Post-Game Talk: Burgh 2, State of Florida 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kunitz is such a waste of a roster spot. Two really dumb penalties when the game was still close, and him generally loafing around the ice on his shifts. The fact the Pens' broadcast team keeps giving him props just makes it worse.

Hey, watch it. You're talking about the Player Of The Game, bud.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hey, watch it. You're talking about the Player Of The Game, bud.

Do the ROOTS folks actually believe the nonsense they say about him, or do they do it because they know it bugs folks like us?

I'm not entirely sure which would be more pathetic -- if they're unprofessional enough to do it out of spite, or if they're actually that ****ing dumb.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Oh, for sure. It just would have been nice for them to be tied with him and still have those 3 games in hand to build a bit of space between them and him. :laugh:

I heard a rumor and hopefully the mods don't delete... but I heard that McDavid walked out of Bulk Barn with a pocketful of Hot Tamales before today's game.

Source is solid.

Straight up.

torrencemd

Jun 27, 2006
I'm just glad we are sitting near the top of the standings and seems like we are getting closer to that H word. I am excited to see if we bring in any pieces that put us over the top. Also would like to see if CBJ can keep up their torrid pace. They seem to be putting a team together that looks awfully similar to what we have. Also the resurgence of the East taking the top spots in the standings. Looks like speed and skill game with depth is better than the pound it out hard hitting style of the West. Any which way you look at it, seems like we are playing great hockey. The depth of this team is causing a lot of problems for the rest of the league. Feels weird to say that word, DEPTH and the penguins in the same sentence.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Do the ROOTS folks actually believe the nonsense they say about him, or do they do it because they know it bugs folks like us?

I'm not entirely sure which would be more pathetic -- if they're unprofessional enough to do it out of spite, or if they're actually that ****ing dumb.

Kunitz is a Jedi and veteran status has a strong influence on the weak-minded. HFBoards Pens are Hutts.

And I think I just insulted and complimented us at the same time.

SensPens

Jan 7, 2017
Hull-Gatineau, Q
Saw Drouin score, got sad and thought theyd lose so i went to train. Looked at the score after... Thank you 3rd period Pengoos.
And WBS won too? What a swell day.

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
No, we should definitely move Hornqvist for another sniper.

But for real, I love how hes in peoples faces at the end of every whistle. No, let me correct that, everyone gets in his face at the end of every whistle. He just causes havoc and pisses people off. Love it.

And as much as I want him on the bench, to move in to the top 10 of a franchises scoring record is noteworthy. Yeah he had a(nother) bad game, but give the man his 15 minutes for an achievement.

I love that he doesn't take stupid penalties even though he takes so much abuse in front of the net. So many guys would just get super chippy and take a penalty. I love that his forecheck is clean, even when the team tries to bait him into a boarding call and he just hip checks them from the side.

He's one of the cleaner gritty forwards.

Overall the first 10 minute of that game was bad, and Fleury was definitely timely saves not giving up a goal. Bad passes, bad breakouts, typical rust though.

Sheary had a tap in goal, but what was funny was both Sustr and Vasi lost the puck and turned to face Crosby. Had they seen it, Sheary tap in wouldn't look like stealing Rust goal. That shift was 50 seconds in the offensive zone and like 8 shot attempts.

Guess Kuhnhackl will be another healthy scratch as Fehr and Wilson both scored.

Idk how I feel about Oleksy. He did end up a +2 tonight and he helped on Kessel's goal by keeping it in and bouncing it off the boards in front of the net, but Tampa really didn't seem to burn him like you'd think. A Maatta and Oleksy pairing should have been routinely burned on the break out but they actually did all right. We were able to sustain offensive pressure with him and he made the Pens tough to play against. His hip check to the wingers on the boards is certainly something players ****ing hate.

Tampa really just seems lost. Hedman botched Fehrs goal up. They seemed soft and tired and lost. Just all around lost.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
No, we should definitely move Hornqvist for another sniper.

But for real, I love how hes in peoples faces at the end of every whistle. No, let me correct that, everyone gets in his face at the end of every whistle. He just causes havoc and pisses people off. Love it.

And as much as I want him on the bench, to move in to the top 10 of a franchises scoring record is noteworthy. Yeah he had a(nother) bad game, but give the man his 15 minutes for an achievement.

You know.. every single shift defenders are going after him angry as ****, and i cannot recall one single dumb penalty Horny took off the top of my head. He knows the line, goes to it, and let's the other team lose their ****.

The guy does so much that people don't see.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kunitz is a Jedi and veteran status has a strong influence on the weak-minded. HFBoards Pens are Hutts.

And I think I just insulted and complimented us at the same time.

If we're going for the Star Wars analogy, I think Kunitz is closer to Jar-Jar Binks.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It is mind numbing stuff w/ #14. Two STUPID penalties, and the 2nd one was just absolutely ****ing ridiculous, yet the guy gets to be #1 star. It drives me nuts. It drives me equally as nuts as people saying Adams was a good hockey player and deserved NHL minutes for the length of time he played here.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It is mind numbing stuff w/ #14. Two STUPID penalties, and the 2nd one was just absolutely ****ing ridiculous, yet the guy gets to be #1 star. It drives me nuts. It drives me equally as nuts as people saying Adams was a good hockey player and deserved NHL minutes for the length of time he played here.

Most overrated Pen in Penguin history. Guy can fart and everyone would be trying to take a wiff.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Sullivan was giving the ref **** for that second penalty as well. Anyone else and I guarantee Sullivan is more pissed at the player. It was a clear slash to the hands.

I'm convincing myself they're just kissing his ass because they know it's his last year here. I swear to **** if Kunitz agrees to sign cheap one year deals here......

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Didn't catch the third, but man, Matt Cullen's still something else when you give him a week of rest. Tonight's a good argument for not overusing him in the regular season. Fresh, he's still the same player he was on Minnesota 6 or 7 years ago.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Saw Drouin score, got sad and thought theyd lose so i went to train. Looked at the score after... Thank you 3rd period Pengoos.
And WBS won too? What a swell day.

Drouin's a double edged sword. Creates offense out of nowhere. The problem is that he does this in equal measure for both hockey clubs.

You'd think he could clean that up a little, but he doesn't look an inch better on that front from last spring.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Most overrated Pen in Penguin history. Guy can fart and everyone would be trying to take a wiff.

Naah. Not even close to MAF. MAF is the most overrated Penguin of all-time and I don't think there can be a close second. I'll throw Morozov (ducks) in the top 5 and I'll throw Tom Barrasso in there as well. But nobody can touch MAF when it comes to most overrated Penguin.

Sullivan was giving the ref **** for that second penalty as well. Anyone else and I guarantee Sullivan is more pissed at the player. It was a clear slash to the hands.

I'm convincing myself they're just kissing his ass because they know it's his last year here. I swear to **** if Kunitz agrees to sign cheap one year deals here......

How could anyone even argue the 2nd one. He literally skates over, slashes the **** out of Garrison, and deserved the penalty. It was cut and dry. And to use your stick like that after getting called for one earlier... it's EXACTLY what Sully says not to do.

If it was Guenztel, he'd have to go to the AHL and work on his stick work.

Didn't catch the third, but man, Matt Cullen's still something else when you give him a week of rest. Tonight's a good argument for not overusing him in the regular season. Fresh, he's still the same player he was on Minnesota 6 or 7 years ago.

Like when he shoved Drouin right out of his way as if he was some AHL player? :laugh: I almost want to beg him to come back next year, too. He's just so damn good.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Good game all around. Tampa is falling apart, hopefully they don't slip in as the 8th seed once healthy.

Malkin-Hornqvist still doesn't work.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I don't even care if shootout loss gets a point. I like the 3 point regulation win though.

At that point, why bother with OT? Just go straight shootout off a regulation tie.

W 3pts
L 0pts
SO W 2pts (encourage teams to win in regulation by limiting SO W value)
SO L 1pt (consolation since almost won by keeping it close in regulation)

On topic, narrowly missed a few classic Fleury moments...d tripping on his jettisoned stick, close wrap arounds etc

And Maatta was suuuuper sketchy. He made some plays but my god, I dont think he can outskate a sledhockey player

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012

This is actually a great question and one that deserves further investigation.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
This is actually a great question and one that deserves further investigation.

There is obviously some trolling being done by the local sports network here. I'm sure they enjoy getting a rise out of a handful of posters on an internet message board!

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

I would wager it's neither. My money would be on them being given talking points from the Pens PR department.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada

I like a good conspiracy theory but you cant actually believe this.

Do you actually believe a professional broadcasting group will a) read a message board and b) then, on air during a broadcast, say blatantly incorrect things for the sole reason of getting a rise out of posters of said message board?

I mean .. come on lol

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Don't both home and away media vote on the #1 star though?

I mean, it's not like we don't know how dumb our media personalities are, so I hardly expect Florida's to be any better.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I would wager it's neither. My money would be on them being given talking points from the Pens PR department.

I'd say it's actually probably them giving the audience what they want, but that's largely the same thing. We are a distinct minority here and it's always good to give a gentle reminder that, yes, most fans actually think Kunitz is a good player.

Whatcha gonna do? It's like yelling at a cloudy sky for being grey.

Karpo

Jan 9, 2017
Hello everyone, been lurking around here for years now, but just had to create an account to say this:
After years of watching Craig Adams on the fourth line, it seems like such a blessing when that line can produce offence on a somewhat regular basis. Also, this being the first game i've got to see this season (also first time seeing fleury in net since gm 5 against tampa), gotta say that watching him flopping around the crease makes me so nervous. Sure, he had a kind of a good game and got the W, but it could've been a lot worse if the bolts converted on the chances he was giving them with that nonsense.
It's just so weird, when the last game you watched was game 6 of a Stanley Cup Final with murray in net and then watching a regular season game in january with fleury in net, and being so much more nervous watching the latter

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

And Sully's praise for him after the game was pretty special. Either Sully is just pumping a vet's tires or he genuinely believes the words that come out of his mouth. Unfortunately I believe it's the latter which means Kuni isn't going anywhere this year and isn't being benched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad