• No

Votes: 268 83.0%

• Total voters

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Hello all,

With our logjam of forwards and some young guys knocking at the door: Heineman, RHP, Ylonen, Farrell, etc plus our other regulars:
Suzuki
Caufield
Dach
Gallagher
Dvorak*
Anderson*
Evans
Armia
Pezzetta
Slafkovsky
Gurianov?

That's potentially 11 spots already taken unless Anderson and Dvorak are dealt.

To allow some of these players to make the roster, would you buy out Hoffman (based on there being no teams interested of course)?

A buyout would mean a cap penalty of 1.66M for 2 years.

Is this a no brainer?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Might as well trade & retain 1.5M for 1 year vs pay 1.6M cap penalty for two.

At 3M we'd get some kind of return one would think...
Two of the three retentions are used now but I’ve forgotten when they end. More options in the offseason I expect. Hoffman might have some use on a good second line. He gets exposed pretty much anywhere else.

Ligue

Sep 28, 2017
I voted no, but it depends. Buyout only if a Monahan like deal is on the table and we need the extra cap next year to make it work.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Two of the three retentions are used now but I’ve forgotten when they end. More options in the offseason I expect. Hoffman might have some use on a good second line. He gets exposed pretty much anywhere else.
They all expire as soon as the regular season concludes.

It makes zero sense to buyout Hoffman now. Give him first line + PP next year and flip at deadline.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
They all expire as soon as the regular season concludes.

It makes zero sense to buyout Hoffman now. Give him first line + PP next year and flip at deadline.
Hoffman puts up points on the first line but he doesn’t look good. Have to find a Bergevin to take him.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
No I'd keep him

He's a valuable member of the tank

We will need his services for another year or so and that also goes to Armia

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Is whatever asset we'd get back worth either losing some of these guys on waivers (RHP/Ylonen) or them not getting NHL reps? Not sure about that. We have enough late picks as it is.
Buyout saves $3.333M this coming year but costs $1.666M the following year when we might compete.

We can retain up to $1.666M in a trade so long as the return is not negative. We can even retain up to $2.5M if we like the return a bit.

Best option if there is no trade on the table is to play him and look to trade him later in the year. But if Hoffman is not in the top 13-14 F after camp, best IMO becomes to waive him.

If he gets taken, we save his whole cap $4.5M, and if he is not claimed, we bury him and save $1.150M and can still call him back up if there are injury needs or a player on ELC needs more seasoning in Laval.

We can waive Armia too, for the same reason. It's not 'breaking a code', in fact we waived Alternate captain Paul Byron several times.

Hoffman puts up points on the first line but he doesn’t look good. Have to find a Bergevin to take him.
Despite occasional brain farts, Hoffman's defence and commitment level have improved a lot under MSL. There might be GMs paying attention and not operating from old notes or bias.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Is whatever asset we'd get back worth either losing some of these guys on waivers (RHP/Ylonen) or them not getting NHL reps? Not sure about that. We have enough late picks as it is.
We should have enough spots to fit them in with a few players leaving the team this offseason.

Worst case you trade the Donkey/Dvorak or buyout a longer term deal such a Gallagher/Armia. But I would avoid buyouts in general and leave it as a last resort.

Buying out The Hoff with 1 year left and still in our rebuilding phase is not worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MXD

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
If you're just concerned about roster spots then you can just send him to the AHL, there's no real point to using the buyout unless theres some crazy offseason moves and we actually need the space.
I'll admit I forgot about waivers being an option. I'm no expert on his character but I'd be wary of him bringing a negative energy in Laval and him pouting off. That's without considering him taking some of Roy's or Kidney's minutes.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There's no point, he's done next year and unlike Drouin, will have some value at 50% retention and be moved at deadline to a team looking to add a powerplay/shooting threat into a series if they need it.

Buying out Armia would be the more wise use of a buy-out. Gallagher's buy-out is too expensive and damaging long term, otherwise that would be the most preferable option.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Seriously?

It seems to me that developing the young players by adequately distributing ice time should be a lot more important than acquiring an additional second rounder.
Which forward prospect do we have coming in who will deserve top six minutes? I wouldn't be surprised if even Farrell starts in Laval.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Might as well trade & retain 1.5M for 1 year vs pay 1.6M cap penalty for two.

At 3M we'd get some kind of return one would think...

I'd trade and retain 50% before buying him out.but no guarantee even at 50% retained there'd be any interest, unfortunately.

So I voted yes to buy him out.

Which forward prospect do we have coming in who will deserve top six minutes? I wouldn't be surprised if even Farrell starts in Laval.

I'd play Caufield, Slaf, Farrell, Heineman, Gurianov, Ylonen, RHP, and Anderson all in the top 6 over Hoffnan. They may be part of the future. Hoffman definitely isn't.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There's no point, he's done next year and unlike Drouin, will have some value at 50% retention and be moved at deadline to a team looking to add a powerplay/shooting threat into a series if they need it.

Buying out Armia would be the more wise use of a buy-out. Gallagher's buy-out is too expensive and damaging long term, otherwise that would be the most preferable option.
Armia would be on the books for 4 years though. I'd rather just bury him in laval for the last two years...

We won't get much for Hoffman at the trade deadline, maybe a 4th, if anything. I'd rather give the development time to a young player.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Trade him at the draft. We need him off to team so that St. Louis can't use him on the PP for his shot. We need to find someone that can take that spot on the second PP that could stay there long term. No point having him in a role he'll leave in a year. Him being traded will force us to rotate players to see who fits.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Armia would be on the books for 4 years though. I'd rather just bury him in laval for the last two years...

We won't get much for Hoffman at the trade deadline, maybe a 4th, if anything. I'd rather give the development time to a young player.

It's still better to get a 4th and not have his buy-out on our ledger.. we can still prioritize development time and give Hoffman spot duties.

Armia being a toxic person in Laval for 2 years wouldn't help build the culture, I don't see Hughes doing that.

Reactions: SupRocket

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad