Confirmed with Link: Burakovsky signs 1 x 3.25M

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I really like the way he works with MacKinnon, too. Defenders always key in on him in the offensive zone, especially with Rantanen out. Bura has been excellent these last few games about taking advantage of this and finding the open ice that MacK creates. On his first goal last night, you can clearly see Giordano cheating over towards MacKinnon, and Bura just steps into that open space and roofs the pass. So it's more than just him having a sniper's accuracy, he's giving himself the opportunity to get his shot off.
He made a similar read to get behind a Canucks or Jets defender (I can't remember which game it was) for a MacKinnon pass that he buried.

He's got good offensive IQ besides his shot. Just needs confidence and keep making sure he's engaged into the game.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Definitely not a signature night for Bura last night. That's fine, I'm hoping he shakes the rust off soon. At the very least, he was skating the puck well, just took too damned long to actually do anything with it when it came time.

One thing of note--he has scored all but one of his goals at even strength. While that's remarkable insofar as the narrative of "soft" offensive production goes with power play producers, I actually think he's kinda lousy on the man-advantage. He has an elite shot, tremendous speed, and very good hands, but as far as catching hard passes, he's actually not great. He bobbles pucks a lot and most of the time doesn't get good looks when he's standing still, which happens a lot on the power play.

Mind you, the one power play goal he DID score was a beauty, so we'll see. But I can completely see why he can be so tantalizing and frustrating at the same time.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Definitely not a signature night for Bura last night. That's fine, I'm hoping he shakes the rust off soon. At the very least, he was skating the puck well, just took too damned long to actually do anything with it when it came time.

One thing of note--he has scored all but one of his goals at even strength. While that's remarkable insofar as the narrative of "soft" offensive production goes with power play producers, I actually think he's kinda lousy on the man-advantage. He has an elite shot, tremendous speed, and very good hands, but as far as catching hard passes, he's actually not great. He bobbles pucks a lot and most of the time doesn't get good looks when he's standing still, which happens a lot on the power play.

Mind you, the one power play goal he DID score was a beauty, so we'll see. But I can completely see why he can be so tantalizing and frustrating at the same time.

Yeah, Burakovsky is confusing, so much talent and great size but sometimes simply not getting it done. This is the best we have seen from him in the NHL though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Yeah, was thinking he reverted back to trying to do too much last night. Just one less stick handle/move. He was trying to be that playmaker again, and it was killing things. The good thing is it was usually after he at least got it into the O zone. Which highlights why his numbers in that area have been strong, and even used to predict a breakout.

Flashes of J. Malkin lol.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Bura is really making me eat crow. I wasn't happy when we traded for him but it's hard not to like him now. A third into his first season here and I almost consider him part of the core already.

It’s hard to find players who can shoot the puck with the pace and accuracy he can. He’s also been a better passer than I expected.

So far, he’s fitting beautifully in the top-6

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Bura is really making me eat crow. I wasn't happy when we traded for him but it's hard not to like him now. A third into his first season here and I almost consider him part of the core already.

Avs fans are open minded about evaluating players based on their play. That said, we could all be a little more patient at times in evaluating them.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He's also put together ~20 game stretches of strong play only to disappear for the next 10, before. So there's extra reason to be cautious about believing that he's finally turned the corner.

Reactions: S E P H

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's got a killer shot and good speed. He's a flawed player but he's been performing better than anyone had a right to expect. Nothing but respect for that.

It's a bit scary having a flawed RFA on a one year deal put up points. Hard to see future contract that's good for Avs there.

Reactions: Nihiliste and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He's got a killer shot and good speed. He's a flawed player but he's been performing better than anyone had a right to expect. Nothing but respect for that.

It's a bit scary having a flawed RFA on a one year deal put up points. Hard to see future contract that's good for Avs there.

Yeah, this may be the start of everything clicking for him as Bura becomes a legit 60pt winger moving forward...but I can just as easily see his next contract going the way of Boedker's post-Avs deal.

Would be cool if Shero was intrigued by Bura being part of the package for Hall; say Bura + B-prospect (Helleson/Bowers/Kaut) + 1st + cond. 1st/2nd...if we're going to give out a risky extension; I'd rather it be to the recent Hart winner who I'm worried will fall off before the deal is done, than to the RFA who I'm worried only "put it together" because it was a contract year that would play a huge role in where his career goes from here.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yeah, this may be the start of everything clicking for him as Bura becomes a legit 60pt winger moving forward...but I can just as easily see his next contract going the way of Boedker's post-Avs deal.

Would be cool if Shero was intrigued by Bura being part of the package for Hall; say Bura + B-prospect (Helleson/Bowers/Kaut) + 1st + cond. 1st/2nd...if we're going to give out a risky extension; I'd rather it be to the recent Hart winner who I'm worried will fall off before the deal is done, than to the RFA who I'm worried only "put it together" because it was a contract year that would play a huge role in where his career goes from here.

I think I’d rather keep Bura and the other assets. I’ll take the 24-year old over a 28-year old who’s contract would likely be an anchor in 2/3 years.

Reactions: DallasGaume

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think I’d rather keep Bura and the other assets. I’ll take the 24-year old over a 28-year old who’s contract would likely be an anchor in 2/3 years.

That feels like a bit of a stretch...

I can understand where you're coming from & if the light really has come on for Bura there's a perfectly reasonable argument to make in favor of that position...but I'm still not sold that Bura isn't pulling a Boedker right now.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

I can understand where you're coming from & if the light really has come on for Bura there's a perfectly reasonable argument to make in favor of that position...but I'm still not sold that Bura isn't pulling a Boedker right now.

That’s fair. Definitely need to see it consistently.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

Pulling a Boedker how? Boedker always produced at a ridciously low pace but was given a ton of ice time. Burakovsky has always produced at a high pace but been given a considerably low amount of ice time.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Pulling a Boedker how? Boedker always produced at a ridciously low pace but was given a ton of ice time. Burakovsky has always produced at a high pace but been given a considerably low amount of ice time.

Two hugely inconsistent players who disappear for long stretches when cold, overachieving in a contract year that's pivotal for their future earning potential...hmm, I wonder what could possibly link them? ;)

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Two hugely inconsistent players who disappear for long stretches when cold, overachieving in a contract year that's pivotal for their future earning potential...hmm, I wonder what could possibly link them? ;)
I wouldn't class any of them as more inconsistent than the average player around.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

trade him in the Hall deal

Reactions: cgf

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

When has he ever produced at a high pace outside of this season?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
When has he ever produced at a high pace outside of this season?

When you only look at his per 60 numbers...
I wouldn't class any of them as more inconsistent than the average player around.

That may be true but I don't think any of us would be happy with having the average NHLer on our 2nd line. The standards & expectations are different for scoring liners.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I just love how many of Burakovsky's goals are directly attributable to his talent. Blazing speed, amazing shot, actually using his size to get inside someone, good hands. Man I love this guy. Donskoi has been great but has been the beneficiary of more points due to linemates than Bura. Someone said earlier that Bura isn't good at catching hard passes, ya I've noticed that too. Lol he could have a couple more goals if he wasn't playing pick bobble.

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
When you only look at his per 60 numbers...

That may be true but I don't think any of us would be happy with having the average NHLer on our 2nd line. The standards & expectations are different for scoring liners.
Not sure what you mean. I said that they are not more inconsistent than the average player. The curve of their productions, the coming and going of points doesn't seem to vary from other players. It's just second line scorers who always gets knocked for not being "consistent". Because when they are hot, the score at first line pace, and when they are cold they score at bottom six pace and it gets very noticeable. A third liner or a fourth liner gets away with their cold stretches in a different way. But pretty much everyone have their average production rate and the same types of curves between hot and cold.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Not sure what you mean. I said that they are not more inconsistent than the average player. The curve of their productions, the coming and going of points doesn't seem to vary from other players. It's just second line scorers who always gets knocked for not being "consistent". Because when they are hot, the score at first line pace, and when they are cold they score at bottom six pace and it gets very noticeable. A third liner or a fourth liner gets away with their cold stretches in a different way. But pretty much everyone have their average production rate and the same types of curves between hot and cold.
Yeah. I mean, can anybody name a second liner who scores exactly .7 points per game over the course of an entire season and never goes cold? If you're scoring 55-ish points in the NHL, you're almost certainly going to have a few solid 2-3 point games mixed in with some games where you post 0, and it averages out to second line forward production over the course of 82 games. Nothing wrong with that. It's why they're second line forwards instead of core players.

Reactions: RobinDIF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad