Confirmed with Link: Burakovsky signs 1 x 3.25M

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Both players have shown they're perfectly capable of playing badly in long stretches. Signing both to even-reasonable contracts carries some amount of risk.

But really, no player is a safe bet. I still remember Brooks Laich getting a long-term extension, and part of the reason why WSH decided to go with it was that he was a remarkably durable player up until that point. He signed that deal and his body promptly fell apart.
I don't really disagree with anything here but I'm willing to give Nichushkin the benefit of the doubt due to his age, playstyle and the fact that he creates and pushes the puck towards the ozone so well that I can't see him ever being a burden like 6million dollar Bura could be if he doesn't score. Nichuskin comes in 3-4 mill imo.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's crazy to think that Milan Hejduk played in both the non-cap and cap era and his biggest annual salary was 4M and it only lasted for 3 seasons all of which were in the cap era. He hit 50 goals in 02/03 and only was making 3.8M at the time.

Only guy to get 50 goals that year too. Also had 98 points good for 4th in the NHL. Then he put up 75 points in 82 games the following year. This is when scoring was still fairly low.

He got screwed because the lockout year was the following season and he signed after that when the Avs were so tight against the Cap. They offered him a one season QO at $4.3M but then he signed for 5 years at $3.9M.

Milan always took hometown discounts. He'd probably make like $50M more in his career or something if he played in today's game.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Put me in the camp that wants to wait and see how Bura does the rest of the season and the playoffs before committing to him. He has proven this year and in the past that he's a very streaky player, and guys like that are very risky to sign long-term. That's because streaky players can sometimes have entire seasons where they play poorly.

That being said, before this season one of the Avs biggest needs was a winger who can shoot the puck. Since we don't seem to have a lot of that in the pipeline, and Bura is still young, I think he's our best bet at filling that need for the next several seasons.

All that being said, signing Nuke would be my priority.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
3 years, 5.25 a season is fair.
We get one cheap UFA season out of him and the money will free up in time for Nate’s new contract.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
3 years, 5.25 a season is fair.
We get one cheap UFA season out of him and the money will free up in time for Nate’s new contract.

I've really had difficulties thinking about we should give Bura.

3-4 years and ~5M+ sounds good for both parties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad