Recalled/Assigned: Burmistrov on waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Could be many things: effort, substances, weird age curve, environment, mental, effort... or combination of many.
I think he became a player nobody wanted on their line. He has little vision on the ice and excels at keep-it-away. Who wants him as their centre?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So what happened to this kid? I thought he was, at one time, high on the prospect radar? Looking at his stats they seem kinda not special? 30 goals, 51 assist, 81 points in 298 NHL games.

When I heard he was on waivers I though hey this is a guy we might be able to steal.

Is it that he is just not that good or is there more to this guy and maybe a change a scenery would do him good?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So what happened to this kid? I thought he was, at one time, high on the prospect radar? Looking at his stats they seem kinda not special? 30 goals, 51 assist, 81 points in 298 NHL games.

When I heard he was on waivers I though hey this is a guy we might be able to steal.

Is it that he is just not that good or is there more to this guy and maybe a change a scenery would do him good?

In a nutshell - he holds onto the puck too long. Doesn't pass. Doesn't shoot. Eventually loses puck.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
No one really knows what happened. He was a good prospect and showed promise early on but something happened somewhere along the way that not only stunted his growth as a player, but essentially regressed as an NHL player. First mistake was playing in the NHL right after his draft. But even with that mistake he still should have been at least a 3rd liner. That ship has sailed it appears. At least in Winnipeg.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I just hope these waivers are for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release, or whatever the terminology is. I see no benefit to him playing on the Moose, and possible detriment having a malcontent around the young players. Tell him to go home and collect his remaining paychecks.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Went to go check out the Arizona board to see what they thought of the news - they're really going for the hard tank. A couple posters have Burmi slotting in at 1 or 2 C.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The fickle nature of evaluating teenagers, especially the what's between their ears part.

How very true.

I think the Burmistrov case is different though -- this kid actually performed well at the NHL level but something happened to him.

Bogosian was also very good early

Kane too (though his attitude would have always been a problem me thinks).

Player development is important, folks. Kids who are drafted do not all of the sudden become mature adults who have all the answers.

I wonder how Burmistrov would have done with the Red Wings? I think they'd probably have another Datsyuk on their hands (or similar)>

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I think my tickets for the game on the 18th just shot up in value!

I already know who will be the consensus first goal scorer in our game prediction thread. Go Burmi! Show everyone what a gifted player you are once released from the yoke of oppression that is Maurice's system. And Noel's system. And whoever's system you played under in the KHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's quite possible that the Yotes picked up Burmistrov to be one of the 2 forwards that they need to expose in the expansion draft.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Arizona claiming Burmi sounds a lot like a full tank job on their part. They pick up a player that they can play the rest of this season to tank, and then let him walk at the end of the year.

It's quite possible that the Yotes picked up Burmistrov to be one of the 2 forwards that they need to expose in the expansion draft.

Since Burmi's contract is done at the end of this season, Arizona would need to sign him to a contract before he can be left exposed IIRC.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
So of the original Thrashers that became Jets 2.0 only Buff, Enstrom, Stuart, Little, Thorburn and Wheeler left, and then there were six.....

Hard to believe Burmi was playing with Little, Enstrom, Buff and Thorbs since 2010 (Wheeler and Stu didn't join the Thrashers until late in the 2011 season)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Arizona claiming Burmi sounds a lot like a full tank job on their part. They pick up a player that they can play the rest of this season to tank, and then let him walk at the end of the year.

Since Burmi's contract is done at the end of this season, Arizona would need to sign him to a contract before he can be left exposed IIRC.

Nope. He's an RFA at the end of the season, so I think he would count as an eligible forward to meet the exposure requirements.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Nope. He's an RFA at the end of the season, so I think he would count as an eligible forward to meet the exposure requirements.

Hmm. You may be right. I'm not sure how RFA players count towards expansion draft requirements. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can clear that up.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Hmm. You may be right. I'm not sure how RFA players count towards expansion draft requirements. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can clear that up.
He has to have received at least a qualifying offer by the expansion draft.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I think my tickets for the game on the 18th just shot up in value!

I already know who will be the consensus first goal scorer in our game prediction thread. Go Burmi! Show everyone what a gifted player you are once released from the yoke of oppression that is Maurice's system. And Noel's system. And whoever's system you played under in the KHL.

Wait until he gets a load of Tippett's system :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I believe that him being RFA covers that. He will still be Ari property so is eligible for the ED.

Critical Mass

Feb 6, 2011
He has to have received at least a qualifying offer by the expansion draft.

Skaters appear to have to be under contract. Goalies are eligible with a qualifying offer.

From the NHL site:

All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well, we won't have Burmi to kick around anymore. Fortunately we still have Stafford. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad