News Article: Bullying and backstabbing: the Ottawa Senators are pro sport's biggest mess

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Just 2 more years to unparalleled success.
pretty cool ... I have no idea how they are going to pull it off... I don't imagine they do either.

I can't wait to see how they ramp up to FYOUS. Will they have paralleled success by 2020-21 and then ramp up to unparalleled success by 2021-22, or will the transition be from unparalleled failure to unparalleled success beginning on puck drop on the 2021-22 season?

All we really know is that there will be success, that the success will be unparalleled, and that it will last exactly five years.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So in terms of salary we are 4 million above the salary cap floor in the inaugural season for the NHL cap ($39 million cap floor in 2005-2006).

I think what is most disheartening here isn't that Melnyk ****ed over this team financially and doesn't want to fix it... it's that the damage he's doing now is going to last for years and impact new ownership and the eventual rebuild they will have to engage in.

Look at Buffalo, look at Edmonton. That is our future when we have an owner who will spend. This is what is so disastrous about Melnyk and his 'budget'.
Buffalo and Edmonton have been terrible for a long time. Worse than Ottawa, way worse. So what good is money in those situations?

They are rebuilding. It is going to be cheap until some of the players pan out, and/or a new nucleus/core will form and will bring the price up. I would think that is the goal.

I think it would be best to start accepting that fact and move on. People love to bang their heads on the well daily about the Ottawa Senators. I mean, go ahead if you want to, but it may leave a mark

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
Buffalo and Edmonton have been terrible for a long time. Worse than Ottawa, way worse. So what good is money in those situations?

They are rebuilding. It is going to be cheap until some of the players pan out, and/or a new nucleus/core will form and will bring the price up. I would think that is the goal.

I think it would be best to start accepting that fact and move on. People love to bang their heads on the well daily about the Ottawa Senators. I mean, go ahead if you want to, but it may leave a mark
Um Buffalo has an owner who's willing to spend to get talent and I'm not surprised there are on a playoff team this year

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

They can sign a player to a contract and eventually not be terrible for a long time.

How exactly is Ottawa going to get out of the same situation? You seem to think we're significantly different for some reason. We're not. Back to back lotteries and this last one we were dead last in the league. How are we any different?

We are entering the same situation that Edmonton and Buffalo and many others have faced except we can't even attempt to buy/trade our way out like say Philadelphia did. When owners spend some of them can still get trapped. We're about to see what it's like when an owner and organization refuses to spend. Somehow I doubt the end result will be better than Edmonton or Buffalo. It certainly won't be better than teams who undertook a successful rebuild or retool.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
All we have to go on right now is empty words and cost cutting moves to the most extreme extent the league has seen in the cap era. Add to that a front office that looks to be about 3 people deep with 2 of those having been primary contributors to the need to rebuild in the first place, and another cheap coaching hire in the long line of them, and it doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence.

I do not have faith the money saved now will follow later, but even more importantly, I do not have faith in the the very few people making the decisions.

Prove me wrong... I'd rather that than being one of the masses to say I told you so in a few years.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I want to believe, but he's a vindictive little prick, so who knows how long this gong show will go on.

For sure. That's just what again (uh oh here it comes) the two people I know in this world who are/were definitively placed to know him and the business believe.

He's still his own guy. He could do a lot of random things.

But, as far as my (worthless to some of you) cottage conversations go, it's that the debt is a major issue in any sale discussions. I know, shocking insider knowledge. /s

Reactions: Senscore

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
I can't wait to see how they ramp up to FYOUS. Will they have paralleled success by 2020-21 and then ramp up to unparalleled success by 2021-22, or will the transition be from unparalleled failure to unparalleled success beginning on puck drop on the 2021-22 season?

All we really know is that there will be success, that the success will be unparalleled, and that it will last exactly five years.

I predict that the Sens will win 5 straight cups starting in 2022. I am so excited!

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
All you guys talking about FYOUS

And here I am just hoping the Sens can find some executives finally and have some in house stability

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
All you guys talking about FYOUS

And here I am just hoping the Sens can find some executives finally and have some in house stability

Why would you need an executive team or employees to run a business?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
For sure. That's just what again (uh oh here it comes) the two people I know in this world who are/were definitively placed to know him and the business believe.

He's still his own guy. He could do a lot of random things.

But, as far as my (worthless to some of you) cottage conversations go, it's that the debt is a major issue in any sale discussions. I know, shocking insider knowledge. /s

It would be nice if the money he’s saving is being slapped on the debt to facilitate a sale.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Those fanbases still have hope due to the resources those organizations have. If you can’t sell hope, you’re useless and there’s pretty much no rational reason to support the team.

Last edited:

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Watching young kids develop is fun but this rebuild is a joke, the moves this off season were all cost cutting moves not asset building , which is what this team should have been doing with all it's cap space.

This is not a rebuild this is a restructuring of Melynks debt due to lope holes in the LTIR CBA clause. Their is not one single hockey move that was not about cutting costs. This is a recipe for disaster of epic proportions!

Is one thing to have a youth movement but one flaw in these dumbies plan is that sometimes these prospects don't pan out. What will they do then? Sign some UFA's , B.S. we know scrooge is too cheap and the good UFA's would even take Dorion's calls? Trades well we know Dorion will get fleeced.

Melynk is every pro-sports fans worst nightmare as a owner. Washed up has been Billionaire that does not care about the team, franchise or the city. A complete embarrassment to the NHL and pro-sports. He is everything a NHL owner should not be and makes the league look bad period.

Dorion is a horrible GM and in any other organization would have never been given the job. He is nothing but a puppet for this lunatic boss and is obviously out classed by other GM's. His lies and excuses and fake contract offers, doing Melynks dirty work shows he has 0 integrity as GM that you could trust your franchise with. He is a glorified scout at best.

Allowing these two crooks to run this franchise is black eye on the NHL , while some people loath Bettman , the fact he has let this crazy owner and his joke of a organization continue to with this dog and pony show is one of Bettman's low point in his tenure.

Bettman's job is too make sure we have solid ownership of all teams and made sure they are run properly in the best interest of the players, the league and the fans. He has failed to intervene or force crazy Melynk out or atleast abide by some kind of proper structure. He has let the inmate run the asylum to the point of disgrace.

The media! How the hell does anyone in their right mind not be calling this franchise out on a daily basis baffles me. Maybe Melynk has made this team to point everyone has given up on it but I feel NHL media personality's have gone soft on this team.NHL media will over analyze every trade,signing or lack of that it becomes their daily story. If one of these media companies really did their job they would expose Melynk and his borderline Ponzi scheme he is running in this city. You could honestly do a weekly series on all the crap Melynk does and get some crazy ratings because it is modern day soap opera series bigger then peter pocklington or Bruce mcnall. Just waiting for a indictment on Melynk for fraud and it may come. Team 1200 and BG and rest of Ottawa media are so soft scared if being blacklisted that they have become untrustworthy for so many years.

The fans and city and the league deserve better then this crook and his con-man Dorion to ruin this once well respected franchise to the point the worst ran pro-sports franchise in the world!

God bless the fans who are so passionate about this team that we see past all the b.s. and criticism of every dumb move made and call the team out. We could just sit back and not care but that is not Ottawa Senators fans we are the most passionate fans and will burn you at the stake or praise you! We are forgiving and understanding to a point but to try and make us look like fools with your B.S. rebuild is a insult to our intelligence! You are not smarter then the fans , you just happen to be the owner for now but not for long!

We will watch the games , tv or maybe in person but we will not buy the bullshit any longer. We do this cause we love the team and are fighting for the average fan that does not have a fricken clue but we will fight when this team franchise and city is being taken advantage of.

I am sorry for the crazy long post but I can't hold my tongue or my post back anymore. I love the players and trust them only. Everything else in the organization other then the fans stink like B.S..

I have worked for the NHL in the stats Dept a decade ago and have ties to local media and corporate sponsorers, I don't ask for inside information but I did break the counter suit and hopefully one day I get some I do on the day that Melynk is on his way out.

Peace everyone!

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Watching young kids develop is fun but this rebuild is a joke, the moves this off season were all cost cutting moves not asset building , which is what this team should have been doing with all it's cap space.

This is not a rebuild this is a restructuring of Melynks debt due to lope holes in the LTIR CBA clause. Their is not one single hockey move that was not about cutting costs. This is a recipe for disaster of epic proportions!

Is one thing to have a youth movement but one flaw in these dumbies plan is that sometimes these prospects don't pan out. What will they do then? Sign some UFA's , B.S. we know scrooge is too cheap and the good UFA's would even take Dorion's calls? Trades well we know Dorion will get fleeced.

Melynk is every pro-sports fans worst nightmare as a owner. Washed up has been Billionaire that does not care about the team, franchise or the city. A complete embarrassment to the NHL and pro-sports. He is everything a NHL owner should not be and makes the league look bad period.

Dorion is a horrible GM and in any other organization would have never been given the job. He is nothing but a puppet for this lunatic boss and is obviously out classed by other GM's. His lies and excuses and fake contract offers, doing Melynks dirty work shows he has 0 integrity as GM that you could trust your franchise with. He is a glorified scout at best.

Allowing these two crooks to run this franchise is black eye on the NHL , while some people loath Bettman , the fact he has let this crazy owner and his joke of a organization continue to with this dog and pony show is one of Bettman's low point in his tenure.

Bettman's job is too make sure we have solid ownership of all teams and made sure they are run properly in the best interest of the players, the league and the fans. He has failed to intervene or force crazy Melynk out or atleast abide by some kind of proper structure. He has let the inmate run the asylum to the point of disgrace.

The media! How the hell does anyone in their right mind not be calling this franchise out on a daily basis baffles me. Maybe Melynk has made this team to point everyone has given up on it but I feel NHL media personality's have gone soft on this team.NHL media will over analyze every trade,signing or lack of that it becomes their daily story. If one of these media companies really did their job they would expose Melynk and his borderline Ponzi scheme he is running in this city. You could honestly do a weekly series on all the crap Melynk does and get some crazy ratings because it is modern day soap opera series bigger then peter pocklington or Bruce mcnall. Just waiting for a indictment on Melynk for fraud and it may come. Team 1200 and BG and rest of Ottawa media are so soft scared if being blacklisted that they have become untrustworthy for so many years.

The fans and city and the league deserve better then this crook and his con-man Dorion to ruin this once well respected franchise to the point the worst ran pro-sports franchise in the world!

God bless the fans who are so passionate about this team that we see past all the b.s. and criticism of every dumb move made and call the team out. We could just sit back and not care but that is not Ottawa Senators fans we are the most passionate fans and will burn you at the stake or praise you! We are forgiving and understanding to a point but to try and make us look like fools with your B.S. rebuild is a insult to our intelligence! You are not smarter then the fans , you just happen to be the owner for now but not for long!

We will watch the games , tv or maybe in person but we will not buy the bull**** any longer. We do this cause we love the team and are fighting for the average fan that does not have a fricken clue but we will fight when this team franchise and city is being taken advantage of.

I am sorry for the crazy long post but I can't hold my tongue or my post back anymore. I love the players and trust them only. Everything else in the organization other then the fans stink like B.S..

I have worked for the NHL in the stats Dept a decade ago and have ties to local media and corporate sponsorers, I don't ask for inside information but I did break the counter suit and hopefully one day I get some I do on the day that Melynk is on his way out.

Peace everyone!
Sticky this post and give this man a medal.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
BTW have we forgotten about the billion dollar lawsuit that Melnyk is involved with his former partner? What's going on with that?

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
The media! How the hell does anyone in their right mind not be calling this franchise out on a daily basis baffles me.

Good post. To the quoted point, that's an issue with NHL culture. In the NBA, you have media guys like Stephen A, and Skip Bayless teeing off on teams and players with criticism. In hockey, it's considered taboo to talk badly about any teams or players. The reporters have to tread so lightly when discussing matters like Sens ownership because heaven forbid they offend anyone.

It's the "good old boy" culture that gets instilled into everyone in hockey growing up. You work hard, be humble, and just play hockey. It's the same with the media. You report on your stories, but you don't bad mouth or throw any team under the bus, or else.

Tbh it's part of what makes hockey players great, but it's unfortunate in these situations where big time guys should be pounding out stories on how dysfunctional the Sens are, but don't because of the culture. It's essentially the elephant in the room at this point when it comes to the media.

Reactions: Deku and Silencio

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Good post. To the quoted point, that's an issue with NHL culture. In the NBA, you have media guys like Stephen A, and Skip Bayless teeing off on teams and players with criticism. In hockey, it's considered taboo to talk badly about any teams or players. The reporters have to tread so lightly when discussing matters like Sens ownership because heaven forbid they offend anyone.

It's the "good old boy" culture that gets instilled into everyone in hockey growing up. You work hard, be humble, and just play hockey. It's the same with the media. You report on your stories, but you don't bad mouth or throw any team under the bus, or else.

Tbh it's part of what makes hockey players great, but it's unfortunate in these situations where big time guys should be pounding out stories on how dysfunctional the Sens are, but don't because of the culture. It's essentially the elephant in the room at this point when it comes to the media.
This is exactly why a lot of hockey fans are tuning out the traditional media outlets and starting to turn to bloggers and freelance guys. The major media outlets, TSN, Sportsnet, Postmedia, etc. are too scared to lose their access to locker rooms, charters, etc. while the bloggers who seem to find their info/sources other ways, aren't scared of this because they have no affiliation to the team other than their fandom. Say what you want about certain bloggers/writers, the reality is most newspapers are closing up shop, so this is the way of the future.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, but I would much rather read an article written by Shackles, SensChirp, 6th Sens, Silver Seven any day over the spoon fed articles by Ken Warren or BooBoo Garrioch.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is exactly why a lot of hockey fans are tuning out the traditional media outlets and starting to turn to bloggers and freelance guys. The major media outlets, TSN, Sportsnet, Postmedia, etc. are too scared to lose their access to locker rooms, charters, etc. while the bloggers who seem to find their info/sources other ways, aren't scared of this because they have no affiliation to the team other than their fandom. Say what you want about certain bloggers/writers, the reality is most newspapers are closing up shop, so this is the way of the future.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, but I would much rather read an article written by Shackles, SensChirp, 6th Sens, Silver Seven any day over the spoon fed articles by Ken Warren or BooBoo Garrioch.

High profile media outlets are reporting on the sens situation accurately and critically now.

ESPN
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27300549/the-wysh-list-senators-violating-spirit-cba

YAHOO
Senators continue cutting costs to shockingly low levels

SPORTSNET Tim and Sid

I just wonder if the local media will start or will they continue to report on this team disingenuously. It could really help the city out if they start to ask the tough questions and actually hold these people accountable.

@ianmendes you do a great job and are one of the he only ones who consistently does ask the hard questions. It would be great if the entire media outlet of TSN1200 reported the same way these media outlets are currently delivering the message.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
High profile media outlets are reporting on the sens situation accurately and critically now.

ESPN
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27300549/the-wysh-list-senators-violating-spirit-cba

YAHOO

SPORTSNET Tim and Sid

I just wonder if the local media will start or will they continue to cower, hide and report on this team disingenuously. It could really help the city out if they start to ask the tough questions and actually hold these people accountable for destroying this franchise.

It is quite nice to have the high profile, American outlets starting to talk about this circus. The traditional hockey media outlets seem to have decided to stay quiet for the most part. Local media have just completely ignored this crisis, which is so embarrassing on so many levels for them, prompting even Ian Mendes to state that they have been "enabling" Melnyk.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

ESPN

YAHOO

SPORTSNET Tim and Sid

I just wonder if the local media will start or will they continue to report on this team disingenuously. It could really help the city out if they start to ask the tough questions and actually hold these people accountable.

@ianmendes you do a great job and are one of the he only ones who consistently does ask the hard questions. It would be great if the entire media outlet of TSN1200 reported the same way these media outlets are currently delivering the message.

It's unfortunate in that they look at it in the context of protecting their own butts, I would ask them to look at it in the context of acquiring new readership!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Can you blame them... Sens are going to be a doormat and have no household names to market.

Reactions: Sens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad