Proposal: Building for 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

So I'll commend this exercise to the extent that it brings up a really good point. If you have the option to add Marner and Eichel, then why the heck would you risk blowing everything up in a rebuild? Even if you don't like the whole roster, if you have that core, then you keep trying to build around it. That's always going to be a better bet than just hoping to stink enough and get lucky enough to get a holy grail draft pick that might be as good as Marner/Eichel someday.

For the specifics, they greatly underpay for Eichel. He will cost more (and be worth it). And they greatly overpay for Marner. At $11m per you don't add a #5OA pick to Seth Jones to get him. Jones + Domi for Marner + Holl.

If we're going to pay up that much I'm sure we'll also add some competent right-siders like Holl, and not leave our right side a barren wasteland.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Since this has come up a lot, I'll remind everyone that Gus's injury was a longstanding thing that he played through for years. It wasn't like we had a good player get a sudden acute injury and now he is coming back. He was playing with an injury that kept from shooting well, and he is now fully healed. This is the shoulder surgery where players often call the repaired shoulder "the stronger one", it has a great success rate. I'd expect his shot to be much improved, while his legs might have taken a bit of a step back given the usual progression of age.
I hope you`re right. Really. I like him. Speed. You know it isn`t more important. Gus has good positional play, hockey IQ so he wants where he must to be.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
So I'll commend this exercise to the extent that it brings up a really good point. If you have the option to add Marner and Eichel, then why the heck would you risk blowing everything up in a rebuild? Even if you don't like the whole roster, if you have that core, then you keep trying to build around it. That's always going to be a better bet than just hoping to stink enough and get lucky enough to get a holy grail draft pick that might be as good as Marner/Eichel someday.

For the specifics, they greatly underpay for Eichel. He will cost more (and be worth it). And they greatly overpay for Marner. At $11m per you don't add a #5OA pick to Seth Jones to get him. Jones + Domi for Marner + Holl.

If we're going to pay up that much I'm sure we'll also add some competent right-siders like Holl, and not leave our right side a barren wasteland.
Holl has M-NTC.
Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Marner isn`t PO player and pay so much money only for regular season... . I t`s a pity we probably can`t get J.T. Miller.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Which guy is the better skater?? Which is the better shooter??

I don’t wanna hear about Atkinson scoring on the PK either. Like your boy Anderson, he cherry picks/looks for offensive opportunities too much and his agility/acceleration advantage is essentially gone at this point.

Do you want to hear about how many actual points Atkinson scored v. Bemstrom?

Reactions: CBJx614

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Do you want to hear about how many actual points Atkinson scored v. Bemstrom?

Not any more than you want to hear my related rant on opportunities and “usage” and about how Atkinson (and Werenski) having huge roles on the team is a main reason why they finished where they did and don’t win as many games as they should.

Reactions: Cowumbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How many of the pro-rebuild posters would still prefer to rebuild IF we could make trades for Marner and Eichel? I'd really like to know.

It occurred to me that we had the assets for it so I went through a similar exercise a couple days ago.

Jones + Domi
for
Marner + Holl

CBJ 1st 2021 + CBJ 1st 2022 + Laine + Korpisalo + Jenner
for
Eichel + Borgen

(In this scenario Buffalo has already found a team to give them a pick for Laine).

Would you do these deals?

Are they realistic?

Would you sign Hamilton to a $9m x 7, if these other deals were done?

Marner - Eichel - Atkinson
Texier - Granlund - Bjorkstrand
Nyquist - Roslovic - Bemstrom
Robinson - Dunne - Foudy
Stenlund

Gavrikov - Hamilton
Werenski - Holl
Lehtonen - Borgen
Kukan

Elvis
Kiv

How good is this team? I don't need to wait to hear your answer, I won't listen to anything other than "good". That's a great D & G with an elite top line, two good mid six lines and a blazing 4th line.

If you're curious about the financials - Before signing Granlund and Hamilton, there was $15m left over. So if not them then we can certainly overpay for somebody. Granlund or whoever would have to be a player taking a 1 year deal though. Elvis will need a ~$2m raise the following year, Werenski about a $3m raise, and Roslovic about a $2-3m raise. Nyquist might also have to be moved out a year early, depending on how much the RFAs need.

I also worked through some long term planning - it did seem like a lot to commit $30m to Marner, Eichel, and Hamilton. How would we keep any depth? The answer is that mid level contracts like Atkinson and Nyquist eventually get squeezed out. And we bet on our prospects, which I'm actually comfortable with. We don't have blue chip elite prospects, but with Marner and Eichel and Werenski and Hamilton, you don't need those. You just need good complementary prospects, which we have a bounty of. I'd be willing to bet on the majority of Chinakhov, Marchenko, Voronkov, Angle, Foudy, Holm, Dunne, Bemstrom, Foudy, Texier, and Peeke to be able to make some kind of contribution. We're not going to be short of players that can skate next to Marner or skate next to Eichel. We might even have a few options pull through.

The long term contracts I'd insist on keeping are:

Marner $11m
Eichel $10m
Bjorkstrand $5.5m
Roslovic $4.5m

Hamilton $9m
Werenski $8m
Gavrikov $4m
Elvis $6m

So it's a clear preference for me to load up like this rather than blow it up. If it turns out that we can't get these kind of prices then I'd have to think about whether it would be worth it, but at these prices, I'm all in.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
How many of the pro-rebuild posters would still prefer to rebuild IF we could make trades for Marner and Eichel? I'd really like to know.

It occurred to me that we had the assets for it so I went through a similar exercise a couple days ago.

Jones + Domi
for
Marner + Holl

for
Eichel + Borgen

(In this scenario Buffalo has already found a team to give them a pick for Laine).

Are they realistic?

Robinson - Dunne - Foudy
Stenlund

Gavrikov - Hamilton
Werenski - Holl
Lehtonen - Borgen
Kukan

Elvis
Kiv

How good is this team? I don't need to wait to hear your answer, I won't listen to anything other than "good". That's a great D & G with an elite top line, two good mid six lines and a blazing 4th line.

If you're curious about the financials - Before signing Granlund and Hamilton, there was $15m left over. So if not them then we can certainly overpay for somebody. Granlund or whoever would have to be a player taking a 1 year deal though. Elvis will need a ~$2m raise the following year, Werenski about a $3m raise, and Roslovic about a $2-3m raise. Nyquist might also have to be moved out a year early, depending on how much the RFAs need.

I also worked through some long term planning - it did seem like a lot to commit $30m to Marner, Eichel, and Hamilton. How would we keep any depth? The answer is that mid level contracts like Atkinson and Nyquist eventually get squeezed out. And we bet on our prospects, which I'm actually comfortable with. We don't have blue chip elite prospects, but with Marner and Eichel and Werenski and Hamilton, you don't need those. You just need good complementary prospects, which we have a bounty of. I'd be willing to bet on the majority of Chinakhov, Marchenko, Voronkov, Angle, Foudy, Holm, Dunne, Bemstrom, Foudy, Texier, and Peeke to be able to make some kind of contribution. We're not going to be short of players that can skate next to Marner or skate next to Eichel. We might even have a few options pull through.

Marner $11m
Eichel $10m
Bjorkstrand $5.5m
Roslovic $4.5m

Hamilton $9m
Werenski $8m
Gavrikov $4m
Elvis $6m

So it's a clear preference for me to load up like this rather than blow it up. If it turns out that we can't get these kind of prices then I'd have to think about whether it would be worth it, but at these prices, I'm all in.
Definitely not against it... but I just can't see a world in which Buffalo takes Laine while giving up Eichel... headache for headache?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Definitely not against it... but I just can't see a world in which Buffalo takes Laine while giving up Eichel... headache for headache?

Read the next sentence.

I could have made it a three team deal on our end but there's no difference between us trading Laine for a pick to send to Buffalo, and having Buffalo send Laine for a pick.

Reactions: CPTN71

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

See I was all in on this thought process before I listened to Front and Nationwide today.

It seems from what Porty suggests, and it is Porty so you have to take it for a grain of salt and realize its probably just his opinion not based off sources, but he says the reason why Jones isn't buying in is because he doesn't want to go through a rebuild (which you have suggested, credit to you). Which if true, must mean the Jackets have suggested to Jones and his team that this is a multi year process and not a quick fix.

So while I do think this team is better than it showed last year, it doesn't appear Jarmo and JD agree and it could be a few years before we're willing to truly add pieces to make us better today rather than tomorrow.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
See I was all in on this thought process before I listened to Front and Nationwide today.

It seems from what Porty suggests, and it is Porty so you have to take it for a grain of salt and realize its probably just his opinion not based off sources, but he says the reason why Jones isn't buying in is because he doesn't want to go through a rebuild (which you have suggested, credit to you). Which if true, must mean the Jackets have suggested to Jones and his team that this is a multi year process and not a quick fix.

So while I do think this team is better than it showed last year, it doesn't appear Jarmo and JD agree and it could be a few years before we're willing to truly add pieces to make us better today rather than tomorrow.

So your preference is to load up? You're just saying it appears that Jarmo and JD are going to unload?

I also wouldn't assume that Jones knows exactly what moves Jarmo and JD can make. Jarmo and JD might not even know until the end of next month when talks heat up.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020

Jones + Domi
for
Marner + Holl

for
Eichel + Borgen

Are they realistic?

Robinson - Dunne - Foudy
Stenlund

Gavrikov - Hamilton
Werenski - Holl
Lehtonen - Borgen
Kukan

Elvis
Kiv

Marner $11m
Eichel $10m
Bjorkstrand $5.5m
Roslovic $4.5m

Hamilton $9m
Werenski $8m
Gavrikov $4m
Elvis $6m

I'm a rebuild guy because I've never seen too many teams, especially in a small market, get elite talent without drafting it. If you are telling me we keep Werenski and add elite talent in Eichel and Marner in their prime, I'd take it and hope we do our best to build around those three. I just don't think this is very realistic, especially the Hamilton part. I love the creativity though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm a rebuild guy because I've never seen too many teams, especially in a small market, get elite talent without drafting it. If you are telling me we keep Werenski and add elite talent in Eichel and Marner in their prime, I'd take it and hope we do our best to build around those three. I just don't think this is very realistic, especially the Hamilton part. I love the creativity though.

Well I think we're basically in agreement then. I think it will be tough to make this happen. But if Jarmo talks to Dubas and Adams and Hamilton and Z and finds that this is an option, he has to go for it!

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So your preference is to load up? You're just saying it appears that Jarmo and JD are going to unload?

I also wouldn't assume that Jones knows exactly what moves Jarmo and JD can make. Jarmo and JD might not even know until the end of next month when talks heat up.

My preference is still to do what I said before. I'll call it, rebuild on the fly. Not a complete tear down but adding assets that help in the long term (like a Marner, or Eichel) but with an eye on the future as well. We're not making the playoffs next year, we'll likely be high in the lottery, and I am OK with that. But you don't need to only acquire futures, if that makes sense.

But going off of FAN podcast, it seems Portzline suggests its going to be more of the traditional Red Wings/Senators style rebuild. Rather than rebuilding on the fly

Reactions: LJ7201

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
How many of the pro-rebuild posters would still prefer to rebuild IF we could make trades for Marner and Eichel? I'd really like to know. So it's a clear preference for me to load up like this rather than blow it up. If it turns out that we can't get these kind of prices then I'd have to think about whether it would be worth it, but at these prices, I'm all in.

Dude, I am all in on your plan.. your hired

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My preference is still to do what I said before. I'll call it, rebuild on the fly. Not a complete tear down but adding assets that help in the long term (like a Marner, or Eichel) but with an eye on the future as well. We're not making the playoffs next year, we'll likely be high in the lottery, and I am OK with that. But you don't need to only acquire futures, if that makes sense.

But going off of FAN podcast, it seems Portzline suggests its going to be more of the traditional Red Wings/Senators style rebuild. Rather than rebuilding on the fly

I think I would normally prefer your on-the-fly rebuild to a total rebuild. Certainly players as good as Marner or Eichel would be worth having in a couple years!

I think we would need some buy-in though. If we're trading for Marner or Eichel and we're not immediately trying to win, then that might cause dissension. Likewise with Werenski and Bjorkstrand and Elvis. Are they going to stay on board with this? Winning solves a lot of problems. And if we're not winning then we're going to start losing our assets anyways.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
If cam is on the first line, we're tanking/rebuilding. So if you want to put together a not-all-that-competitive hockey team, sure. Guess it depends on the goal of the '21-'22 season - and I'm not saying a full rebuild would be a bad thing.

You may want to re-read my posts. I never said Cam should be on the top line. No need to create strawmen.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

Jones + Domi
for
Marner + Holl

for
Eichel + Borgen

Are they realistic?

Robinson - Dunne - Foudy
Stenlund

Gavrikov - Hamilton
Werenski - Holl
Lehtonen - Borgen
Kukan

Elvis
Kiv

Marner $11m
Eichel $10m
Bjorkstrand $5.5m
Roslovic $4.5m

Hamilton $9m
Werenski $8m
Gavrikov $4m
Elvis $6m

So overall I like it. I'd drop Borgen out of the deal and then let Buffalo have their choice of only one 1st round pick of ours (my guess is they'd take the sure-fire [and sooner] top-5 pick, but maybe they'd want an extra Wright lottery ticket). We'd probably have to add someone else to make up for it, maybe one of Foudy/Bem/Tex/Voronkov or a 2nd rounder, but I'd think I'd rather do that and keep the first round pick they don't want (either a top-5 pick for us or insurance if we have an awful year next year, depending on which they choose).

If Buffalo can flip Laine to LA for the #8 or something (which I could see LA being willing to do) that's two top-8 picks for Buffalo, plus another nice piece (any of those aforementioned young guys) plus potentially a mid-long-term answer at goalie if they can get him re-signed, plus a good locker room guy (even if Jenner isn't there for the long haul, having a guy like him would be good for a young team in a questionable culture). That seems fair for a disgruntled player with for all intents and purposes a public trade request and a potentially scary injury, even as good as Eichel is.

Could maybe also do without Holm and Domi in the Jones-Marner deal, keep Domi as a 2/3C (with Roz as the other 2/3C, potentially Tex as well) and not have to worry about signing Granlund and can roll with Werenski, Hamilton, Gavrikov, Peeke, Lehtonen, Kukan, MDZ, Harrington and/or maybe a bottom pair FA signing.

The problem is you're relying on all those things to hit. If one or two don't then it hurts things. I'm not going to say it's disastrous to have any of Hamilton or Marner or Eichel signed for 4+ years, but it puts you in a bit of a limbo if you only get one rather than if you either have all 3 (or at least 2) of them or plan for a "conventional" rebuild.

You bring up Hamilton a lot. Do you have any indication he'd want to sign here? I haven't seen anything of the sort. (I'm including it for this hypothetical. Would love if something like that were true, I've just heard nothing of the sort.)

ETA: Looking over that roster, I think I'd want to try to re-sign Foligno, if you're going to give up Jenner. That's a lot of grit/sandpaper out the door in a short time (Foligno, Anderson, Savard, Dubois, Dubinsky, Jenner...). I tend to think it's overrated to be honest, but you need some, and looking over that lineup, I'm honestly not sure if we'd have any. Maybe Dunne? Sort of Robinson/Foudy, I guess, but not really?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So overall I like it. I'd drop Borgen out of the deal and then let Buffalo have their choice of only one 1st round pick of ours (my guess is they'd take the sure-fire [and sooner] top-5 pick, but maybe they'd want an extra Wright lottery ticket). We'd probably have to add someone else to make up for it, maybe one of Foudy/Bem/Tex/Voronkov or a 2nd rounder, but I'd think I'd rather do that and keep the first round pick they don't want (either a top-5 pick for us or insurance if we have an awful year next year, depending on which they choose).

If Buffalo can flip Laine to LA for the #8 or something (which I could see LA being willing to do) that's two top-8 picks for Buffalo, plus another nice piece (any of those aforementioned young guys) plus potentially a mid-long-term answer at goalie if they can get him re-signed, plus a good locker room guy (even if Jenner isn't there for the long haul, having a guy like him would be good for a young team in a questionable culture). That seems fair for a disgruntled player with for all intents and purposes a public trade request and a potentially scary injury, even as good as Eichel is.

Could maybe also do without Holm and Domi in the Jones-Marner deal, keep Domi as a 2/3C (with Roz as the other 2/3C, potentially Tex as well) and not have to worry about signing Granlund and can roll with Werenski, Hamilton, Gavrikov, Peeke, Lehtonen, Kukan, MDZ, Harrington and/or maybe a bottom pair FA signing.

The problem is you're relying on all those things to hit. If one or two don't then it hurts things. I'm not going to say it's disastrous to have any of Hamilton or Marner or Eichel signed for 4+ years, but it puts you in a bit of a limbo if you only get one rather than if you either have all 3 (or at least 2) of them or plan for a "conventional" rebuild.

You bring up Hamilton a lot. Do you have any indication he'd want to sign here? I haven't seen anything of the sort. (I'm including it for this hypothetical. Would love if something like that were true, I've just heard nothing of the sort.)

ETA: Looking over that roster, I think I'd want to try to re-sign Foligno, if you're going to give up Jenner. That's a lot of grit/sandpaper out the door in a short time (Foligno, Anderson, Savard, Dubois, Dubinsky, Jenner...). I tend to think it's overrated to be honest, but you need some, and looking over that lineup, I'm honestly not sure if we'd have any. Maybe Dunne? Sort of Robinson/Foudy, I guess, but not really?

- If you could convince Buffalo to forego that extra 1st rounder we'd be sending them, then sure. If it's possible, great. If it's not possible, I'm still happy to make the deal.

- Getting Holl is very important, I'm not sure about Borgen. But they're both RD and we're going to need help there, even if we're so fortunate to be graced with Hamilton. Keeping Domi in lieu of Granlund is fine but we can't go with only Hamilton and Peeke as RDs. Holl is only paid $2m per but any defender like him would get $4m on the open market. There are so few RD's making the market this year.

- I don't know what Hamilton would want, but a couple things - at $9m x 7 there's a good chance we'd be the highest bidder. And FWIW he's probably not the type to complain about the bar scene in Columbus.

- I don't think it would be disastrous to end up with 2/3 of Marner, Eichel, and Hamilton. It would still be a big upgrade to our team! If we don't get Hamilton then we might trade for Schmidt or Dumba. A clear step down but it gives at least a workable D group.

- Fair point on the grit. I didn't remember to stock up on it. Maybe a Copp or J.T. Miller trade could be worked in. We have a lot of soft ELC forwards that we could trade if needed.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Borgen is pretty highly valued in Buffalo, so I don’t see him being moved. Risto is the guy on the block, and I don’t think he’s a fit for CBJ.

What do you think the chances are of this offer

5th OA 2021 + 8th OA 2021 + CBJ 1st 2022 + Korpisalo + Jenner

for

Eichel + Risto

Risto is obviously not ideal but we're going to need to get RD from somewhere. Colin Miller instead?

I don't watch the Sabres much and I don't know how those guys have played lately. Where do you think Risto is a fit?

Reactions: Gimli

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Jones + Domi
for
Marner + Holl

for
Eichel + Borgen

Are they realistic?

Robinson - Dunne - Foudy
Stenlund

Gavrikov - Hamilton
Werenski - Holl
Lehtonen - Borgen
Kukan

Elvis
Kiv

Marner $11m
Eichel $10m
Bjorkstrand $5.5m
Roslovic $4.5m

Hamilton $9m
Werenski $8m
Gavrikov $4m
Elvis $6m

If we can get Marner and Eichel while keeping Tex, Bemstrom, Foudy and Peeke you have to do it.
I would think about splitting up Marner and Eichel, both can carry a line; they would be great together though.

Reactions: majormajor

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I'm a believer in Bemstrom but I think if you hold Cam to the same standards they're probably the same level, and the same type of streaky scorer at this point. You put them on the fourth line and they might not score for a month, you put them with the right playmaker and they might score ten in a month. Or you put them with the right playmaker and they might score two.
Thing is Cam goes a month without scoring but is never on the fourth line..

I like Bemstrom more than Cam. He’s a better skater, has a better shot and should only get better (only 22).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad