Buyout Hoffman

• Yes

Votes: 55 17.0%
  • No

Votes: 268 83.0%

• Total voters

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Hughes WILL NOT retain until TDL. Why do people not take him at his word?
At the post TDL press conference, Hughes said he kept a retaining slot for the draft. That means he's ready to trade someone with their next season salary retained for the entire season. That's either Eddy or Hoffman.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
No. Habs ain't competing at all next year. Will probably be around 11-12th as opposed to 15th-16th (this and last year). Having Hoffman off the books completely is more valuable than opening up some cap for next season, which isn't necessary

2024 offseason will be where HuGo will have to spend to the cap and desperately trade away cap

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
As long as he isn't being a problem in the room, keep him. Get his salary off our cap structure completely next year and perhaps get a little something for him at the trade deadline.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
At the post TDL press conference, Hughes said he kept a retaining slot for the draft. That means he's ready to trade someone with their next season salary retained for the entire season. That's either Eddy or Hoffman.
I didn't hear that. But it flys in the face of everything he has said in previous press conferences. It's very possible he will use it if he gets what he wants via trade he may feel he's opened up enough cap. Hoffman maybe but I don't think he would have to with Eddy.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
The answer is why? It's not like the Habs need cap space or will sign some premium UFA. He's gone next year, and might fetch a pick or some Gurianov type player at the deadline. He's been playing quite well lately, so that increases his value.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Bite the bullet for 1 more year and try to trade at the trade deadline like for Dadonov

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
If you want to tank again next year, keep him. He is a parasite on this team's development. A veteran with an inexistant relationship with the org with always be a poison (see Petry and Drouin).

If you want to progress, dump him. Opens a spot to Ylonen, Heineman or RHP without having to deal with the toxic backlash of relegating a vet to a smaller role.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
You do have half the guys I listed in your lineup (Slaf, Caufield, Anderson, and RHP), after saying didn't think half are on it...

we'll see next year. Ylonen is no longer waiver exempt. I doubt they don't have him on the roster, and just lose him to waivers.
4 out of 9 isn't half by my count but I am an English major so what do I know.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
He won’t be bought out, he won’t be waived, he may however rotate in and out of the lineup.

They will handle things exactly the same way as they did with Hoffman, Drouin, Dadonov, Pitlick, etc. this season.
Why would anything change in the way they operate?
Because more kids are coming in and we need space.
It's not complicated

I think people don't realize just how much work Kent is going to be doing this summer trying to SHED some of these deadweights, especially not having to deal with the whole OMFG draft in MTL +1st OV pick extravaganza situation this time

Because he's not going to be "signing guys off the market" , I feel a BIG "internal" turn over coming for the start of next year

And Hoffman, no matter WHAT, can NOT be there next season
So do what you must Kent.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
4 out of 9 isn't half by my count but I am an English major so what do I know.
There were actually only 8 to begin with, and I'm a math major - who originally miscounted..

But count on Ylonen being on the team as is. Of course there may be moves...

• Haha
Reactions: morhilane

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If we make the Dubois trade this summer, we can just include Hoffman (or Armia) in the package. At least for Hoffman, the jets should have no complaints taking on his contract.

Anderson has been on trade rumors for a while, and he should be traded this summer or next summer/tdl. We have a lot of young wingers coming in. If we trade him this summer, we could use those assets in a Dubois trade.

If we don't want to keep Gurianov, we could just trade him for a mid/late pick.

On defense and G, I see us trading Edmundson and Allen.

Caufield - Suzuki - Dubois
Slaf - Dach - RHP
Farrell - Dvorak - Heineman
Ylonen - Evans - Gallagher
Gurianov, Armia

Guhle - Matheson
Xhekaj - Savard
Harris - Barron
Kovacevic

Monty
Primeau

Reactions: 26Mats

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
Because more kids are coming in and we need space.
It's not complicated

I think people don't realize just how much work Kent is going to be doing this summer trying to SHED some of these deadweights, especially not having to deal with the whole OMFG draft in MTL +1st OV pick extravaganza situation this time

Because he's not going to be "signing guys off the market" , I feel a BIG "internal" turn over coming for the start of next year

And Hoffman, no matter WHAT, can NOT be there next season
So do what you must Kent.
Sure, he’s going to try to dump the deadweight but there’s no guarantee he’s sucessfull. Face it, Hoffman (and Armia) may just ride out his contract in a Habs jersey just like Drouin did.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Sure, he’s going to try to dump the deadweight but there’s no guarantee he’s sucessfull. Face it, Hoffman (and Armia) may just ride out his contract in a Habs jersey just like Drouin did.
Insanely doubtful. I could see Hoffman unfortunately playing out the contract,
But you're DREAMING if you think Armia is here for another TWO years lol

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
I wouldn’t buy him out . It’s time to pay for those bad players now and not report even further their cap hits.

We can send Hoffman to Laval if needed to next year no problem .

Reactions: Sorinth and 26Mats

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I look at our Cap situation and see Alzner there. That drives me nuts. I hate it. Buying out a year so it sticks around for 2 is bad enough, but buy out 2 so it sticks for 4 years ? Jesus.

I look at it like this. Do we NEED the Cap space ? If no, then just keep the guy up or send him to the minors if we need the roster spot. This way we get him completely off the books asap.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I don't see much benefit in buying him out. He should have some value and ought to be kept around and traded at the deadline or even before the season with retained salary.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
Insanely doubtful. I could see Hoffman unfortunately playing out the contract,
But you're DREAMING if you think Armia is here for another TWO years lol
More a nightmare than a dream. I don’t want you to think I am hoping this happens, I just don’t see another GM out there willing to take one of those contracts.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
No need to buy out anyone not even Gallagher team is not gonna comepte next year and will probably even take a step back

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Put no because I think Armia will get bought out.

But the logjam of forwards is interesting, I really wonder what the lineup will look like next season. I don't think we've seen this much potential roster movement in a long time.

Will RHP, Ylonen, Belzile, Gurianov, Slafkovsky, Pitlick, Armia keep their spots on the team?
Will Anderson get traded?
What about Monahan, resigned to try and get some deadline value out of him or let go?

Will Heineman, Farrell make it up or stay in the AHL with Roy, Kidney and possibly other new forwards.

Then on D there's Edmundson or Savard who may get traded, Kovacevik could get let go or stay as 7D, Wideman could be out of a spot.

On G there's Allen who could be traded to make room for Primeau as backup, or Primeau will get shopped (Allen likely has more value so I'd see him being the more likely trade bait).

We already have some inkling on how it will pan out because HuGo's stated goal is to make a team that can compete every year in the long run. So maximizing assets on players who won't be part of the future and keeping players with lesser value to finish their contracts and bring up players who fit the speedy, puck-possession style of play.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Are we making the playoffs next year? No
Do we need money badly for next year? No
If Dadonov was traded , Hoffman can return something

Put no because I think Armia will get bought out.

But the logjam of forwards is interesting, I really wonder what the lineup will look like next season. I don't think we've seen this much potential roster movement in a long time.

Will RHP, Ylonen, Belzile, Gurianov, Slafkovsky, Pitlick, Armia keep their spots on the team?
Will Anderson get traded?
What about Monahan, resigned to try and get some deadline value out of him or let go?

Will Heineman, Farrell make it up or stay in the AHL with Roy, Kidney and possibly other new forwards.

Then on D there's Edmundson or Savard who may get traded, Kovacevik could get let go or stay as 7D, Wideman could be out of a spot.

On G there's Allen who could be traded to make room for Primeau as backup, or Primeau will get shopped (Allen likely has more value so I'd see him being the more likely trade bait).

We already have some inkling on how it will pan out because HuGo's stated goal is to make a team that can compete every year in the long run. So maximizing assets on players who won't be part of the future and keeping players with lesser value to finish their contracts and bring up players who fit the speedy, puck-possession style of play.
Belzile 2 way or out
Gurianov Out
Pitlick AHL
Monahan is not needed hes washed and broken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad