News Article: Bullying and backstabbing: the Ottawa Senators are pro sport's biggest mess

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
Neither belongs near an NHL team after this dark era is over.

Dorion can probably still get a job in pro hockey, scouting somewhere, and he can still use the "number of fans yelling at me in the arena" indicator of negative job performance.

There is approximately a 0% chance he ever gets a GM job in the league again. And I'm pretty sure he knows it too.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I think at this point its obvious that Bobby Ryan's contract is uninsured, because if it was he would have been "injured in a freak accident in the team gym" at the rate this team is LTIR'ing.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
I think Dorion is the Wormtongue to Melnyk's Saruman. A comparison that holds up all the more given Boro's likeness to an orc.

Sorry, this thread is becoming to civil...bringing nasty back! Nerdy. But nasty!

Booooo Dorion!!!!

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
I think at this point its obvious that Bobby Ryan's contract is uninsured, because if it was he would have been "injured in a freak accident in the team gym" at the rate this team is LTIR'ing.

Or Bobby's resisting. Maybe Melnyk should look up Harding and see if she and her associates are up for another job. Tonya seems like she'd be his kind of people.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There is no way the team opted not to insure the biggest contract it has ever signed. Premiums for the team to buy insurance are based on the teams top 5 contracts so your paying based on Ryan's contract whether you insure him or not.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
There is no way the team opted not to insure the biggest contract it has ever signed. Premiums for the team to buy insurance are based on the teams top 5 contracts so your paying based on Ryan's contract whether you insure him or not.

Twas a joke kind sir. Only in the best traditions of hyperbolic satire!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This isn't news, but it's nice to see national media – even if it's a mercurial columnist like Lambert – picking up on this now.

Senators continue cutting costs to shockingly low levels

"You can’t build a skyscraper on a deteriorating foundation, and Melnyk has been taking a jackhammer to that concrete for years."
"Even if we’re saying the AAVs on file here are what we should go by (and by rule, they are), the last time this Senators team would struggle to get under the salary cap is 2014-15. The cap has grown 18 percent since then. In terms of dollar expenditure, the Sens are closer to fielding a capped-out team from 2008-09; the cap’s up about 44 percent since then."

"Melnyk seemingly isn’t doing anything with the $25 million he’s saving by not pushing this team to the cap ceiling. That money’s not going into the front office and certainly not the scouting department, which improves the team in the long run. It’s not going to improving fans’ experience at games (not that it probably matters because who’s driving out to Kanata to watch a team with a potential top line of Boedker-Anisimov-Ryan?). It’s only going back to Melnyk, the owner who has become a vampiric presence in the league, who seems beset by scandal on a weekly basis."

love having the Sens in the news

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He didn't draft Karlsson, Murray did, after Forsberg scouted him. Dorion was a good chief scout, sure he gets another scouting gig, but Idk if he gets a sniff as a GM or even an AGM had he quit or let his contract expire in year two.

IMO Dorion's scouting is overrated. I think people give him too much credit for the work of other people.
I think he is the worst GM in the league by a long shot.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
IMO Dorion's scouting is overrated. I think people give him too much credit for the work of other people.
I think he is the worst GM in the league by a long shot.

Since other bad GMs league wide seem to be subject to this wacky concept called "getting fired" when their performance is not up to standard, ya at this point Dorion is probably the worst.

Just 2 more years to unparalleled success.
pretty cool ... I have no idea how they are going to pull it off... I don't imagine they do either.

Eugene is such a windbag, just like Trump making these grand statements they have put no thought whatsoever into pulling off. And as soon as FYOUS fails he'll start changing pronouns in how he refers to it, from "i" to "we", going from the image of being the generous guy putting up money to hinting that failure was due to situations beyond his control.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Since other bad GMs league wide seem to be subject to this wacky concept called "getting fired" when their performance is not up to standard, ya at this point Dorion is probably the worst.

Eugene is such a windbag, just like Trump making these grand statements they have put no thought whatsoever into pulling off. And as soon as FYOUS fails he'll start changing pronouns in how he refers to it, from "i" to "we", going from the image of being the generous guy putting up money to hinting that failure was due to situations beyond his control.

Your post combined with your avatar reminded me of the only thing we do have to look forward to this year and really moving forward in general until sale etc... which is the inevitable jaw dropping foot in mouth quotes we inevitably are in store for, the entire Eugene fireside and "were a team" will be hard to top but I'm sure are guys will do their best!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Don't forget that even Melnyk was purposely vague with his FYOUS claim.

He never said they would spend to the cap ceiling, he said they would spend close to it. You could argue that the cap floor is "close to" the cap ceiling if you really wanted to.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

So in terms of salary we are 4 million above the salary cap floor in the inaugural season for the NHL cap ($39 million cap floor in 2005-2006).

I think what is most disheartening here isn't that Melnyk f***ed over this team financially and doesn't want to fix it... it's that the damage he's doing now is going to last for years and impact new ownership and the eventual rebuild they will have to engage in.

Look at Buffalo, look at Edmonton. That is our future when we have an owner who will spend. This is what is so disastrous about Melnyk and his 'budget'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad