Proposal: Building for 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Plus Del Zotto isnt a young guy anymore. Dont see him being high on jumping from 1 year deal to 1 year deal knowing he played well enough to get a bit more

Yes, my thinking is that he definitely walks if the Jackets don't show some appreciation. If that year doesn't get him a raise then he's done here.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Part of the appeal of J.T. Miller is that he shouldn't cost nearly that much. If Canucks fans are to be believed it would cost a late 1st and a good prospect.

By the way, I think we can be excited for Nyquist's return. His surgery has a high success rate and he got it to fix a chronic problem, so in some respects he might be better than before.
If Gus is fine it's great for us. Similar like J.T. Miller value. So the lines could be (IMHO of course):

J.T. Miller--Domi--Bjorkstrand
Nyquist--Roslovic--Laine
xxx--xxx--Atkinson
xxx--xxx--xxx

XXX - different combinations.

And we wouldn't need 1C.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Somebody else will not low ball Del Zotto, so CBJ might as well make a respectable offer if they truly mean they would like to extend him.

2x2, 2x2.5 something along those lines.

Are we talking about the same Michael Del Zotto? I was one of the few people here who complimented his game but if he wants near 2 million on a multi year deal he can walk. His whole appeal of playing here was Torts and he’s gone. He was on a tryout for a reason. To go from league minimum to 2.5 million is a jump I don’t think is worth it especially when we likely have Carlsson, Harrington, and Kukan here already.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Are we talking about the same Michael Del Zotto? I was one of the few people here who complimented his game but if he wants near 2 million on a multi year deal he can walk. His whole appeal of playing here was Torts and he’s gone. He was on a tryout for a reason. To go from league minimum to 2.5 million is a jump I don’t think is worth it especially when we likely have Carlsson, Harrington, and Kukan here already.
If we plan on having to trade 1 of Jones/Werenski I think it makes sense to keep a reliable veteran like Del Zotto around. It’s not like we’re signing an over the hill guy to a long term big money deal.

A 2 year deal isn’t exactly a high risk in my mind and I prefer him over those 3 you mentioned.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If we plan on having to trade 1 of Jones/Werenski I think it makes sense to keep a reliable veteran like Del Zotto around. It’s not like we’re signing an over the hill guy to a long term big money deal.

A 2 year deal isn’t exactly a high risk in my mind and I prefer him over those 3 you mentioned.

I don’t plan on trading Jones or Werenski unless I have to.

You don’t think MDZ is an over the hill player? I do. He’s not ancient but his best days are gone. He’s been largely meh the past few years. I wouldn’t invest multi year contracts into guys like that.

I prefer him to those guys as well but the margins aren’t bad enough to give him a multi year deal over it. We gave one to Scott Harrington and immediately regretted it.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
My MDZ thoughts....a guy who can give us respectable offense and defense. He played well with Kukan in the first 1/3 of the year and was very good paired with Jones (limited sample but they were better defensively than Jones-Zach). I think 2 yrs at $1.75M would be agreeable to both parties. But I’d go $2M if that’s what it takes.

While we’re at it I’d try to lock in Lehtonen for 2yrs at $1.5-1.75M. Peeke isn’t currently ready for anything above 6-7 role.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t plan on trading Jones or Werenski unless I have to.

You don’t think MDZ is an over the hill player? I do. He’s not ancient but his best days are gone. He’s been largely meh the past few years. I wouldn’t invest multi year contracts into guys like that.

I prefer him to those guys as well but the margins aren’t bad enough to give him a multi year deal over it. We gave one to Scott Harrington and immediately regretted it.

I never saw any reason to give Harrington that deal, I see it for MDZ. Much better player, I think the margin justifies the deal. Carlsson and Harrington should be waived.

I could see us going back to MDZ-Jones to try out some new options with Werenski.

MDZ - Jones
Werenski - Lehto/Kuks/Peeke
Gavrikov - Lehto/Kuks/Peeke

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Give him two options, one year at 1.25 or 2 years for a million each. If he doesn't like either, pull them both and say thanks for your contribution to club and good luck in the future and on the market

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
IMHO a couple Gavrikov-Lehtonen looked very good. I liked Carlsson too. IMHO he's underrated. Although Mikko has very good skating, good on position and has very good the first pass. So if we would sign him we could try him with Werenski.

MDZ, Jones
Werenski, Lehtonen
Gavrikov, Carlsson
Peeke...

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I am for tanking for two years while trying to play exciting hockey and get the offense going. MDZ fits this. 2 x $2 mill is fine by me.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
MDZ shouldn’t be paid more than 1.5M a year. Anything more and that becomes potential a cap liability (see Scott Harrington and Dean Kukan). He’s awfully prone to turning over the puck in his own end and just ok in the offensive zone.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
MDZ shouldn’t be paid more than 1.5M a year. Anything more and that becomes potential a cap liability (see Scott Harrington and Dean Kukan). He’s awfully prone to turning over the puck in his own end and just ok in the offensive zone.

I disagree. Even with Jones & Z taking up 18mm I don't see cap issues in the near future. If Domi goes its even less of an issue. 2mm or even 2.5 for 2 to 3 years is not going to bust the cap for the Jackets.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I disagree. Even with Jones & Z taking up 18mm I don't see cap issues in the near future. If Domi goes its even less of an issue. 2mm or even 2.5 for 2 to 3 years is not going to bust the cap for the Jackets.

This could be our defense in 22-23 if we resign Jones and Werensk for $18 million.

Jones 9.5
Werenski 8.5
Gav 2.8
2 of MDZ and Lehtonen or replace with a similar guy 3.5
Peeke 1.5
Rookie contract 800k

7 D signed for 26.6 plus a couple 2 way contracts to fill it out.

Gav will get a promotion or move on. Maybe another rookie moves up in 23-24. If Peeke shows he is 2D he’ll get a raise. But the D is set if we add a good pick this year and Peeke pans out.

The Sharks have $26.5 tied up in Karlsson, Burns, and Vlasic alone. Those guys are 30, 36, and 34 and signed for years to come. That is a problem.

Colorado has $12.3 million tied up in Gerard, Toewes, and Graves in 22-23. What is Makar going to get? I don’t bridge him. I go 8 x whatever. $8.5 million? More? Lock him up until he is 30. By that time it is time to blow it up and rebuild anyway. That gets them to about $22 mill and they need a few more guys. The same range as the CBJ if we invest $18 mill in Seth and ZW.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
This could be our defense in 22-23 if we resign Jones and Werensk for $18 million.

Jones 9.5
Werenski 8.5
Gav 2.8
2 of MDZ and Lehtonen or replace with a similar guy 3.5
Peeke 1.5
Rookie contract 800k

7 D signed for 26.6 plus a couple 2 way contracts to fill it out.

Gav will get a promotion or move on. Maybe another rookie moves up in 23-24. If Peeke shows he is 2D he’ll get a raise. But the D is set if we add a good pick this year and Peeke pans out.

The Sharks have $26.5 tied up in Karlsson, Burns, and Vlasic alone. Those guys are 30, 36, and 34 and signed for years to come. That is a problem.

Colorado has $12.3 million tied up in Gerard, Toewes, and Graves in 22-23. What is Makar going to get? I don’t bridge him. I go 8 x whatever. $8.5 million? More? Lock him up until he is 30. By that time it is time to blow it up and rebuild anyway. That gets them to about $22 mill and they need a few more guys. The same range as the CBJ if we invest $18 mill in Seth and ZW.
IMHO would resign both Lehtonen and MDZ. As I wrote Mikko has a verz good with Gavrikov and this pair is quite good in offense too. I thought we could try Lehtonen with Werenski but why destroy good chemistry. If resign them two years we should have quite good salary space.

Jones...9,5
Werenski...8,5
Gavrikov...2,8
Lehtonen...2,0
MDZ...2,0
Peeke...1,5
Carlsson...1,5

IMHO Gustav is very underrated.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It`s a player whom I would like to see here, even more than a center.... Tom Wilson.
Marchenko, 1th Tampa/Toronto round for him. IMHO similar players are very important for every team. And Caps need young, talant players.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This is my Go For Broke scenario.

Before July 28th, make the following trades.

J.T. Miller for Patrik Laine

Alex Turcotte + 2 2nds for Zach Werenski
Jack Eichel for Turcotte + 2 2nds + CBJ 1st 2021 + Domi + Korpi

Andrew Copp for Liam Foudy, Copp re-signs at $3.8m x 5.

Then July 28th make these signings

Ryan Murray 2 years $3.2m per

Philip Danault 6 years $5.3m per

Tyson Barrie 5 years $7.2m per

Our roster looks like a good team to me

Miller - Eichel - Atkinson
Copp - Danault - Bjorkstrand
Nyquist - Roslovic - Bemstrom
Robinson - Texier - Jenner

Murray - Jones
Gavrikov - Barrie Hamilton?
Lehtonen - Peeke/Kukan

Merzlikins
Kivlenieks

That's a strong #1 scoring line, an elite hard minutes scoring line, an easy minutes scoring line that between Roslovic's creativity and improved shooting from Nyquist could run up the score, and a strong checking line full of guys that can play up in a pinch.

I'd rather have Werenski on D, but I'm still confident that a Murray-Jones pairing would be strong in both ends, and Barrie offers us a fantastic scorer from the back end. He can't defend but you need a guy you can double-shift when you're down a goal, and he's a better PPQB than Jones.

Edit: I've thought it over and I don't want Barrie. That leaves a couple options - fill in at RD with a cheaper guy (Montour?), and spend that cap on a better forward (Rakell?), or go cheaper at forward (minus one of Copp or Jenner?) so you can pay Hamilton $10m per. I like that latter option.

Last edited:
Reactions: rotsbu and CPTN71

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Alex Turcotte + 2 2nds for Zach Werenski
Jack Eichel for Turcotte + 2 2nds + CBJ 1st 2021 + Domi + Korpi

Andrew Copp for Liam Foudy, Copp re-signs at $3.8m x 5.

Then July 28th make these signings

Ryan Murray 2 years $3.2m per

Philip Danault 6 years $5.3m per

Tyson Barrie 5 years $7.2m per

Our roster looks like a good team to me

Miller - Eichel - Atkinson
Copp - Danault - Bjorkstrand
Nyquist - Roslovic - Bemstrom
Robinson - Texier - Jenner

Murray - Jones
Gavrikov - Barrie
Lehtonen - Peeke/Kukan

Merzlikins
Kivlenieks

That's a strong #1 scoring line, an elite hard minutes scoring line, an easy minutes scoring line that between Roslovic's creativity and improved shooting from Nyquist could run up the score, and a strong checking line full of guys that can play up in a pinch.

I'd rather have Werenski on D, but I'm still confident that a Murray-Jones pairing would be strong in both ends, and Barrie offers us a fantastic scorer from the back end. He can't defend but you need a guy you can double-shift when you're down a goal, and he's a better PPQB than Jones.
Laine for J.T. Miller... IMHO Canuck would be "happy"... :thumbu: (Laine`s value is slow now and his salary minimum 7,5 )
If translate...Werenski + Domi + Korpi + CBJ 1th + 2x2th rounds for.... Eichel... :thumbu:
Copp for Liam Foudy... Jets is the second "happy" team... :thumbu:
Murray who wanted to go out... resign again... :thumbu:

Final Cap Hit... $76,506,000 if I didn`t forget anything. Without Jones after the agreement. Roslovic in the 3th line, Texier in the 4th. Even Tampa`s third line is Coleman--Gourde--Goodrow, Toronto Mikheev--Nash--Kerfoot.

Btw there`re Las Vegas` lines Team Line Combinations - Daily Faceoff find me TOP or although 1C center. Plus there`s stats: Vegas Golden Knights at eliteprospects.com

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
What does everything think of a Brandon Saad reunion? We need LWers pretty bad and he’s still pretty solid. Won’t move needles but he’s good.

tenor.gif

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What does everything think of a Brandon Saad reunion? We need LWers pretty bad and he’s still pretty solid. Won’t move needles but he’s good.

tenor.gif

Is this supposed to mean you don't like the Miller-Laine swap?

I doubt we'd get the good version of Saad if he comes here, which seems unlikely in any case.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Miller is good. But no, I wouldn’t trade Laine for JT Miller.

Ok.

If we're going for broke I think Laine has to go in exchange for a developed reliable player. The need to develop Laine and the need to win now run against each other. If you're making the case to UFAs (and our players) that we're going for it, then making that swap is a good signal.

If we're rebuilding then I'm for keeping him.

Reactions: CPTN71

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Ok.

If we're going for broke I think Laine has to go in exchange for a developed reliable player. The need to develop Laine and the need to win now run against each other. If you're making the case to UFAs (and our players) that we're going for it, then making that swap is a good signal.

If we're rebuilding then I'm for keeping him.

I actually believe the opposite.

If we’re contending, you need home run hitters. There are few players in the league with Laine’s shot. Everyone knows this so I so I won’t go on about it. Yeah, we all know he has short comings and needs propped up by his linemates. However I do think a contending team could use him. If we’re going to go for broke, I don’t mind adding the other players you mentioned (although I don’t think LA gives up Turcotte for Werenski if they can just use turcotte to get Eichel for themselves) but trading Laine for Miller is a backwards move imo. And yeah I am aware of how he played in Vancouver and his near PPG stats.

As a rebuilding team you have to 1. Pay him and 2. Deal with him being miserable due to the losing. We’ve seen what he looks like on a losing team. He seems like he can get into massive ruts in his play and his mood if the team is losing and/or he’s not playing well. I don’t think he’d be one to go through a rebuild.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

If he'd come for no more than what he is making now I'd take him. He fits into the re-tooling approach. He's a UFA so there are no assets to be given up except cap space. Signing him & Danault makes cap space very tight if no one (Domi or Laine) is traded. We'd still be lacking that
elusive true 1C but adding those 2 make the Jackets a better team than if they aren't. Still not a Cup contender and maybe still a bubble team.

Reactions: CPTN71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If he'd come for no more than what he is making now I'd take him. He fits into the re-tooling approach. He's a UFA so there are no assets to be given up except cap space. Signing him & Danault makes cap space very tight if no one (Domi or Laine) is traded. We'd still be lacking that
elusive true 1C but adding those 2 make the Jackets a better team than if they aren't. Still not a Cup contender and maybe still a bubble team.

$6m per? Saad hasn't been that caliber of player in a long time. We had the best version of him.

Reactions: MoeBartoli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad