News Article: Bullying and backstabbing: the Ottawa Senators are pro sport's biggest mess

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
"Shades of Orwellian New Speak"

"The PC movement"

... kind of hyperbolic, man. Language just changes. If it didn't, we'd still be calling pants "brec", clouds "sceos", and roosters "hanas". You also don't call bundles of sticks... well, I can't type it here, but every schoolyard student knows that one.

It's one thing of accusing something of being too PC, that I get and some stuff gets silly for sure. Snd there's definitely double-speak in our society - legalese and medical jargon being a prime example at times. But language has evolved for thousands of years.

Hyperbolic for sure. I don't think that we're living in Oceania by any means, but there are certain trends that are cause for concern.

There is a certain trend of softening the language to make it seem less . . . offensive when the new jargon just means the exact same thing. Call them admin assistants, they're still secretaries. I'm not sure why midget is an ugly word, little person sounds much more demeaning to me. Like they're . . . a person but not complete. I don't get an opinion on that i guess, not being a . . little person. But some changes I have a hard time wrapping my mind around.

We're catering to the sensitivities of people to such a degree that we're becoming softer. I'll never understand why people get so offended over words, and its gotten to the point where if someone uses the wrong word they get smeared over social media. There's nothing wrong with being a secretary. They're a vital cog. Is it based out of self importance, or some delusion that if we change the language we become more than working class stiffs, or whatever the case may be.

I dunno, I just make observations and I think outloud. I'm not always right.
:P

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Secretary is not always bad. The Secretary of State is one of the highest positions in the US for foreign affairs. I guess they could change it to the Admin Assistant of State to be more politically correct.

It's not always bad but it's pretty clear what he was going for - to diminish her role and importance.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't want to make a thread and I am not sure where to ask this but why are threads being locked and posts being deleted on this board ?

Hey 2CHAINZ, Normally, you could start a private conversation with anyone in the mod team for this kind of question so as to not clog up a thread on something else, but since this appears to potentially be a question of interest for more than just yourself, I'll answer it publicly.

Threads can be locked for a number of reasons

- They will be locked when the conversation has run it's course and is no longer relevant to the OP.
- They can be locked when multiple threads are covering the same topic and conversations have begun to overlap
- They can be locked when things go off the rails and become an admin burden
- They can be locked the OP is no longer relevant (for example speculating about a potential trade could be closed if the player gets traded somewhere else)

Obviously if you're asking this, we haven't been doing the best job of being transparent about why threads got closed recently, so I'll try and ensure a mod note explaining the closure whenever I close a thread.

In terms of the most recent closures, a number of threads about the state of the team, speculating about a potential sale, boycotts, Dorion talking payroll ect where all closed at the same time because the conversation was essentially overlapping across the bunch of them. One thread (this one) was left open to be the landing spot for it all.

Hope this helps,

Reactions: Rand0m and 2CHAINZ

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Any rumors about a sale out there? Even if ridiculous? Dog days of summer are excruciating.

Only rumours im hearing of a sale is anything and everything of value on the roster must go, rinse and repeat the process, we are a discount overstock warehouse for the rest of the league!

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
With the Carolina Hurricanes revealing a new jersey concept on Twitter today, and while basically every other team in the NHL continues to improve their brand by coming up with new logos/jerseys concepts, and marketing schemes, the Ottawa Senators continue to sit on their hands. One month away from training camps opening and the Ottawa sports media scene has gone absolutely silent when it comes to the Sens. Buckle up everyone!

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
With the Carolina Hurricanes revealing a new jersey concept on Twitter today, and while basically every other team in the NHL continues to improve their brand by coming up with new logos/jerseys concepts, and marketing schemes, the Ottawa Senators continue to sit on their hands. One month away from training camps opening and the Ottawa sports media scene has gone absolutely silent when it comes to the Sens. Buckle up everyone!

There is probably not a single person left in that office with any hockey/media experience.

They may be waiting until school starts again and grabbing some students to fill in roles part-time

...or EM doesn't want to waste $$$ on boosting the team until all the FYOUS begins.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I think we are probably the only ones using our template from 07-08.

Reactions: Deku

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
There is probably not a single person left in that office with any hockey/media experience.

They may be waiting until school starts again and grabbing some students to fill in roles part-time

...or EM doesn't want to waste $$$ on boosting the team until all the FYOUS begins.
C'mon man, FYOUS was a pile of lies and is not a real thing.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I think we are probably the only ones using our template from 07-08.

Would have loved to see the look on the Adidias folks face when the Sens said they wanted to continue with the initial reebok edge design from like 10 plus years ago that was a generic design that the whole league used initially. This one's a real head scratcher though as one would figure even a poor business person would realize this is free money, unless of course the owner is so cash strapped that he can't achieve even the minor initial investment to the logo/brand change?

Reactions: Deku

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Would have loved to see the look on the Adidias folks face when the Sens said they wanted to continue with the initial reebok edge design from like 10 plus years ago that was a generic design that the whole league used initially. This one's a real head scratcher though as one would figure even a poor business person would realize this is free money, unless of course the owner is so cash strapped that he can't achieve even the minor initial investment to the logo/brand change?

Imagine being so dysfunctional your last jersey change came from a fan petition and the spinoff colors that produced (red, white).

It's not even like they came up with something original in the last decade. SENS goes back to 2008/2009.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Imagine being so dysfunctional your last jersey change came from a fan petition and the spinoff colors that produced (red, white).

It's not even like they came up with something original in the last decade. SENS goes back to 2008/2009.
The opportunity is right there for them and they've done almost nothing with it. This is exactly the sort of thing people complain about when they say this organization does a terrible job of marketing.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The opportunity is right there for them and they've done almost nothing with it.

I'm pretty sure that Jerk Store (the guy responsible for the heritage alts) even offered his services to the Sens again for free, and they balked at his offer.

I mean, we're firmly in "shooting yourself in your own leg in a crowded nightclub" territory here on this one.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Maybe, but doubtful since the sponsors are the only ones promised FYOUS.
Melnyk has a long history of lying to business partners and shareholders.

Not sure why you put so much stock into this promise, but to each their own.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I'm pretty sure that Jerk Store (the guy responsible for the heritage alts) even offered his services to the Sens again for free, and they balked at his offer.

I mean, we're firmly in "shooting yourself in your own leg in a crowded nightclub" territory here on this one.
Then I think he worked pro bono on the Melnyk Out campaign, could be mistaken though.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Wonder how long the odd piece of relic marketing will stay up around the city now that the $100 dollar budget has seemingly been rescinded, it's a really nice touch to have several year old branding hidden throughout the city featuring players long since sold off for real cash savings!

Do they bother this year with those little flags near the stadium and featured players on the front or just let it dilapidate like the rest of the organization?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The jersey talk just reminded me of Melnyk’s between 2 ferns interview where he wore an outdated jersey that isn’t even a league sponsor anymore :laugh:

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The jersey talk just reminded me of Melnyk’s between 2 ferns interview where he wore an outdated jersey that isn’t even a league sponsor anymore :laugh:
1st class production all the way.

Remember the 20+ new faces line and the cries of “no way will he get rid of everyone, Stone is going to be the captain”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad