Proposal: Building for 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I prefer Paul Stastny. Yes, I know about his problems but he has excelent chemistry with Laine, good in defense, FO% and he can teach our young centers as Texier, maybe Foudy etc. So, we could take a center from our sources. Sign him for one year.
Btw, he can play on the wing too. Besides it doesn't mean he must play in TOP 6, maybe even TOP 9 the whole season. If Texier/Foudy/everybody improve their play he could play in the 4th line or on the wing.
Better than sign Eichel when nobody know anything about his injury and if he wants to play here, or Danault who wouldn't have to better than Texier in the future minimum. IMHO of course.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m all good for that. Kills penalties. Decent at faceoffs. Reliable defensively. And would be a nice veteran (wtf) for the team. Good player

RNH's scoring, outside of the Oilers PP, has fallen hard this year. He's certainly worth a call, he's responsible and versatile. But I have a feeling that we'll get him and still be doing this "Jackets searching for a #1C" thing next year. Last I checked his 5v5 scoring rate was below Roslovic and Domi this year. So that has me thinking a 6x6 offer is already quite generous.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So since it looks like Eichel needs major neck surgery, thoughts on a different potential trade target? Maybe they try and sign RNH?

His neck condition is something that obviously merits a deep investigation. Any acquiring team will need to get its own doctors there to evaluate him. Several other athletes have done this artificial disk surgery so we should have a sense of the range of outcomes. His condition doesn't scare me off. It would be great if it pushes the price down. I think taking some risk to get a star #1C makes sense with where the franchise is at right now.

Yes there are alternatives - J.T. Miller, Reinhart, RNH, Danault, Krejci, Hertl... maybe more.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The players who attended Monday’s meeting wouldn’t divulge the topics that were raised, or any details. But the conversation was said to run the gamut of emotions, from heart-to-heart pleas to slightly contentious challenges. And it ended on a good note.

“It was all very positive,” said one person who attended. “There’s only so much (Kekalainen) can tell us, but we brought up everything we wanted to. It was overall very positive, and now we’ll see where it goes.”

The Blue Jackets leadership group is comprised of forwards Cam Atkinson, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Boone Jenner and Gus Nyquist; and defensemen Jones and Zach Werenski. Bjorkstrand and Werenski were added recently after the trades of Foligno and David Savard.

The importance of Kekalainen’s performance at Monday’s meeting, and the way he handles the coming weeks, cannot be overstated.

Jones, one of the NHL’s top defensemen, is heading into the final year of his contract, with unrestricted free agency on the horizon next summer. The Blue Jackets will try to sign him to an extension this summer, and his willingness to sign long-term here will go a long way to determining the near-term future of the franchise.
As one player put it: “That’s the million-dollar … well, the multi-million dollar question, isn’t it?”

The Blue Jackets, as highlighted in recent quotes former Blue Jackets players, do not have a great reputation across the NHL for handling players, especially star players. But that’s an organizational issue, Jones said, not a city issue.

“Well, I don’t think there’s a problem with the city of Columbus, at all,” Jones said. “I think it gets a bad rap, a bad reputation as a city.

“Obviously, word of mouth travels, when it comes to certain things, and we have to figure out a way to be more of an attraction for free agents in the future — so we can become a better team.”

Blue Jackets hold emotional meeting with imminent decisions to make about Seth Jones, next coach and more

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7201

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Jones will resign , those are the comments of someone embracing the captaincy , and wanting all the tools to take Columbus to the next level

That’s not what it says to me. To me that’s him creating a safety net for himself. If he doesn’t sign he can say “it’s not like before with everyone else, I like it here, but it’s the organization.”

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
That’s not what it says to me. To me that’s him creating a safety net for himself. If he doesn’t sign he can say “it’s not like before with everyone else, I like it here, but it’s the organization.”

“Obviously, word of mouth travels, when it comes to certain things, and we have to figure out a way to be more of an attraction for free agents in the future — so we can become a better team.”

Reactions: LJ7201

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am curious what the pleas and challenges were. Was that the players begging Jarmo to get a 1C? Begging him not to go towards the rebuild? Us fans can debate whether to go the rebuild route, but the players would never accept it.

This has me wondering, since it's coming out at the same time as the other details of the meeting, if the leadership group is pushing to get rid of Laine. I've been pulling for the player but I wouldn't be surprised if that is the attitude in the room.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Translation - as an organization we need to signal a new era of loyalty by paying me twenty million dollars more than I'm worth.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

I know how to read. Including that quote. Lol

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
This has me wondering, since it's coming out at the same time as the other details of the meeting, if the leadership group is pushing to get rid of Laine. I've been pulling for the player but I wouldn't be surprised if that is the attitude in the room.

my thoughts as well

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I am curious what the pleas and challenges were. Was that the players begging Jarmo to get a 1C? Begging him not to go towards the rebuild? Us fans can debate whether to go the rebuild route, but the players would never accept it.

I can’t see a players meeting/ leaders of the team lobbying for their gm to trade a certain player . Talk about a fractured locker room if it doesn’t occur , if the gm doesn’t agree .
Most likely it’s the Brad’s or one of them , and Jarmo has seen the player for a long time , and will see what next year looks like

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I can’t see a players meeting/ leaders of the team lobbying for their gm to trade a certain player . Talk about a fractured locker room if it doesn’t occur , if the gm doesn’t agree .
Most likely it’s the Brad’s or one of them , and Jarmo has seen the player for a long time , and will see what next year looks like

It can't be the Brads, who have little sway even when they have jobs, which they might not going forward.

I find it very plausible that it's the leaders. They're the ones trying to restore the locker room, maybe they don't think that's possible with Laine present. That and/or they know things about Laine's lifestyle and professionalism that Jarmo doesn't know firsthand. Obviously I'm just throwing out guesses here, it could be that they don't have that big of an issue with Laine.

Reactions: EspenK

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
It can't be the Brads, who have little sway even when they have jobs, which they might not going forward.

I find it very plausible that it's the leaders. They're the ones trying to restore the locker room, maybe they don't think that's possible with Laine present. That and/or they know things about Laine's lifestyle and professionalism that Jarmo doesn't know firsthand.
I don’t know man .. that’s lots of speculation . I just can’t see players speaking up against one of their own to the gm. Your talking no returning from that . For example based on these tweets , your speculating the leaders of the room were against Laine , there’s no repairing that if he’s not moved . I just don’t see that as being plausible

Reactions: LJ7201

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don’t know man .. that’s lots of speculation . I just can’t see players speaking up against one of their own to the gm. Your talking no returning from that . For example based on these tweets , your speculating the leaders of the room were against Laine , there’s no repairing that if he’s not moved . I just don’t see that as being plausible
Maybe there are some signs, Nick Foligno said that with Patrick is good to play, but he has to learn to be a professional. And he had problems with it in Jets.

On the other hand even Portzline never said about his problems in the dressing room.

EDIT: if he wants to stay here there`re probably no problems in the dressing room. IMHO of course.

Last edited:

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I'm glad they had the meeting. Jarmo seems to thrive off these "hotly contested, almost crosses the line, brutally honest" shouting matches so hopefully that style of communication coming from the players helps the team as well.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
1) Reinhart
2) Kuznetsov
3) Danault( for match ups, midd6 longterm solution).
4) RNH( longterm 2C option).

1st 2 could be 1C options, the bottom 2 longterm midd6 options

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
1) Reinhart
2) Kuznetsov

I’d certainly like to add a top 6 center. At the same time I’ll be interested in what the new coaching staff can do with the center position. Wennberg netted 17 goals in 56 games this year, his first away from Columbus, after scoring 2 and 5 his prior years. Of course Wild Bill potted 43 when he left and has shown he’s a 20 goal scorer.

Ros and Domi look like they have offensive tools. Yes, their defense needs work. But I can’t help but wonder if our center woes are in part because the prior system’s defensive demands detracted from offense....just raising this as a possibility which would give me a touch more optimism.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
1) Reinhart
2) Kuznetsov

As much as I like Kuznetsov, his off ice troubles (not just the most notorious incident) has increased over the last few years. If he’s struggling adapting to team rules in Washington where he is literally playing with his idol, I don’t think it would get better here.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
1) Reinhart
2) Kuznetsov

1/. Reinhard - he played too much on the wing and it`s the question how he would play on the center
2/. Kuznetsov - very good but...Torts is gone.
3/. RNH - I doubt it.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

I translated this text Patrik Laine kertoo väleistään kohuvalmentaja John Tortorellaan: "Tuli huomattua, että hänelle on ihan sama, kuka olet tai kuinka paljon sinulla on palkkakuitissa nollia" . Of course any translator can`t be accurate but IMHO even this shows he has liked Columbus and Torts too, he would like to stay here. And one said his bad play was his problem not because of Torts or the team. Very good article I support to read it. So IMHO players wouldn`t have problems with Laine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad