Post-Game Talk: Burgh 2, State of Florida 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He always struck as a more entertaining version of errey. He could add a lot of colour.

Him and Errey are a lot alike. I'm an Errey fan though. I enjoy listening to ex-players who can pick things out of the game that a normal person would never be able to pick out. Errey gets lumped in with Steiggy though.

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
Him and Errey are a lot alike. I'm an Errey fan though. I enjoy listening to ex-players who can pick things out of the game that a normal person would never be able to pick out. Errey gets lumped in with Steiggy though.

Errey is imperfect, but light years better than Steiggy.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Maatta is looking a lot better. Finally jumping into the play.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Maatta is looking a lot better. Finally jumping into the play.

Agreed but he still makes me nervous when he has to turn and chase a loose puck. So slow in transition from backwards to forwards. He's taking better angles though now so getting walked less.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Errey is imperfect, but light years better than Steiggy.

Errey with someone competent and less biased could definitely be great. Steiggy's Bylsma-era love rubs off on him a bit too often but he's definitely the more neutral and fair of the two.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Agreed but he still makes me nervous when he has to turn and chase a loose puck. So slow in transition from backwards to forwards. He's taking better angles though now so getting walked less.

His speed has improved from earlier in the season. Hoping during the next pre season everything is sorted and kills it from the start.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I went to the game with 7 family members so I didn't get to focus too much on the little things. I just enjoyed the win and it was a great experience to be with family and enjoy a game w/o over analyzing. Just a couple things from me:

1) Sid's "shift" was such a game changer. It really turned the tide, IMO, for the entire game. It was great to see live right in front of my eyes and show fellow family members THAT is why he's the best in the world. He was so dominant.

2) Tampa looks...lost. Their confidence level is rock bottom and I never felt any player on their team was dangerous except Drouin (as always). They need something. I don't know what it is, but the team is disconnected. Even if I feel Cooper is a great coach, they are just lost and playing poorly. They might need a new voice telling them what to do.

3) The double standard of Kunitz pisses me off. 2 BAD penalties and the coach is singing his praises after the game because he gets a goal. But Guentzel is scoring left/right and his play isn't up to par. It pisses me off. But oh well... it's pointless to argue.

4) I thought MAF was great, but once again.. lots of flopping around and lots of leaking pucks. Luckily Tampa was all perimeter. I still liked how Flower played. Big saves early.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why should we be? Genuinely curious.

C'mon, you know who is being targeted with that. Like.... you know under their fingernails they are sweating holding back from type screaming.

This game was very much better then I expected it to turn out. I really thought it would be tighter in the realm of a 3-2 game.

I'm happy for all of them.

I'd give the 50/50 for Fleury and some others, but when you only give up 2 which is the average or just below the average, everyone deserves a + in a long layoff return game.

I want to give Sully a big plus putting Letang and Schultz on the PP.

Geno was going, Sid and even Kessel. All at once. Crazy times. I like that.

The drive by these guys was a great way to cap off the yinzer twoforall Sunday.

Off subject: Did you get any, "Thanks Dan", Cole?

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The 2009 festivities weren't all that much live. They announced the players and did some video packages, but nothing too crazy. Was a little disappointed. They did a Talbot video but they did it at intermission.... the crowd would have gone ****ing NUTS if it was pre-game.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Worse case scenario happened tonight when CBJ played the Flyers:

CBJ 2 - Flyers 1 in OT.

CBJ gets two points.
Flyers get one point.
Both get important points in the competitive Metro Division.

Both teams will use this game as a confidence builder.

There is something to be said about revamping the points awarded:

3 (W)
2 (OT W)
1 (OT L)*
2 (SO W)
0 + participation trophy (SO L)

*Extend OT 3v3 to ten minutes.

Last edited:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
2) Tampa looks...lost. Their confidence level is rock bottom and I never felt any player on their team was dangerous except Drouin (as always). They need something. I don't know what it is, but the team is disconnected. Even if I feel Cooper is a great coach, they are just lost and playing poorly. They might need a new voice telling them what to do.

Kunitz. Kunitz....? KUNITZ! That's what they need.

In actual fact '14' was an absolute disgrace for the majority of the game. He is a liability in his own zone, he takes obvious, stupid penalties and he is almost never a positive factor on any play in the offensive zone. And they friggin give him player of the game merit :D .

Hilarious.

Geno was off in this one, IMO. Made some nice passes throughout, but a fraction slow to most things and too cute on several plays in his own zone.

Oleksy.... Oleksy IMO should never play over Ruhwedel. I don't care about handedness here. Oleksy to me is an obvious liability, whereas Ruh has been plain good when up.

Great result. Most everyone not mentioned were real good.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Oleksy.... Oleksy IMO should never play over Ruhwedel. I don't care about handedness here. Oleksy to me is an obvious liability, whereas Ruh has been plain good when up.

I don't think Sullivan cares either. They have the same handedness.

GaudsWish

Jan 8, 2017
I was wondering why TB didn't pull Vasilevskiy after 4 / 5 and finally 6 goals. WTF are they doing with his development?

Last 3 games before tonight, he's let in 5, 5 and 4 goals and played all of each game. It's great that we beat them, but it sucks watching a young player with so much promise fail because of poor coaching

Not saying this is smart but, Jon Cooper is a fantastic coach

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kunitz. Kunitz....? KUNITZ! That's what they need.

In actual fact '14' was an absolute disgrace for the majority of the game. He is a liability in his own zone, he takes obvious, stupid penalties and he is almost never a positive factor on any play in the offensive zone. And they friggin give him player of the game merit :D .

Hilarious.

Geno was off in this one, IMO. Made some nice passes throughout, but a fraction slow to most things and too cute on several plays in his own zone.

Great result. Most everyone not mentioned were real good.

Agreed. The guy is an AHLer. Ruh should definitely be in. And that reminded me, Cole does A LOT of grit work away from the puck. He's always the guy battling in front while our puck movers get easier assignments. Cole was TREMENDOUS live.

Also I think Tampa needs Hornqvist badly. They need a grit guy and so do many teams in the league. I'm glad we have him because without 72, we'd desperately need a player like him. Tampa looks like that exact situation.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Agreed. The guy is an AHLer. Ruh should definitely be in. And that reminded me, Cole does A LOT of grit work away from the puck. He's always the guy battling in front while our puck movers get easier assignments. Cole was TREMENDOUS live.

Also I think Tampa needs Hornqvist badly. They need a grit guy and so do many teams in the league. I'm glad we have him because without 72, we'd desperately need a player like him. Tampa looks like that exact situation.

No, we should definitely move Hornqvist for another sniper.

But for real, I love how hes in peoples faces at the end of every whistle. No, let me correct that, everyone gets in his face at the end of every whistle. He just causes havoc and pisses people off. Love it.

And as much as I want him on the bench, to move in to the top 10 of a franchises scoring record is noteworthy. Yeah he had a(nother) bad game, but give the man his 15 minutes for an achievement.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Worse case scenario:

CBJ 2 - Flyers 1 in OT.

CBJ gets two points.
Flyers get one point.
Both get important points in the competitive Metro Division.

Both teams will use game as confidence builder.

There is something to be said about revamping the points awarded:

3 (W)
2 (OT W)
1 (OT L)*
2 (SO W)
0 + participation trophy (SO L)

*Extend OT 3v3 to ten minutes.
I don't even care if shootout loss gets a point. I like the 3 point regulation win though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sloppy win, but pretty impressive considering the time off and the rust that's likely associated with it.

Kunitz is such a waste of a roster spot. Two really dumb penalties when the game was still close, and him generally loafing around the ice on his shifts. The fact the Pens' broadcast team keeps giving him props just makes it worse.

Slight disappointment: Pens score 6 goals, Crosby gets two points and Malkin gets zero. Oilers score 3 goals, McDavid gets two points. From an individual point of view, it would have been nice for Sid and Geno to have got 3 or 4 point games to close the gap.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sloppy win, but pretty impressive considering the time off and the rust that's likely associated with it.

Kunitz is such a waste of a roster spot. Two really dumb penalties when the game was still close, and him generally loafing around the ice on his shifts. The fact the Pens' broadcast team keeps giving him props just makes it worse.

Slight disappointment: Pens score 6 goals, Crosby gets two points and Malkin gets zero. Oilers score 3 goals, McDavid gets two points. From an individual point of view, it would have been nice for Sid and Geno to have got 3 or 4 point games to close the gap.

I believe McDavid has three games in hand on them due to the bye, so they will have their chances to make up those points when he is sitting.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I believe McDavid has three games in hand on them due to the bye, so they will have their chances to make up those points when he is sitting.

Oh, for sure. It just would have been nice for them to be tied with him and still have those 3 games in hand to build a bit of space between them and him. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad