Recalled/Assigned: Burmistrov on waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I have a feeling Burmi will not accept playing for the Moose and is going to bolt for Mother Russia. KHL or maybe some European team.

KHL / NHL have a reciprocal agreement. He can bolt, but he wouldn't be able to play in the K until next year.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
He could play for the Moose and phone it in so to speak but if he works hard he has to be worth something to some team like AZ even if it's a 7th round pick. He won't leave 800k on the table.

Lemon Lover

Forever in Blueland
Jun 19, 2010
Atlanta
Can any Thrashers fans explain what the rational was for picking Burmistrov in the 2010 Draft?

Dudley was high on him for some reason. As I recall he was viewed as more of a complete two-way forward who had a lot more to contribute that just offensive prowess (which obviously didn't translate at the NHL level). Other than Burmistrov, Dudley did a good job in a short time, but that was his biggest fail.

kane and bogosian while you're at it too.

Kane and Bogo were pretty much ranked right where they were drafted (Burmi was drafted earlier than expected) but both were rushed, especially Bogo.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Can any Thrashers fans explain what the rational was for picking Burmistrov in the 2010 Draft?

Burmi was a bit of reach but not nearly even on Scheifele level nevermind Morrissey level. He was a guy that was quite exciting in the junior game, he had fantastic hands. Nifty skater with great hands and a responsible two way player, many viewed him as Datsyuk lite.

See some draft preview stuff.
http://thehockeywriters.com/the-hockey-spy%E2%80%99s-2010-nhl-entry-draft-preview-%E2%80%93-alexander-burmistrov/
[Ranked 13]While Burmistrov may not reach even 75% of the level with which they play, he might be best described in the mold of former Russian great Igor Larionov and present NHLer Pavel Datsyuk.

He will have to beef up to take on the rigors of the big league, but his work eihic suggests this won’t be a big issue for him.

http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=39853
12 Alexander Burmistrov, C Atlanta Thrashers 8

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=62937
16 Ottawa Senators Alexander Burmistrov, C, Barrie (OHL)
SKINNY: An electric offensive talent that had no trouble adjusting to North American game

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=62943
6 Tampa Bay Lightning Alexander Burmistrov, C, Barrie (OHL)
SKINNY: The first pick of the Yzerman Era ensures Bolts one day will possess frightening 1-2 punch at center

Remember too that Burmistrov had an electric rookie season. A PK beast that often showed off fantastic hands, after his rookie year he really did look like he had near Datsyuk like potential.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Completely unsurprising. Why now, though? Clearing space for another move?

Probably. It might only be to clear PB room though, unless someone is interested in a trade but doesn't want to deal with clearing him through waivers or having him on the NHL roster because they claimed him.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
My guess is Burmi mouthed off on the coaching staff last night questioning why he's not on the team while the team is losing so badly. Otherwise it seems a bit of an odd move to make on new years day when they could have just done it on the 27th

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
:cry::cry:

Probably a good move for the jets but I hope he doesn't get claimed and can be an injury callup

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like opening up a roster spot. Bring in some job competition for roster players.

Tanev in for Stafford.

Or, better still, bring up Connor for Stafford to put a bit of juice into an offense that has dried up.

Trade Stafford. Trade Burmi. Go with more youth for the rest of the season.

I think Connor benefits from more time in the AHL. Leave him there until he starts tearing it up.

Meanwhile there are several players who could be brought up. Tanev is one. He was good here as long as he stayed on the 4th line. Adding him would instantly double the team aggregate energy level. :)

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
My guess is Burmi mouthed off on the coaching staff last night questioning why he's not on the team while the team is losing so badly. Otherwise it seems a bit of an odd move to make on new years day when they could have just done it on the 27th

That's actually what I was speculating on in my earlier post & not his publicized comments from earlier in the month.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm tired of the Jets gifting roster spots to underperforming vets. They are the constant with this team, and they not only keep their roster spots but also prime roles (on special teams). It's not just Stafford, either. Perreault has had a really rough season, after an unproductive one last season. He didn't really do anything apart from Little and Wheeler, and his low production 5v5 is looking pretty chronic at this point.

Maybe it's lingering injuries, but he has 4 goals and 9 primary assists in over 1,230 5v5 minutes in the past couple of seasons. That's worse production than Thorbs. His shooting % has been very low, but his iFenwick/60 has also not been very good, so he's not getting a lot of shots towards the goal at 5v5.

Vets keep on taking bad penalties, with basically no consequences. Meanwhile, players like Dano and Copp, who have performed well in whichever role they've been given, end up scraping their way to try to get on the 4th line.

Disagree about MP. He was no good at C, either when we first got him or this year. As soon as he moved back to LW his play picked up.

Vets have got to be accountable though. Not just for penalties though that would be the best place to start. Hanging their heads and saying 'sorry coach' is not enough.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Probably the same rational that led our org to take Stanley in the first round last draft but I digress.

Like any of our assets I was hoping for things to turn out with Alex but between last season and this season I have hit the wall and am ready to move on.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Just as Uncle Sip predicted......but Sip we will trade Burmi, he's got value, no kids only good players have value, besides Grandpa Chevy doesn't make trades unless good players do bad things....

That's a pretty long limb you went out on there Uncle Sip.

Bold call :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Probably the same rational that led our org to take Stanley in the first round last draft but I digress.

Like any of our assets I was hoping for things to turn out with Alex but between last season and this season I have hit the wall and am ready to move on.

Yup. He was given every opportunity. I supported him here but I am done.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Burmi was a bit of reach but not nearly even on Scheifele level nevermind Morrissey level. He was a guy that was quite exciting in the junior game, he had fantastic hands. Nifty skater with great hands and a responsible two way player, many viewed him as Datsyuk lite.

See some draft preview stuff.
http://thehockeywriters.com/the-hockey-spy%E2%80%99s-2010-nhl-entry-draft-preview-%E2%80%93-alexander-burmistrov/

http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=39853

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=62937

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=62943

Remember too that Burmistrov had an electric rookie season. A PK beast that often showed off fantastic hands, after his rookie year he really did look like he had near Datsyuk like potential.

The fickle nature of evaluating teenagers, especially the what's between their ears part.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
He was good once. Now he's not. I don't know what happened after he left for Russia, but at this point, I don't think he'll ever be a regular NHL player.

What's interesting is that it happened near the middle of his KHL.

He was good in his first season in the KHL.
In his second season he was not.

Wonder what happened...

Edit: Can almost see where the descent began...
C1H3MBPVEAAFM_e.jpg

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'm tired of the Jets gifting roster spots to underperforming vets. They are the constant with this team, and they not only keep their roster spots but also prime roles (on special teams). It's not just Stafford, either. Perreault has had a really rough season, after an unproductive one last season. He didn't really do anything apart from Little and Wheeler, and his low production 5v5 is looking pretty chronic at this point.

Maybe it's lingering injuries, but he has 4 goals and 9 primary assists in over 1,230 5v5 minutes in the past couple of seasons. That's worse production than Thorbs. His shooting % has been very low, but his iFenwick/60 has also not been very good, so he's not getting a lot of shots towards the goal at 5v5.

Vets keep on taking bad penalties, with basically no consequences. Meanwhile, players like Dano and Copp, who have performed well in whichever role they've been given, end up scraping their way to try to get on the 4th line.

Perreault had 4th highest Jet point per minute production last season for 5v5 and all minutes despite shooting at 1/3 his career previous low in 5v5 sh%.

Unproductive last season he was not.

He struggled this season when he was with the rookies Connor and Laine, but has been much better away. He's pacing at a 1.7 5v5 p/60 since being placed with Little, for example, which is below his norm but still a legitimate 2nd line scoring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad