Confirmed with Link: Burakovsky signs 1 x 3.25M

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not sure what you mean. I said that they are not more inconsistent than the average player. The curve of their productions, the coming and going of points doesn't seem to vary from other players. It's just second line scorers who always gets knocked for not being "consistent". Because when they are hot, the score at first line pace, and when they are cold they score at bottom six pace and it gets very noticeable. A third liner or a fourth liner gets away with their cold stretches in a different way. But pretty much everyone have their average production rate and the same types of curves between hot and cold.
Yeah. I mean, can anybody name a second liner who scores exactly .7 points per game over the course of an entire season and never goes cold? If you're scoring 55-ish points in the NHL, you're almost certainly going to have a few solid 2-3 point games mixed in with some games where you post 0, and it averages out to second line forward production over the course of 82 games. Nothing wrong with that. It's why they're second line forwards instead of core players.

Which is the problem with 2nd liners that don't contribute away from the puck when cold & why there's often a lot more emphasis on consistency in those other contributions than in scoring, when it comes to 2nd liners. Kadri's a highend 2nd liner, so it's unfair to compare his offensive contributions with theirs, but it's not unfair to look at his ability to continue to contribute, even when not scoring. Which just has not ever been Boedker or Bura's game when they can't score...thus why their inconsistent production is so much more of an issue than similarly inconsistent producers who are much more consistent contributors (if that distinction makes more sense now).

It's ok for elite scorers like Gaudreau or MacK to do little against the puck because they can be relied upon to produce...or at least drive chance creation and even when they are cold getting them going again is more important than having the forecheck harder or w/e...but if you're an inconsistent producer like Bura or Boedker, it's imperative that you can still do something to help, even when you're cold.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He had a pretty rotten night tonight, but it was just not the type of game he excels in. A tight-checking, puck hound team like the Blues is going to feast on him with how bad he is in one on one battles. He does real well in track meets where his skating and shot can take over, but he's not good at physical play and never will be despite his size.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He had a pretty rotten night tonight, but it was just not the type of game he excels in. A tight-checking, puck hound team like the Blues is going to feast on him with how bad he is in one on one battles. He does real well in track meets where his skating and shot can take over, but he's not good at physical play and never will be despite his size.
The game that we played tonight was the closest thing to playoff hockey we've played this year. If Bura is going to disappear when things get tough he's useless for the playoffs.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The game that we played tonight was the closest thing to playoff hockey we've played this year. If Bura is going to disappear when things get tough he's useless for the playoffs.
Agreed, which is why I'm hesitant to commit to him long term until I actually see him there. There were some games we played against Calgary that would have been his bread and butter, but I worry that he would disappear in a series against the Blues, Knights, or Jets.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
In all fairness there a ton of us that were overly negative about his addition at time of the trade. And that inconsistency is very clearly still there.

He also looked awful in pre-season, I was sure he was going to be a miss based on how he was playing then. I'll admit I was wrong.

I'd give him a Donskoi type contract. 2nd to 3rd line role. Not sure if it'll be enough to keep him though. I wouldn't risk a long contract.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He also looked awful in pre-season, I was sure he was going to be a miss based on how he was playing then. I'll admit I was wrong.

I'd give him a Donskoi type contract. 2nd to 3rd line role. Not sure if it'll be enough to keep him though. I wouldn't risk a long contract.

I’m still not entirely convinced about Bura being here long term. The guy has a great shot but struggles to get it off quickly, isn’t a great playmaker and is the most useless person off the puck on the team by far. If he keeps up his pace this year I’d give him a 1 year prove it deal and go from there

Reactions: cgf

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I thought he was dangerous tonight, up until he had that godawful turnover (on the shift where Barberio was trapped on the ice for nearly 4 minutes) that culminated in the Kadri 4 minute high sticking call.

With that said, I hated the 95-29-96 line, but not as much as I hated the 92-91-72 line, in terms of construction. Landeskog and Donskoi do a lot of the down low dirty work and need to be separated tonight, IMO.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
In the 6 games prior to his injury... 6g 3a 9p. In the 7 games prior to that 1g 2a 3p (all in one game) and that could be extended to 11 games where only another assist is added. Since returning, in 6 games he has 1g 1a 2p. There is more than scoring that matters, but Burkie was brought in to be a 2nd line guy. His overall pacing easily signals 2nd line player (or better player), but he's so high and so low it is hard to see where this goes. I could see this alternating in 10 game patterns where he puts up near a PPG and then has 1 assist for the next 10. Or I could see 20 games with barely anything. It is, and has been, the most frustrating part of his game since he entered the league. You never really know who you are getting on any given night. The advantage he has here, is there are not other good options to replace him up the lineup like there was in Washington. He's allowed to struggle and work his way out of it... which so far with each struggle, he's found a way to do that eventually.

Reactions: cgf

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
This team could certainly use an effective Gabriel Landeskog right now. He’s been the biggest let down for me this season, hasn’t been himself at all.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
This team could certainly use an effective Gabriel Landeskog right now. He’s been the biggest let down for me this season, hasn’t been himself at all.

But after NEXT season he will become a UFA. Read middle year (this year), a year with golf, friends and maybe a beer. Gym? No way… Urrghh, let Nathan work...or Kadri… TYSON can work… and that new guy Cale... he knows no better… MAybe to the playoffs, if the weather becomes better.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

giphy.gif

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I like em. He’s a trainwreck defensively. Like maybe the worst I’ve ever seen. But he’s proven to be absolutely dynamic offensively. Even when the goals aren’t coming he’s making things happen. A player like that is very useful, but simply needs to be used strategically. He needs to have one of Landy/Donskoi/Kadri on the ice with him at all times and that shouldn’t be hard to accomplish.

I didn’t like this move early but right now you’d have to build one hell of an argument to convince me that he isn’t a legit top 6 winger.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
In the 6 games prior to his injury... 6g 3a 9p. In the 7 games prior to that 1g 2a 3p (all in one game) and that could be extended to 11 games where only another assist is added. Since returning, in 6 games he has 1g 1a 2p. There is more than scoring that matters, but Burkie was brought in to be a 2nd line guy. His overall pacing easily signals 2nd line player (or better player), but he's so high and so low it is hard to see where this goes. I could see this alternating in 10 game patterns where he puts up near a PPG and then has 1 assist for the next 10. Or I could see 20 games with barely anything. It is, and has been, the most frustrating part of his game since he entered the league. You never really know who you are getting on any given night. The advantage he has here, is there are not other good options to replace him up the lineup like there was in Washington. He's allowed to struggle and work his way out of it... which so far with each struggle, he's found a way to do that eventually.
Just need him to crest mid-playoffs

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

If he goes into that long of a stretch Bednar will pull the cord. There is at least one player who is deserving of getting a chance in that slot too. Especially because like Don, he actually does good shit when hes not scoring.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I’m still not entirely convinced about Bura being here long term. The guy has a great shot but struggles to get it off quickly, isn’t a great playmaker and is the most useless person off the puck on the team by far. If he keeps up his pace this year I’d give him a 1 year prove it deal and go from there

Seems to me he has trouble taking passes cleanly. He always needs that extra half a second to a second to go from receiving the pass to getting it into a shooting position.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
In all fairness there a ton of us that were overly negative about his addition at time of the trade. And that inconsistency is very clearly still there.

You'd be inconsistent too if your center was JT Compher. The dude was lights out with MacKinnon. So was Donskoi. Even Calvert played great with Mack.

I get Bednar putting the big line together but something isn't working.

It's time to split them up and go back to what was working.

Burakovsky- Mack- Donskoi
Landeskog- Kadri- Rantanen
Calvert- JTC- Nichushkin
Nieto- Bellmare- Jost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad