Proposal: Building for 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
First the most urgent need: Coaching

- Hire Gallant as headcoach
- Hire Jukka Jalonen as 2nd

I expect this duo would get the most out of the players. Gallant is probably well-known here and need no explanations. Jalonen has a history of success with Finnish national team and also on other surfaces. He always gets the best out of an underdog and the teams usually play much better than its parts.

Second: Centers

- Throw 8M x 5yrs at UFA Krejci and see if it sticks
- Offer Granlund 4M x 3yrs

Both are playmakers that this team lacks. Granlund has actually played 2C this year in Nashville.

Third: Stay-at-home D

- Offer Jani Hakanpää 2M x 3Yrs

Fourth:

- Offer Laine 7,5M x 2yrs or trade him for other pieces.

Fifth:

- get contract extensions done with Werenski & Jones. If that is not likely to happen - trade atleast one for C-help

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Woah woah 5 years for 34 year old Krejci? Granlund? We’re not THAT desperate

Theese two are what is needed - playmakers. Obviously the contracts are a tad high, but I see them as fits. In a perfect world I`d like players like Hintz, Marner, Barkov, Aho, Pettersson etc. but guys like them are untouchable.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
IMHO

a coach:
- if not Torts and I don`t think he`s a problem, IMHO Bob Hartley is ideal (what I know of course), simply a coach who prefers offense

contracts:
- offter Laine 1x7,5 million
- get contract extension Jones
- get contract extension Lehtonen

the roster:

the wingers (according to age, plus Chinakhov)

18-2526-3031-more
Chinakhov /20/ Robinson /26/Nyquist /32/
Foudy /21/Bjorkstrand /26/Atkinson /32/
Texier /22/Jenner /28/
Bemstrom /22/
Laine /23/
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
the centers (according to age)

18-2526-30
Foudy /21/Domi /26/
Texier /22/
Roslovic /24/
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Questions:
Will Bemstrom progress and was his play only the problem of the second season?
Will Laine be finally consistent?
How with Foudy and Texier, can they play in the center?
Will they progress?
Is it time to trade Atkinson?

So, we have too the young team but young players must play many minutes because they are TOP 6 player (style). On th second hand we need two experienced players - a winger and a center. My idea, we can sign Stastny, he`s experienced center with very good hockey vision. Or your favourite Danault but IMHO Stastny would be better because he could teach our young and than it would be a place for them.

EDIT:
offer Texier too of course I though his contract`ll finish in 2021/22 season. Alexandre Texier at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:
Reactions: LJ7201

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Theese two are what is needed - playmakers. Obviously the contracts are a tad high, but I see them as fits. In a perfect world I`d like players like Hintz, Marner, Barkov, Aho, Pettersson etc. but guys like them are untouchable.

I’m not opposed to bringing in Krejci, just not for 5 years. That would be in contention for the worst contract in the NHL. I was thinking more like 2 years.

Granlund is fine but is he better as a wing or center? We have enough guys who are meh at center. I wouldn’t hate it but we could do better, I’d hope

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Just this offseason:
-RFAs are Laine, Texier, Stenlund, Sherwood, Peeke
-UFAs are Grigorenko, Dalpe, Matteau, MacInnis, Lehtonen, Del Zotto, Bayreuther

Next offseason:
-RFAs are Roslovic, Carlsson, Bemstrom, Werenski
-UFAs are Jenner, Merzlikins, Korpisalo, Harrington, Kukan, Jones, Gerbe, Robinson, Domi

The only players not up for any kind of free agency by July 1, 2022 are Atkinson (signed through June 30, 2025), Bjorkstrand (signed through June 30, 2026), Gavrikov (signed through June 30, 2023), and Nyquist (signed through June 30, 2023), as well as a few guys currently in Cleveland (Angle, Christansen, and Berni).

Any planning for '21-'22 must address quite a few of these contract decisions.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^
Other than Jones & Werenski I don't see any of the others as cap busters. Laine is a pretty sure bet for 7.5 next year;hard to say about the following year. Get Jones & Zach extended and the rest is easy. Can't get them to extend, AMF and the rest are easier.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Krejci is a good target. I think he could be had for $6m x 3, maybe less. He adds a ton of experience and playmaking ability. He might be a great center for Laine.

I prefer Danault just because he can be matched up against the opponent's best every night. I don't think Krejci can do that anymore. So then who does it? Who knows, maybe we land both.

I'm not as interested in Granlund. He could be third line filler if we're short there but I have other targets in mind. Andrew Copp is the total package, I'd love to trade for him.

Here's a lineup I sketched out a couple weeks back.

Nyquist-Danault-Atkinson
Foudy/Rob-Roslovic-Laine
Copp-Texier-Bjorkstrand

I'm very happy to have Roslovic at center for next year. Obviously he is not the total package yet but if he can just round out a little bit more we've got ourselves a super skilled 2C.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bookker

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For the D I think Hakanpää is an excellent suggestion, though with him I think the secret is out. $2m isn't going to be the top bid. He's worth more I just don't know how much.

Lehtonen-Jones
Werenski-Peeke
Gavrikov-Hakanpää

Or more realistic pairings:

Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Hakanpää
Lehtonen-Peeke

The real difference in quality isn't going to be small changes in personnel, it will come, hopefully, from some improved coaching of the D. I see a lot of room for improvement there.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Krejci is a good target. I think he could be had for $6m x 3, maybe less. He adds a ton of experience and playmaking ability. He might be a great center for Laine.

I prefer Danault just because he can be matched up against the opponent's best every night. I don't think Krejci can do that anymore. So then who does it? Who knows, maybe we land both.

I'm not as interested in Granlund. He could be third line filler if we're short there but I have other targets in mind. Andrew Copp is the total package, I'd love to trade for him.

Here's a lineup I sketched out a couple weeks back.

Nyquist-Danault-Atkinson
Foudy/Rob-Roslovic-Laine
Copp-Texier-Bjorkstrand

I'm very happy to have Roslovic at center for next year. Obviously he is not the total package yet but if he can just round out a little bit more we've got ourselves a super skilled 2C.
Copp... I doubt. Nyquist with Atkinson.. too old.
Domi is very good in the offense he must be better in defense

Nyquist--Domi--Bjorkstrand
Bemstrom--Roslovic--Laine
Foudy--Texier--Atkinson
Robinson--Jenner--xxx

Bemstrom... if he would progress of course.

Werenski, Jones
Oleksiak, Peeke
Gavrikov, Lehtonen

Chinakhov, Dunne, Carlsson, Bayreuther, Berni... .

IMHO Oleksiak would be great, give him higher contract and I hope we could get him.
We must think about our prospect we`re building the new team. We can`t make mistake and buy free agents. We did it in the past and remember our results.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Copp... I doubt. Nyquist with Atkinson.. too old.
Domi is very good in the offense he must be better in defense

Nyquist--Domi--Bjorkstrand
Bemstrom--Roslovic--Laine
Foudy--Texier--Atkinson
Robinson--Jenner--xxx

Bemstrom... if he would progress of course.

Werenski, Jones
Oleksiak, Peeke
Gavrikov, Lehtonen

Chinakhov, Dunne, Carlsson, Bayreuther, Berni... .

IMHO Oleksiak would be great, give him higher contract and I hope we could get him.
We must think about our prospect we`re building the new team. We can`t make mistake and buy free agents. We did it in the past and remember our results.

One of Domi or Laine has to go, we can't have that many super-mercurial players at the same time. And we can't have both Roslovic and Domi at top six center. One of those spots has to be for a center that can face top competition.

Oleksiak would be a fantastic add. But you can tell from the way the Stars are playing this that they're just waiting until after the expansion draft to sign him. I doubt he hits UFA.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
One of Domi or Laine has to go, we can't have that many super-mercurial players at the same time. And we can't have both Roslovic and Domi at top six center. One of those spots has to be for a center that can face top competition.

Oleksiak would be a fantastic add. But you can tell from the way the Stars are playing this that they're just waiting until after the expansion draft to sign him. I doubt he hits UFA.

No they don't.

If we get a center and let Domi play wing where he belongs his defensive deficiencies can be covered up. He's been mostly a mess this year but he brings an element that this team needs, and its vision and playmaking ability. I'm not for trading Laine at all, obviously, but I don't think you just throw Domi away for the hell of it either. He's a top 6 forward, and we're not in positions to be picky about our talent.

If Domi is in a package that brings you said center? Then fine. If he's traded for a different top 6 forward, then fine, but not picks or prospects.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No they don't.

If we get a center and let Domi play wing where he belongs his defensive deficiencies can be covered up.

I get the idea but this isn't what happened to us when he was at wing. He scored almost nothing from the wing and was scored on frequently.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I get the idea but this isn't what happened to us when he was at wing. He scored almost nothing from the wing and was scored on frequently.

Well yeah but this team was an absolute tire fire all season. Other than Bjorkstrand for much of the season and some bursts from Roslovic has anyone looked competent offensively for this year?

Put Domi with an offensive coach, with a center who can keep up and help him drive play, and a shooter on the other wing, and then we'll see what he's made of. You've said it yourself that this team has no identity or structure of most of this year, and that players like Texier should be given some sort of pass for not scoring a lot. Why not Domi too? And I'm not even a fan of his.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well yeah but this team was an absolute tire fire all season. Other than Bjorkstrand for much of the season and some bursts from Roslovic has anyone looked competent offensively for this year?

Put Domi with an offensive coach, with a center who can keep up and help him drive play, and a shooter on the other wing, and then we'll see what he's made of. You've said it yourself that this team has no identity or structure of most of this year, and that players like Texier should be given some sort of pass for not scoring a lot. Why not Domi too? And I'm not even a fan of his.

Texier doesn't get buried with goals against.

I worry that Domi is a difficult player to coach, same with Laine. I worry that it's going to be too tall a task for a coach to come in and figure out how to make this whole crew work together. The inconsistency is a big worry too, when these guys have an off night, it really spreads the funk around the roster.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Dont give a single dollar for Krejci.

Even go with huge package for Eichel or other top center. Or get legit 2C being 1C.
Top4 dman.

If Laine is traded comeback has to be "1C"
If Laine is traded we need new topline winger. Huge summer coming up for organization with right calls we are back in track with wrong ones we are doomed for next 3 to 5 years

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Texier doesn't get buried with goals against.

I worry that Domi is a difficult player to coach, same with Laine. I worry that it's going to be too tall a task for a coach to come in and figure out how to make this whole crew work together. The inconsistency is a big worry too, when these guys have an off night, it really spreads the funk around the roster.
One thing is sure, that is that especially Laine's value on the trade marked has dropped significant and so has the salary that he can demand.

That lead to the fact that many dreamers is affraid to trade him, for a current better player. After all it is all Torts guilt that he are in a slump. Torts may in fact be part of the problem, but this most lay in the hands of Laine. Sorry Laine fans.
Dont give a single dollar for Krejci.

Even go with huge package for Eichel or other top center. Or get legit 2C being 1C.
Top4 dman.

If Laine is traded comeback has to be "1C"
If Laine is traded we need new topline winger. Huge summer coming up for organization with right calls we are back in track with wrong ones we are doomed for next 3 to 5 years
1. So yea' we should trade for a 1C, but I am not sure that he will return that. As it looks now any idiot will understand that there are a significant risk in trade in Laine. NHL managers is not idiot.
There maybe one that is willing to gamble on him, but they ain't stupid and also understand that Laine value has dropped.
2. It do not depend on Laine leaving, if we needs a top winger. As things standing now, Laine leaving will just mean an improvement, as he has played most of this season.
Then again, he has actually improved in the last two games and been a little better defensive (in my point of view). So there is hope. So I am not sure I would trade Laine. For sure only if the return is really good.

This kind of fantasy debate is however point less. How does one value any player from this season?
They are all very disconnected and probably all hesitate on passing to each other, which really hurt the offense.
Sadly some of that hesitation is grounded in the reality, that a few of the guys, has really sucked, when it comes to receive passes and that kills everything. Everything.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Maybe think about a blockbuster with Buffalo if talks with Werenski doesnt go well?

Zach Werenski RFA 2022 5M
Max Domi UFA 2022 5,3M
Gavrikov UFA 2023 2,8M
Toronto 1st 2021
Tampa 1st 2021

for

Jack Eichel UFA 2026 10M
Rasmus Ristolainen UFA 2022 5,4M

Domi - Ristolainen is basically a wash. so its

Werenski
Gavrikov
2 x 1st rounders albeit late ones

for

Eichel

Reactions: I3LI3

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
To me all the talk of building for next year might be avoiding the real issue and that is building for the future. The key to that is getting Jones signature on an extension as soon as possible. If Jarmo gets it next year becomes a bigger priority but there still needs to be a longer term approach imo. If Jones doesn't sign its rebuild time.

The grittiness of the past is gone with the loss of Foligno, PLD, Savard & Andy. The defense first emphasis of Torts is probably going to be gone as well. Patching the team together for next year could be a shortsighted approach. For example adding Krejci might help next year but what does it do for the long term problem at 1C? If there was an heir apparent it would be a good idea. With no one in the pipeline to fill that spot I'm not sure I'd do it. I'd rather get a Danault at less cost and for a longer term.

If Laine & Domi can be resurrected under a new coach, Jones & Zach are signed long term, the kept G meets expectations, Ros, Tex, Peeke, et al develop as expected the only real problem is 1C. Lots of ifs there. Jarmo (unfortunately its him) has his work cut out for him.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Maybe think about a blockbuster with Buffalo if talks with Werenski doesnt go well?

Zach Werenski RFA 2022 5M
Max Domi UFA 2022 5,3M
Gavrikov UFA 2023 2,8M
Toronto 1st 2021
Tampa 1st 2021

for

Jack Eichel UFA 2026 10M
Rasmus Ristolainen UFA 2022 5,4M

Domi - Ristolainen is basically a wash. so its

Werenski
Gavrikov
2 x 1st rounders albeit late ones

for

Eichel
Sabres fans (and reporters) have made it abundantly clear that unless a top-line center is coming back Eichel isn't going anywhere. And they especially aren't going to be interested in a deal based on an LD - not with Dahlin already ready to go.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
To me all the talk of building for next year might be avoiding the real issue and that is building for the future. The key to that is getting Jones signature on an extension as soon as possible. If Jarmo gets it next year becomes a bigger priority but there still needs to be a longer term approach imo. If Jones doesn't sign its rebuild time.

Agree 100%. If Jones stays and we hire the right coach we can get reload quickly to the ELITE CBJ FRANCHISE we have been (you know sneaking into the playoffs).

If Jones wants out then it certainly changes things and likely pushes things back a year (at least).

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Las Vegas TOP 6 centers were Karlsson and Eakin it was in SC final. Roslovic has improved and Domi too. Laine didn't play in Domi and the line Grigorenko--Rislovic--Laine was in defense good. Yesterday although he didn't have his day he didn't have problem to pass when Detroit's player use for forchecking. Only I hope I won't Grigorenko in this line more.

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020
Sabres fans (and reporters) have made it abundantly clear that unless a top-line center is coming back Eichel isn't going anywhere. And they especially aren't going to be interested in a deal based on an LD - not with Dahlin already ready to go.
Do you mean a top line center prospect? Cause if the Sabres think they can get a top line center in return for their top line center, well Eichel isn't going anywhere. I think the CBJ get outbid no matter what for any Eichel trade unless Adams wants to do one of his old teams a solid ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad