hoffman-Dach-Anderson
RHP-Dvo-Gallagher
Armia-Evans-??
Pitlick/Pezz

Possibly including Hoffman, if we get Dubois, but that might also free up a spot up front in the process.

Hoffman can be buried if he doesn't fit and puck blocks a rookie that is deserving of ice time in the NHL.

Hoffman is not my concern. The fourth rounder he might get if he goes bananas and produces offensively on a second line is not worth puck blocking a youngster who deserves to play.

I don't buy out Hoffman, but not because I want to showcase him on the off chance he might net a return at the TDL.

In the interview Gomez mentioned it. Yes, that kind of hospitality with food is part of the culture, for those that have the means.
Thanks.

You do have half the guys I listed in your lineup (Slaf, Caufield, Anderson, and RHP), after saying didn't think half are on it...

we'll see next year. Ylonen is no longer waiver exempt. I doubt they don't have him on the roster, and just lose him to waivers.
I think Ylonen becomes a toss in for a trade in the offseason, rather than losing him for nothing. Even if he produced more of late, I think this player is too soft and does not have the potential to replace Byron's game because of that, for example.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
- Let Drouin walk
- Trade Dvorak for picks
- Trade Edmundson during offseason
- Waive Armia
- Keep Hoffman and trade him before trade deadline if we don’t make the playoffs
- Trade Evans during the season if the AHL guys and prospects are doing a better job for cheaper
- Trade Allen for whatever you can get
- Also re-sign Belzile!

That's a lot of money saved right there.

I'll willing to bet one year on Montembeault and Primeau. If it doesn't work, then trade for a goalie the year after.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
No.

We're still paying Alzner. There's one year left and plenty of room for the contract. Even if HuGo went after PLD this summer, there's still room.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
He won’t be bought out, he won’t be waived, he may however rotate in and out of the lineup.

They will handle things exactly the same way as they did with Hoffman, Drouin, Dadonov, Pitlick, etc. this season.
Why would anything change in the way they operate?

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Hello all,

With our logjam of forwards and some young guys knocking at the door: Heineman, RHP, Ylonen, Farrell, etc plus our other regulars:
Suzuki
Caufield
Dach
Gallagher
Dvorak*
Anderson*
Evans
Armia
Pezzetta
Slafkovsky
Gurianov?

That's potentially 11 spots already taken unless Anderson and Dvorak are dealt.

To allow some of these players to make the roster, would you buy out Hoffman (based on there being no teams interested of course)?

A buyout would mean a cap penalty of 1.66M for 2 years.

Is this a no brainer?

Voted « No », insofar as the optimal way to shed Hoffman’s contract remains to deal him at full retention at some point between July 1st and TDL 2024; I’d rather have a mid-to-late round pick next summer than 1.66M in cap buyout!

Reactions: McPhees Moustache

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Trade him with 50% retain there is no reason to amputate cap space in the following and if that doesn’t work you waive him if that doesn’t work and you don’t want him in Laval than you len him to a other AHL.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Hoffman can be tacked on to a package deal if the idea is to simply create space.

Trade him with 50% retain there is no reason to amputate cap space in the following and if that doesn’t work you waive him if that doesn’t work and you don’t want him in Laval than you len him to a other AHL.
Hughes WILL NOT retain until TDL. Why do people not take him at his word?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad